Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 02:12:54 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3608002 times)  Share 

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 11:06:52 pm »
Yep, thanks for the reminder

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 11:11:46 pm »
+2
So I'm guessing for the purpose of VCE biology, both models are essentially correct?

In some respects, yes. I didn't explain it very well earlier to be honest!

Induced fit is what is right, but it's a bit cumbersome to explain and a bit of a conceptual pain in the arse.
Lock-and-key is wrong, but it's nearly good enough. In reality, a substrate does kind of fit into an active site like a key into a lock and that is why it works. It just misses that vital reshaping.

Conceptually, lock-and-key runs into road blocks when you start to look at inhibition and the effect of heat and high pH etc on proteins. So if you're asked really specifically how the action works, go with induced fit. Most often though you'll get questions that show an enzyme and a substrate and ask which goes with which; that's a clear exercise in lock-and-key.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2013, 12:21:41 am »
+1
How to plant cell membranes maintain fluidity if they lack cholesterol? I'm guessing they have some structure of similar function?

Yacoubb

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 01:37:27 am »
+1
How to plant cell membranes maintain fluidity if they lack cholesterol? I'm guessing they have some structure of similar function?

The polyunsaturated fatty acid chains buried in the inside of the phosopholipid bi-layer retain fluidity of the membrane, even in the absence of cholestrol.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 10:21:32 am »

I'd just like to point out that this is something that's definitely beyond the scope of VCE Biology. While I do recommend reading beyond the course boundaries, it's still really important that you have an awareness for those boundaries nonetheless.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 01:39:15 pm »
+1
The polyunsaturated fatty acid chains buried in the inside of the phosopholipid bi-layer retain fluidity of the membrane, even in the absence of cholestrol.

Thanks!!

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 01:41:24 pm »
+1
I'd just like to point out that this is something that's definitely beyond the scope of VCE Biology. While I do recommend reading beyond the course boundaries, it's still really important that you have an awareness for those boundaries nonetheless.

Oh okay, thanks for the heads up though!

Yacoubb

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2013, 01:53:27 pm »

So important! Don't deviate from the VCE Biology scope; I did and it didn't help me in any way. In fact, it probably affected my knowledge because I didn't focus on things required for VCE Biology because I was too busy learning the enzymes for the Calvin Cycle.

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 02:04:02 pm »
+1
Does the study design seem slightly vague in terms of what is expected of us to know, or is that just me?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »
+2
Don't deviate from the VCE Biology scope; I did and it didn't help me in any way.

Told you so ;) It will help you later on though. And in some respects is probably kept you interested.

Does the study design seem slightly vague in terms of what is expected of us to know, or is that just me?

All of them are vague.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 02:23:30 pm »
So important! Don't deviate from the VCE Biology scope; I did and it didn't help me in any way. In fact, it probably affected my knowledge because I didn't focus on things required for VCE Biology because I was too busy learning the enzymes for the Calvin Cycle.

Oh, it's just that I got this information from a TSFX booklet, so I'm assuming that it's all important information?
And also, apparently since the study design has been changed, it seems we aren't expected to know every intricate detail about photosynthesis and respiration... and I agree with @oddly, the study design is kinda vague in specifying these things.

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 02:26:55 pm »
I'm contemplating on purchasing A+ Notes, but is it necessary if one already has the TSFX notes?
Briefly going through the A+ notes, they seem very concise. And as MM1 has brought up, the TSFX notes seem unnecessarily comprehensive?

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 02:59:43 pm »
+2

The new study design isn't nearly as vague as the old one. You'll understand if you see the table summarising the changes made.

To be honest, there's a lot in VCE Biology that's incredibly vague - I'm talking about most extended response questions, actually. For most of the year I really had no idea where I was sitting and I still had no idea after the exam (one user here may recall a PM where I predicted I'd get 36-40 in Biology XD). You're going to see a lot of practice questions over the course of the year and go "What the hell is this asking?" or "What exactly does it want me to say?". My advice is to get as much exposure to past questions as you possibly can so that you start to develop some awareness for what the assessor is looking for. It does get a little bit better over time but it takes a lot of getting used to.

As someone who didn't do Units 1 & 2 either, I also found studying the subject in general a bit vague at times - I didn't exactly know what was necessary and what wasn't and didn't know which information to pick out from all the resources. Eventually I did find a methodical way to study through it all and this is the only thing I can put my 50 down to.

I'm contemplating on purchasing A+ Notes, but is it necessary if one already has the TSFX notes?
Briefly going through the A+ notes, they seem very concise. And as MM1 has brought up, the TSFX notes seem unnecessarily comprehensive?

I got so overwhelmed with all this information that I pretty much neglected all my other resources (Biozone and Biol Notes) and sourced nearly all of my content from Nature of Biology. However, my school booklist required me to purchase StudyOn, which is just an online resource that organises all the past VCAA questions by topic. This was how I revised all year and I think it was a massive help. You'll eventually see that each company has a slightly different style and approach in their questions so practicing only on VCAA questions was probably quite beneficial since I got a glimpse into what the assessors are actually looking for.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Literature is the question minus the answer.
  • Respect: +201
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2013, 03:03:50 pm »
+1
The new study design isn't nearly as vague as the old one. You'll understand if you see the table summarising the changes made.

To be honest, there's a lot in VCE Biology that's incredibly vague - I'm talking about most extended response questions, actually. For most of the year I really had no idea where I was sitting and I still had no idea after the exam (one user here may recall a PM where I predicted I'd get 36-40 in Biology XD). You're going to see a lot of practice questions over the course of the year and go "What the hell is this asking?" or "What exactly does it want me to say?". My advice is to get as much exposure to past questions as you possibly can so that you start to develop some awareness for what the assessor is looking for. It does get a little bit better over time but it takes a lot of getting used to.

As someone who didn't do Units 1 & 2 either, I also found studying the subject in general a bit vague at times - I didn't exactly know what was necessary and what wasn't and didn't know which information to pick out from all the resources. Eventually I did find a methodical way to study through it all and this is the only thing I can put my 50 down to.

I got so overwhelmed with all this information that I pretty much neglected all my other resources (Biozone and Biol Notes) and sourced nearly all of my content from Nature of Biology. However, my school booklist required me to purchase StudyOn, which is just an online resource that organises all the past VCAA questions by topic. This was how I revised all year and I think it was a massive help. You'll eventually see that each company has a slightly different style and approach in their questions so practicing only on VCAA questions was probably quite beneficial since I got a glimpse into what the assessors are actually looking for.

I fully endorse Studyon as well. Like Stick it was part of my booklist for 2014 and from what i have trialed it has been a huge help so far.

The combo of Nature of Biology, Biozone and Studyon has proved fantastic for me.
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

Griffith University Gold Coast Queensland
2015 - 2017 Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc)
2017 - 2021 Doctor of Medicine (MD)

DJA's Guide to Language Analysis (Section C)
DJA's guide on the topic of English Expression (Text response)

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 04:47:21 pm »
So I'm guessing for the purpose of VCE biology, both models are essentially correct?
just run with lock and key for VCE biology
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020