Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:51:10 am

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment?  (Read 61485 times)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2021, 09:53:01 am »
+4
As my mental health has taken a toll (yet again), I'm currently spending a majority of my time with my head in book and this week's contender is Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen! I'll update you guys as soon as I finish :)
I love Pride & Pride Prejudice! Hope you're enjoying it!
---
My transport read atm is A Dark and Hollow Star by Ashley Shuttleworth, and it's a pretty good faerie book - and I'm loving the whole cast of characters so far <3
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2021, 08:31:54 pm »
+1
Just finished reading 'Gone With the Wind'. I really enjoyed it, but it certainly was a long read (1000 pages). I really liked the in-depth descriptions, particularly of nature, it painted really nice imagery in my mind.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2021, 08:44:25 pm »
+5
Currently on the second 'Loveda Brown' book. It's a fun, lighthearted read by an author who knows how to combine humour and serious subject matters. The first book - well, I recommend it, despite it catching me entirely flat-footed by the presence of occasional swearing - although a twist threw me for a loop and the character involved (no spoilers!) seemed to go out of character and suffer from inadequate foreshadowing. The second I'm not far enough into to know if I would recommend it. So far, yes, but not to the standard of the first book, the opening of which made me laugh aloud, which few books do.
The books are on Amazon, author Jolie Tunnell, first book 'The Great Loveda Brown'. I have the first three although not the fourth one, released recently. I wouldn't be surprised if I purchased it (I collared the ebooks of the first three in a giveaway which was nice! :))).
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

wingdings2791

• Trendsetter
  • I'm going back to the start
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #273 on: July 17, 2021, 09:13:47 pm »
+1
Currently on the second 'Loveda Brown' book. It's a fun, lighthearted read by an author who knows how to combine humour and serious subject matters. The first book - well, I recommend it, despite it catching me entirely flat-footed by the presence of occasional swearing - although a twist threw me for a loop and the character involved (no spoilers!) seemed to go out of character and suffer from inadequate foreshadowing. The second I'm not far enough into to know if I would recommend it. So far, yes, but not to the standard of the first book, the opening of which made me laugh aloud, which few books do.
The books are on Amazon, author Jolie Tunnell, first book 'The Great Loveda Brown'. I have the first three although not the fourth one, released recently. I wouldn't be surprised if I purchased it (I collared the ebooks of the first three in a giveaway which was nice! :))).

Just from your description and looking at its cover, it really reminds me of A Series of Unfortunate Events! I feel like you've certainly already read it :) Sounds intriguing though, mystery is such a great genre and so satisfying when it's written well.

I've just started Anna Karenina, which I purchased over a year ago and finally had the chance to pick up. After hearing that it goes through a dry patch in the middle, I don't think I've reached it yet. So far, I really like the super frank but still measured style; it's kind of like reading Jane Austen sometimes. It does seem more comedic than dramatic and depressing up until now though, so I'm excited to see what will unfold.
ATAR: 99.75
UCAT: 95th

2022-2025: B. Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #274 on: July 17, 2021, 10:39:56 pm »
+1
Just from your description and looking at its cover, it really reminds me of A Series of Unfortunate Events! I feel like you've certainly already read it :) Sounds intriguing though, mystery is such a great genre and so satisfying when it's written well.
If you enjoy mystery - I've never really got into it as a genre - I'd really recommend the series!
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2021, 11:44:56 pm »
I went from a pretty brutal crime book (Body of Evidence) straight to a ya horror/fantasy mashup (the Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker). Guess I won't be sleeping tonight either 😂🙈

(I also plan to read the final book in an author's friend's fantasy trilogy (The Order of the Rose) - The Innocent before the end of lockdown maybe - that'll lead me to Frankenstein and I have a gorgeous copy of that :D )

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2021, 05:03:32 pm »
Because I never seem to only read one book at a time, I'm currently rererererereading Thunderhead. It's my favourite of that trilogy, and weirdly enough I suspect that's because of the Nell/Rob arc, an unusual thing for me to enjoy - after all, they almost separate! However, the happy ending and the sheer brilliance with which it is written I do love.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Garrett Green

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2021, 12:54:31 am »
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (HPMOR) now. Is a Harry Potter fan fiction by Eliezer Yudkowsky.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #278 on: November 28, 2021, 04:03:53 pm »
I'm halfway through C.S. Pacat's new book Dark Rise. It is an excellent LGBTQIA+ YA fantasy, and Pacat is also an Australian author!

little_creative_journals

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #279 on: November 28, 2021, 07:57:18 pm »
+2
I'm currently reading Ruin and Rising (the third book in the Shadow and Bone Trilogy) and I'm absolutely loving it so far! I can't wait to read The Six of Crows Duology!
༚✧VCE 2020 - 2022✧༚

2021 - Visual Communication and Design [43]

2022 - English | Further Maths | Chemistry | Biology

2023 - Science!!! Interested in pharmacology and immunology (basically, I love all things human biology) ☁️

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2021, 06:45:40 am »
I'm currently reading Ruin and Rising (the third book in the Shadow and Bone Trilogy) and I'm absolutely loving it so far! I can't wait to read The Six of Crows Duology!

I've been meaning to read the Shadow and Bone Trilogy for ages! What were your thouhgts?

I just finished Picoult's The Book of Two Ways. It was really good, but definitely not my favourite of her books. It makes use of the multiverse theory (the idea that in another world there is a version of you with a different life because you made a different decision and that the universe splits every time you make a decision) and shows the protagonist's life if she gets on a plane to Egypt to see her old boyfriend or on a plane to England to go back to her husband.

The plot was very interesting but the characters were a bit lack-lustre.