Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:38 am

Author Topic: tips  (Read 5086 times)  Share 

s0m30n312345

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
tips
« on: February 27, 2022, 11:09:19 pm »
+1
So, I'm doing 3/4 bio this year and so far I'm not doing too bad, but its not the best either, so I want to improve, but I'm not quite sure how to. So if anyone has any tips on how I could do better, it would be greatly appreciated :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:14:31 pm by s0m30n312345 »

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Re: tips
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 06:56:38 pm »
+1
You’ve probably heard this before, but doing past exam questions is very helpful for bio. It gives you an idea of the types of questions on exams and how to answer them, and they’re often a similar style to sac questions too. This also helps you know if you understand the content well enough and what you need to revise more, as you need to be able to apply the content rather than just remember it.

Also, if you don’t understand something, try finding a different explanation (e.g. videos, textbooks, other teachers). Sometimes it can help to have something explained a different way.
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)

little_creative_journals

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 08:08:36 pm »
+2
Hello! I'm currently in year 12 but I still have a few tips that might be helpful. If you're looking to improve at biology (and any other content heavy subject), I think using active revision techniques in general are really helpful when studying. This includes practice questions to apply your knowledge (as already mentioned), as well teaching somebody (or pretending to), using blurting techniques (where you write a subtopic heading on the top of a piece of paper and blurt everything you can remember onto the page generally for a set amount of time), drawing diagrams and explaining content visually from memory, creating mind-maps of the content your remember, etc. Active techniques allow you to actually retrieve information stored in your brain, which is what you will have to do in the exam. Passive techniques like reading the textbook or writing notes can be counterproductive when you're revising (this is important when learning and understanding the content, not when revising it since it will actually waste time). I also recommend creating an error log for all your SAC mistakes or for homework/practice question errors. Therefore you can return to these questions later on before the exam or another SAC to ensure you understand the question and can apply your knowledge to obtain the correct answer. Make sure to also ask your teacher for help whenever you're confused or stuck on a question since it can make the world of a difference! ;D
༚✧VCE 2020 - 2022✧༚

2021 - Visual Communication and Design [43]

2022 - English | Further Maths | Chemistry | Biology

2023 - Science!!! Interested in pharmacology and immunology (basically, I love all things human biology) ☁️

s0m30n312345

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 10:52:31 pm »
thank you!! I will definitely be applying these :)

Abigail Shaw

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 09:51:24 pm »
I am also facing the same situation as yours, and choosing a tutoring program - https://www.evokelearning.ca/tutoring/math-remediation-and-tutoring-programs/ -worked well for me. Not only did it help me understand complex concepts, but it also helped me boost my confidence in the subject. I was blessed to find an experienced tutor who helped identify the key areas from the examination point of view. He also provided previous question papers and materials, which helped me a lot.