Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:58:21 am

Author Topic: English POV Oral-Statement of Intention  (Read 1227 times)  Share 

Sarah_w55

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
English POV Oral-Statement of Intention
« on: July 07, 2022, 07:23:18 pm »
Hi guys, I've been really struggling to write a statement of intention which fits my school's word limit of 350 words and meets ALL of the criteria points required. I'm generally a strong English student but tend to struggle with making my writing concise, and given that the word limit is 350, this is proving to be a problem. I was wondering whether anyone has a suggested STRUCTURE I could adopt which addresses the below criteria in a sophisticated yet succinct manner. (I initially tried to structure it like a language analysis essay in which I work through my analysis chronologically e.g. opening by... having...I then shift to... however I was a fair bit over the limit at around 500 words)

We were told to include context/why we chose the issue, our contention, target audience, purpose, and then analysis of our chosen structure including rebuttal placement, types of arguments (e.g. health-based or educated-based), tone, and specific language choices.

The rubric states the following: (for 9/10 marks out of 10)

Insightful articulation of the intention of decisions related to selected content and approach made during the planning process.
Deft and succinct analysis of the way style, structure and language choices reflect audience, purpose and context.
Sophisticated ability to select and sparingly cite examples that illustrate the overall intentions and strategies of the speech.

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: English POV Oral-Statement of Intention
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 07:32:39 pm »
+2
Hi guys, I've been really struggling to write a statement of intention which fits my school's word limit of 350 words and meets ALL of the criteria points required. I'm generally a strong English student but tend to struggle with making my writing concise, and given that the word limit is 350, this is proving to be a problem. I was wondering whether anyone has a suggested STRUCTURE I could adopt which addresses the below criteria in a sophisticated yet succinct manner. (I initially tried to structure it like a language analysis essay in which I work through my analysis chronologically e.g. opening by... having...I then shift to... however I was a fair bit over the limit at around 500 words)

We were told to include context/why we chose the issue, our contention, target audience, purpose, and then analysis of our chosen structure including rebuttal placement, types of arguments (e.g. health-based or educated-based), tone, and specific language choices.

The rubric states the following: (for 9/10 marks out of 10)

Insightful articulation of the intention of decisions related to selected content and approach made during the planning process.
Deft and succinct analysis of the way style, structure and language choices reflect audience, purpose and context.
Sophisticated ability to select and sparingly cite examples that illustrate the overall intentions and strategies of the speech.

Have you tried the FLAPC (form, language, audience, purpose, context) structure?

When I did English, we were allowed a more generous word limit (500), you may still find it challenging to squeeze in everything, but this is the most concise statement of intention structure according to my teacher.

Form = how did you structure your speech

Language = what persuasive techniques did you use, how would you describe your tone

Purpose = intended effect

Audience = specific identification of your audience

Context = what topic relevant in the media is your speech based on
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

RaspberryTau

• Trailblazer
  • "I'm just trying to get myself some gravity";
  • Respect: +6
Re: English POV Oral-Statement of Intention
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 09:32:13 pm »
I wish I saw this two days ago - damn. That actually tells you what to write! Our rubric just says this:

"Insightful articulation of the intention of decisions related to selected content and approach made during the planning process, demonstrating complex understanding of purpose, audience and context."

Which to me pretty much just sounds like a bunch of waffle. I agree with Billuminati in that FLAPC is what we were told to use. We were also told "300-500 words" - but I think people last year wen way over and still got 100%. Idk.

Anyway - good luck with it all! :)
VCE 2021: Methods (42 raw), Biology (46 raw); 2022: Chemistry, English, Spec, Physics