Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:58 pm

Author Topic: thermoregulation  (Read 1611 times)  Share 

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +8
thermoregulation
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:56:02 pm »
what exactly do the terms; ectothermic heterotherm, physiological endotherm, and behavioural ectotherm refer to? :S
Monash University
Science/Engineering (Maths, Physics and Electrical Engineering)

jess3254

Re: thermoregulation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:04:01 pm »
Ok well, I'm not exactly sure, but basically: (I haven't done this in VCE yet, however I did this in the IB)

As you probably know, the process of controlling body temperature is called 'thermoregulation'

*Heterothermy describes an animal whose body temperature remains constant
*Ectotherms warms its body mainly by absorbing heat from its surroundings. So it basically depends on its environment for heat energy.
*endotherms derive most or all of its body heat from its own metabolism.

I suspect the terms you mentioned (physiological endotherm and behavioural ectotherm) refer to the physiological and behavioural adjustments that are involved in thermoregulation (although I'm not quite sure, as behavioural and physiological apply to both endothermic and ectothermic animals.)

So, both ectothermic and endothermic animals thermoregulate using some or a combination of up to four general 'categories' or adaptations.

1- PHYSIOLOGICAL:
a) Adjusting the rate of heat exchange between the animal and its surroundings. Body insulation such as hair, feathers, and fat located just beneath the skin, reduce an animal's heat loss.
b) Cooling by evaporative heat loss. Endoterms and ectotherms lose water in breathing and across their skin.
c) Changing the metabolic rate of heat production. This category of thermoregulation only applies to endotherms, particularly mammals and birds.

3- BEHAVIOURAL: a) Many animals can increase or decrease body heat loss by relocating. They will bask in the sun or on warm rocks in winter; find cool, damp areas or burnrow in summer; or even migrate to a more stable environment.

Hope it helps...