Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:50:10 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469999 times)  Share 

trying.to.get.a.good.atar

• Adventurer
  • chem, bio, psych, methods, eng lang, health
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1830 on: May 29, 2022, 08:32:39 pm »
+2
Hi everyone. I have a Practical SAC upcoming and I had a question regarding it. The prac is on which retrieval method is better: free recall or recognition. The experiment found recognition to be more effective in retrieving memory but was the memory extracted from the Long term memory or was it a sensory memory that stayed in the short term memory and never got encoded to go to LTM. I'm not sure how to look at it as in it the experiment, the participants were only given 1-2 minutes to encode the information, which shouldn't be enough time for the memory to be formed as a LTM.
It would help heaps if anyone could answer this. Thanks!

1-2 minutes is actually enough time to encode information in LTM. Since the duration of STM is only 18-20 seconds anything remembered for longer than this (unless you are using maintenance rehearsal) will likely be in LTM.

The term 'long term memory' can be a bit deceiving as most people think this refers to information you remember for a 'long' time. Although that is of course sometimes the case it is definitely not always! Information is sometimes only held in long-term memory for a couple of minutes.

Hope this helps :)