Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:02 pm

Author Topic: How to get a 50 in Bio - My tips  (Read 54255 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Re: How to get a 50 in Bio - My tips
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »
I am currently in year 10 doing Bio 1+2 and completing it in year 12. Any tips? I am doing it via Distance Ed (my stupid school does not have the numbers to open a class), and so I have to do it this way. I am also finishing Further 3+4 next year, and I was wondering if I could receive any tips about the ambiguous, or so I hear, exam questions.

Flying Emu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:02 am »
+3
According to your signature it says you're completing bio it in year 11, not 12 :o

mgirl7296

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Kilvington Baptist Girls' Grammar School
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
Any tips for Unit 4 prep?

VCE1996

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:53 pm »
Hi there,

how many marks can one afford to lose to get 45+?
especially cuz this year there is no mid year, would this exam be harder or easier than usual?

thanks

Yacoubb

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »
+1
Hi there,

how many marks can one afford to lose to get 45+?
especially cuz this year there is no mid year, would this exam be harder or easier than usual?

thanks

I reckon 45+, try and get 100/110. That should do for a 45+. Obviously, the higher, the better! A 50 I reckon would be 105+/110.

VCE1996

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »
How many trial exams do u recommend doing?

Yacoubb

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 08:29:13 pm »
How many trial exams do u recommend doing?

Its not about quantity; its about quality. I'd say around 30 would do. Just make sure that when you correct your exams, you really retain memory of how you'll express your answers. Make sure that you fill up gaps in your knowledge and really just try and perfect your expression. In the end, your expression is paramount!

walkec

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 09:40:51 pm »
Any tips for someone who finds bio quite challenging in comparision to the rest of their subjects?
Would you recommend getting a tutor? I get the concepts in class, but come test time I forget some of the answers and then realise my mistakes when I get back the paper..

How much preparation is recommended over summer? I want to start off the year on a good foot with all my subjects, but especially biology.

Yacoubb

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 09:55:42 pm »
Any tips for someone who finds bio quite challenging in comparision to the rest of their subjects?
Would you recommend getting a tutor? I get the concepts in class, but come test time I forget some of the answers and then realise my mistakes when I get back the paper..

How much preparation is recommended over summer? I want to start off the year on a good foot with all my subjects, but especially biology.
[/quote

Personally I never though a tutor was necessary. The concepts are relatively straightforward, and getting a set of notes from companies such as TSFX or even the ATARnotes guide would be great. Plus, there are SO many smart people on AN that you could clarify all your queries with. I reckon finishing AOS 1 of unit 3 over the summer, plus skimming lightly through AOS 2 of unit 3, would suffice. You'll get a head start pretty much for term 1, and at least in class, you'll be in a position to fine tune your knowledge, as opposed to learning it all in class.

Biology is a subject that requires time, so you should dedicate a fair bit of time to it. I mean, doing it in year 11, I have found much more luxury with time, and I've invested a lot more time than if I had been in year 12.

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 03:54:06 pm »
+1

Hi, sorry for the really late reply!
I feel Biology can be quite challenging because you have to simultaneously know the material and be able to adapt and utilise it whilst simultaneously interpreting difficult questions and information

I think as with every subject preparation during summer helps a lot, but in many ways it's probably not necessary to learn the whole course as you've got a lot on your plate next year.

Start with the content and try to get as much done as you feel comfortable doing, which will give you a headstart and maybe make it easier for you during the year reducing your workload

I would work through the textbook, if you plan on making notes and it helps you learn thats great, if not, maybe just highlight the important stuff and knock down the revision questions for a few chapters. I wouldn't think you need to start anything like doing exam papers and such.

If you find you know the content but are making mistakes, make sure you truly not only know your content inside out and can utilise it fluently in different scenarios. The best way to do this is practice by answering questions. Sit down, look at a question, think about what it's really asking, plan out your response in your head before you put pen to paper at the start. Take it slowly and try to actively engage with the question would be the most ideal method

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
Hi,
Where can I access/obtain VCAA 1997-1999 past papers?
Cheers :)

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »
+1
I think the easiest way is to get them off your school, they should have been given a CD rom with past papers.
I do not think it is necessary to go so far back though

Fingerscrossed

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »
Hi,

I was just wondering how many marks you can afford to lose in Biology SACs to get a 50 at the end of the year? Our SACs at school are incredibly difficult, and there are only 14 people doing the subject...

Thanks!

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 08:59:41 pm »
Hi,

I was just wondering how many marks you can afford to lose in Biology SACs to get a 50 at the end of the year? Our SACs at school are incredibly difficult, and there are only 14 people doing the subject...

Thanks!

Wouldn't that depend a lot on how well you did on the exam?

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 09:42:41 pm »
+1
Back in my day (the good old days of midyear exams ahaha), you'd usually have to get 70+/75 on both exams to get a 50. Not sure about now, but probably something like 104-106+/110 would get you a 50. Depends on your SACs and the A+ cut off though, of course 
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)