Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:07:55 am

Author Topic: VCE SAC marking  (Read 2065 times)  Share 

supebeal

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: MHS
VCE SAC marking
« on: April 15, 2022, 11:09:17 am »
I did a VCE Chemistry SAC recently and after it had been assessed I found that the teachers had altered the marking allocation.  So questions that were worth 3 marks when I did the SAC were reduced to 1 mark during the marking process.  This happened with 4 questions.  Is this allowed?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: VCE SAC marking
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 12:50:40 pm »
It's not ideal

What i'd be more concerned about is whether these mark changes have been applied consistently across the whole cohort in terms of:
- Has the questions where the mark changes occurred applied to all students?
- Has the marking of this question now that the max mark has changed, been consistently applied (e.g. how does one get '1 mark' vs. '2 marks')?

Teachers usually follow a consistent marking guide when they mark SACs/assessment tasks - helps also with moderation. 
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

supebeal

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: MHS
Re: VCE SAC marking
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 10:47:10 am »
Yes, it was marked consistanty across the cohort.  I suspect it was more to do with achieving a bell curve to make it look like a better designed test than it actually was.   I lost marks due to this change, whereas others gained marks which makes me think it was to do with achieving a bell curve result.  I really just wanted to know how to challenge this as I am at a private school where all staff and principals cover each others back, no matter how out of line they are.  I have raised my concerns with the assistant principal and she sent back a note supporting the changes (although she had previously said in a conversation that this was not acceptable).  I also mentioned that I will be looking into my options and will come back to this after the holidays - trying to give myself enough time to find out how to approach this problem.  I need to know whether this is permissible as it changes the way I would have approached certain questions. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.