Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:46:27 am

Author Topic: Glucose in its natural state  (Read 9903 times)  Share 

--whiteskies

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Glucose in its natural state
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:06:10 pm »
+1
I'm a bit relieved to have stumbled upon atarnotes, amazing help from amazing people  :)
I was working through some non-exam style bio questions and there was this one question that was just kicking me in the face because it looked like a very simple question that I didn't know how to approach or answer:
Where is the monosaccharide glucose found in its natural state?
Thanks heaps!
[2013]: Biology | Mathematical Methods (CAS)
[2014]: Chemistry | Psychology | English | Further Mathematics | UMEP Biology
[2015]: Biomedical Science @ Monash

Tutoring for Psychology and Further Mathematics - PM for details!

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
Re: Glucose in its natural state
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »
I'm a bit relieved to have stumbled upon atarnotes, amazing help from amazing people  :)
I was working through some non-exam style bio questions and there was this one question that was just kicking me in the face because it looked like a very simple question that I didn't know how to approach or answer:
Thanks heaps!

In all sorts of places, blood is one example!
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:01 pm »
Thanks heaps!

Yes, these sorts of questions appear simple but they really do get you to think. Glucose in its natural state can be found in many places. If you're getting stuck, perhaps reflect where you could find some polysaccharides either in a cell or organism. :)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »
Would food be a correct answer or not?:\

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:40:21 pm »
Perhaps so in non-processed products. :)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Yacoubb

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:45:50 pm »
Glucose is a monosaccharide that can basically be found anywhere, (to be specific I would probably say the cytosol of a cell when it is undergoing Glycolysis (i.e. of Cellular Respiration), because it is an organic product broken up during cellular respiration to release Adenosine Tri-phosphate. That question would require a really ambiguous answer and as you have specified, it is a (non-exam style) question, so VCAA would probably not ask that. It is helpful to know that it can be anywhere though :)

Yacoubb

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:47:39 pm »
I just thought of something; can we say that it is found in the liver in an inactive form (glucagon). Glucagon is basically excess glucose that has been transferred to glucagon and stored in the liver until further use. Advice on whether that is a potential answer or whether I am completely wrong lol!

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:49:41 pm »
I just thought of something; can we say that it is found in the liver in an inactive form (glucagon). Glucagon is basically excess glucose that has been transferred to glucagon and stored in the liver until further use. Advice on whether that is a potential answer or whether I am completely wrong lol!

Glycogen not glucagon. Glucagon is a peptide hormone that signals to the liver cells to release glycogen.

And nah; glycogen and glucose are not the same thing. They are two different molecules; one is a polymer. It's like calling ethene and polythene the same substance :)
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

Yacoubb

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:54:34 pm »
Lesson learnt; that is true though, glucagon is a hormone secreted by the pancreas to increase blood glucose levels to maintain a relatively stable internal environment within narrow ranges [homeostasis]. And of course glycogen is a storage of energy in animal cells... a polysaccharide. Glucose is a monosaccharide.

I think that we should just stick to 'It can be found anywhere' hehe :) Thanks TRex.

GreenLemon

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:47 pm »
Glucose is a monosaccharide that can basically be found anywhere, (to be specific I would probably say the cytosol of a cell when it is undergoing Glycolysis (i.e. of Cellular Respiration), because it is an organic product broken up during cellular respiration to release Adenosine Tri-phosphate.

The breakdown of glucose doesn't directly release Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). It is rather the energy from the glucose breakdown during cellular respiration that is utilised to synthesise ATP from Adenosine Diphosphate (ADP) and inorganic phosphate. (The enzyme ATP synthase catalyses this reaction.) I know I'm being a little pedantic, but I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea :)

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 05:18:49 pm »
Perhaps so in non-processed products. :)

Yeah that's what I was thinking

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »
it is a (non-exam style) question, so VCAA would probably not ask that.

Actually, I think it's a legitimate question :)

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:04:30 pm »
I think it's a little bit ambiguous as theoretically glucose can be found in small quantities just about anywhere, if VCAA where to ask it, they would potentially precede it with a lead in question and say perhaps where is a significant quantity of glucose most likely to be found (A) (B) (C) (D) IMO

Yacoubb

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:47:20 pm »
The breakdown of glucose doesn't directly release Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). It is rather the energy from the glucose breakdown during cellular respiration that is utilised to synthesise ATP from Adenosine Diphosphate (ADP) and inorganic phosphate. (The enzyme ATP synthase catalyses this reaction.) I know I'm being a little pedantic, but I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea :)

Of course, its a chain of reactions that eventually produce these ATP molecules per molecule of glucouse. My response was a bit ambiguous because I skimmed over the concept very quickly. Further during the year I'll delve in deeper to the various stages of cellular respiration (Glycolysis, Kreb's Cycle and the Electron Transport chain) - once again remembering that:

Glycolysis - the release of 2 ATP molecules/molecule of glucose.
Kreb's Cycle - the release of 2 ATP molecules/molecule of glucose.
Electron Transport Chain - the release of 32-34 ATP molecules/molecule of glucose.

:) I appreciate your help though; I need to rectify those tiny answers in my responses for the pedantic VCAA assessors.

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:40:12 pm »
+1
Of course, its a chain of reactions that eventually produce these ATP molecules per molecule of glucouse. My response was a bit ambiguous because I skimmed over the concept very quickly. Further during the year I'll delve in deeper to the various stages of cellular respiration (Glycolysis, Kreb's Cycle and the Electron Transport chain) - once again remembering that:

Glycolysis - the release of 2 ATP molecules/molecule of glucose.
Kreb's Cycle - the release of 2 ATP molecules/molecule of glucose.
Electron Transport Chain - the release of 32-34 ATP molecules/molecule of glucose.

:) I appreciate your help though; I need to rectify those tiny answers in my responses for the pedantic VCAA assessors.

For glycolysis, you might want to say that there's a net output of 2 ATP molecules
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:47:30 pm by Scooby »
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)