Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:18 am

Author Topic: Useful links and posts regarding select-entry school tests  (Read 65612 times)  Share 

MayankAnand

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Buckley Park
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Re: Useful links and posts regarding select-entry school tests
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 10:21:31 am »
Hey guys, I got an interview into Suzzane CORY and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of questions they will ask me, and what I should answer. And if it a group interview or just one on one, because they said that the interview was going to take an hour and a half long. The interview is in a few days so if anyone could answers asap that would be greatly appreciated.  ;D
When was this? Did you get the interview today, and did they email you? Did you sit the Year 11 or 10 entry test?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 11:11:32 am »
+2
and what I should answer

You should answer whatever comes naturally to you. No rights and wrongs. You either deserve a place or you don't.

MayankAnand

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 11:26:40 am »
You should answer whatever comes naturally to you. No rights and wrongs. You either deserve a place or you don't.
Hey Pi,
I've got the EBSS exam this Sarurday, for the year 11 entry. Could you please give me some tips?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 08:26:55 pm »
Hey Pi,
I've got the EBSS exam this Sarurday, for the year 11 entry. Could you please give me some tips?

In all honesty, EBSS didn't even exist when I was at school, so I've got no advice unfortunately. Best of luck though, tell us how it goes :)

disone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 09:40:06 pm »
I got it last week. Thanks Pi but like don't you think that like there specific ways to answer some questions.
What kind of questions will they ask me ?
And specific should my answers be and what I should avoid?
Also does anyone know whether it will be a group interview or a one on one interview because it said that it would take and hour and a half?
And do u think that I could get in with 2superiors 2 above average (second best)  1 high average (third best)  and an average?
Cheers
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:56:16 pm by disone »

MayankAnand

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 10:20:24 pm »
I got it last week. Thanks Pi but like don't you think that like there specific ways to answer some questions.
Also does anyone know whether it will be a group interview or a one on one interview because it said that it would take and hour and a half?
And do u think that I could get in with 2superiors 2 above average (second best)  1 high average (third best)  and an average?
Cheers

Mate I really hope I could get in aswell, I got 3 Superiors, 2 above averages and 1 High average. Still no interview though  :o

disone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 06:45:40 am »
Mate I really hope I could get in aswell, I got 3 Superiors, 2 above averages and 1 High average. Still no interview though  :o
Did u do any co curricular activities?
And hoe much did u write in your application?
And in the email didn't say that they will send you message on the first week of term 3?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:53:36 am by disone »

MayankAnand

• Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 08:19:00 am »
Did u do any co curricular activities?
And hoe much did u write in your application?
And in the email didn't say that they will send you message on the first week of term 3?
I do alot of co curricular activities, and i had filled the application to the line. so....

disone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 04:39:29 pm »
I do alot of co curricular activities, and i had filled the application to the line. so....
What co curricular activities did u do?
And by the way I am in year 9 this year
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:47:30 pm by disone »

disone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 04:48:41 pm »
Cheers

sf301

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 04:02:35 pm »
Hi, I'm stuck on how to practise my essay writing and how to structure it. Is there any free resources that will help improve my writing other than tutors? And if not do I just have to keep practising at home? Because I am currently practising at home but I don't know how to fix my mistakes so can someone please help!

Aearator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 02:30:44 am »
Hi, I'm stuck on how to practise my essay writing and how to structure it. Is there any free resources that will help improve my writing other than tutors? And if not do I just have to keep practising at home? Because I am currently practising at home but I don't know how to fix my mistakes so can someone please help!

Sorry for such a late reply, but you can write your essays and stories under a time limit and then type it up and post it on the essay marking forums on ATAR Notes. You can also try and look at other forums on ATAR Notes for structuring your writing pieces. If you have an older sibling or parent that is willing to read and correct your writing pieces, then that is certainly an option as well.

As for some useful links on writing for the exams, here are some that I found helpful:

1.  https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=40269.0

2.  https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=148442.0

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 11:05:43 am »
+4

- If you want your work marked, you can post it here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=175327.0. Forum members are more than happy to help so don't be afraid to ask for assistance!
- You could also check out these threads for topics, and other people's work and corrections to get an idea of what you should include in your pieces: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=172971.0 https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171453.0[/url [url=https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171227.0]https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171227.0 https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=160659.0

And more specific advice...

Creative
- Don't begin with an introduction. You don't have time for one, and starting smack-bang in the problem/climax/whatever you want to call it is way more interesting and it gives you the most opportunity to show off your creative writing abilities.
- Conclusions aren't necessary. Just don't make the ending too abrupt.
- Show don't tell. I know, cliched advice but don't, for example, say the character is tired. Describe how their clothes are soaking with sweat and breathing is laboured and heavy.
- Plot doesn't matter that much. Just don't make it super boring or cliched though (e.g "it was all a dream....", "and suddenly, X character who died/Jesus/some god-like figure appeared and saved the day!")
- Your focus (and what the markers are looking for) is to get whatever you're imagining in your head, into your reader's head. This is your main goal and everything should be catered towards achieving this.
- Practice, practice, practice. And get feedback, this is the most important part. There's no point to being able to write an essay in 15 minutes if it's crap.
- Not necessary, but sophisticated vocabulary is nice. It just gives you more cards to play and show off. Warning though, don't just look up a word in a thesaurus and plonk it in; you have to know how to use the word in proper contexts. Best way to improve vocab is to read. 

Persuasive
- Flesh out your arguments. Don't just have 1 piece of evidence and explanation for each. Argue it from multiple view points.
- Use techniques that are appropriate to your argument.
- Don't overuse rhetorical techniques, especially rhetorical questions and inclusive language.
- Appeals (e.g appeals to financial interests, authority) are the best because 1) they're effective 2) harder to weave in (which if successful, makes you look better).
- If you're running out of time, just have 1 introduction, 2 substantial body paragraphs and a conclusion.
- In your intro, just state the context and contention then move on. It doesn't need anything else and you can't afford to waste time.

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 04:26:35 pm »
- If you want your work marked, you can post it here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=175327.0. Forum members are more than happy to help so don't be afraid to ask for assistance!
- You could also check out these threads for topics, and other people's work and corrections to get an idea of what you should include in your pieces: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=172971.0 https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171453.0[/url [url=https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171227.0]https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171227.0 https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=160659.0

And more specific advice...

Creative
- Don't begin with an introduction. You don't have time for one, and starting smack-bang in the problem/climax/whatever you want to call it is way more interesting and it gives you the most opportunity to show off your creative writing abilities.
- Conclusions aren't necessary. Just don't make the ending too abrupt.
- Show don't tell. I know, cliched advice but don't, for example, say the character is tired. Describe how their clothes are soaking with sweat and breathing is laboured and heavy.
- Plot doesn't matter that much. Just don't make it super boring or cliched though (e.g "it was all a dream....", "and suddenly, X character who died/Jesus/some god-like figure appeared and saved the day!")
- Your focus (and what the markers are looking for) is to get whatever you're imagining in your head, into your reader's head. This is your main goal and everything should be catered towards achieving this.
- Practice, practice, practice. And get feedback, this is the most important part. There's no point to being able to write an essay in 15 minutes if it's crap.
- Not necessary, but sophisticated vocabulary is nice. It just gives you more cards to play and show off. Warning though, don't just look up a word in a thesaurus and plonk it in; you have to know how to use the word in proper contexts. Best way to improve vocab is to read. 

Persuasive
- Flesh out your arguments. Don't just have 1 piece of evidence and explanation for each. Argue it from multiple view points.
- Use techniques that are appropriate to your argument.
- Don't overuse rhetorical techniques, especially rhetorical questions and inclusive language.
- Appeals (e.g appeals to financial interests, authority) are the best because 1) they're effective 2) harder to weave in (which if successful, makes you look better).
- If you're running out of time, just have 1 introduction, 2 substantial body paragraphs and a conclusion.
- In your intro, just state the context and contention then move on. It doesn't need anything else and you can't afford to waste time.

Thanks so much, I've been given so much tips on how to write, but it's great to have it all in one place.

Aiming big

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 09:09:43 pm »
Hi
Dose anyone know a Math and writing tutor for selective school exam. Prefer uni student who was formerly selective school student.
Thanks