Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:26:25 pm

Author Topic: Need help for bio sac:(  (Read 1106 times)  Share 

55232Jeremy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Need help for bio sac:(
« on: March 07, 2020, 11:22:02 pm »
Hi guys, im new here but i urgently need help for bio as i have a sac next week.
Here i have attached an experiment that my teacher has sent. Could someone help identify the IV and DV for me as well as some possible limitations or controlled variables?
Also, any tips on how to do well in bio? thanks!  :P

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:28:53 pm by 55232Jeremy »

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: Need help for bio sac:(
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 12:47:24 am »
+7
Hello,

So the independent variable is what is changed during the experiment. In this case it seams to be the temperature from a quick glance.
The dependent variable is what you are measuring in the experiment. This is the bubbles that are produced from the CO2 being generated. So you could say bubbles, or you can also use bubbles generated by carbon dioxide.

Controlled variables are what remain constant/ the same throughout the experiment. In the one you have attached.
  • The amount of sugar
  • The amount of yeast
  • The amount of water
  • Same size equipment e.g 1000mL beaker

Limitation are generally things that can affect the result. In this instance it could be that the experiment needs to be repeated a few times to make it more precise.  The yeast may not be active/fresh (yeast can not work properly if stored incorrectly, some active yeasts in stores need to be refrigerated after opening) which could affect how well it ferments sugars so less CO2. Bubbles aren't a supper reliable way of measuring, due to human error you may misread the results etc.
I am a tad rusty on my bio knowledge but I hope this helps.

When it comes to general tips to help in bio, I don't really have much to say. However, make sure you know your content inside and out, even just the basic concepts. Look at how things link together over the year. I would advise doing practice questions, and if you ever get stuck, always ask for help. Experimental design always has a question on the exam, so make sure you know these by the end of the year, and for your poster SAC in unit 4.
Good luck.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

55232Jeremy

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:46:53 am »
Hello,

So the independent variable is what is changed during the experiment. In this case it seams to be the temperature from a quick glance.
The dependent variable is what you are measuring in the experiment. This is the bubbles that are produced from the CO2 being generated. So you could say bubbles, or you can also use bubbles generated by carbon dioxide.

Controlled variables are what remain constant/ the same throughout the experiment. In the one you have attached.
  • The amount of sugar
  • The amount of yeast
  • The amount of water

Limitation are generally things that can affect the result. In this instance it could be that the experiment needs to be repeated a few times to make it more precise.  The yeast may not be active/fresh (yeast can not work properly if stored incorrectly, some active yeasts in stores need to be refrigerated after opening) which could affect how well it ferments sugars so less CO2. Bubbles aren't a supper reliable way of measuring, due to human error you may misread the results etc.

When it comes to general tips to help in bio, I don't really have much to say. However, make sure you know your content inside and out, even just the basic concepts. Look at how things link together over the year. I would advise doing practice questions, and if you ever get stuck, always ask for help. Experimental design always has a question on the exam, so make sure you know these by the end of the year, and for your poster SAC in unit 4.
Good luck.

Thank you :)!

55232Jeremy

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 01:03:49 pm »
Hello,

• The amount of sugar
  • The amount of yeast
  • The amount of water

Good luck.

Hiya, so one more thing i forgot to mention. Would the control group of this experiment be the icebucket or at room temperature? or no control group at all?
Cheers  :)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 05:25:45 pm »
+1
Hiya, so one more thing i forgot to mention. Would the control group of this experiment be the icebucket or at room temperature? or no control group at all?
Cheers  :)
I would day that the control group is room temp, as you would compared those base results to all the other temperatures. If your not sure, ask you teacher.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash