Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:12 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207549 times)  Share 

katherine123

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 05:26:16 pm »
Does anyone know any good related text (eg.Tim Winton) for billy elliot film, preferably a short story or poem?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 07:24:56 pm »
+1
Does anyone know any good related text (eg.Tim Winton) for billy elliot film, preferably a short story or poem?

OMG TIM WINTON <3 <3 <3

I think that if you are taking the thematic approach of people finding renewed perspectives and breaking stereotypes and expectations, then Distant Lands is great. "Neighbours" works too, but not to the same extent. I always recommend Distant Lands haha. Seriously, it just works so well with everything.

I'm not familiar with Billy Elliot the film and its been 6+ years since I saw it in theatre. But from what I remember, Distant Lands would work well.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

amandali

• Trendsetter
  • School: strathfield
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 07:59:06 pm »
is it okay if i use the same related text for 2 different modules for school exam and hsc exam?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 08:41:54 pm »
is it okay if i use the same related text for 2 different modules for school exam and hsc exam?

Hey amandali! It's a little hard to say. For a school exam, where the booklets are potentially marked by the same person, you may want to avoid it, though technically it isn't against any rule. Probably best to ask your teacher on that one!!

For the HSC though, absolutely fine! The essays are all marked at different times by different markers, so they wouldn't know anyway. And anyway, it totally doesn't even matter, the only thing you can't do is use a prescribed text from one section as a related text in another.

As long as the ORT definitely suits both modules you want to use it for, then go nuts, no worries at all  ;D

amandali

• Trendsetter
  • School: strathfield
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 08:53:03 pm »
Hey amandali! It's a little hard to say. For a school exam, where the booklets are potentially marked by the same person, you may want to avoid it, though technically it isn't against any rule. Probably best to ask your teacher on that one!!

For the HSC though, absolutely fine! The essays are all marked at different times by different markers, so they wouldn't know anyway. And anyway, it totally doesn't even matter, the only thing you can't do is use a prescribed text from one section as a related text in another.

As long as the ORT definitely suits both modules you want to use it for, then go nuts, no worries at all  ;D

Will I be allowed to use Barn Owl by Gwen harwood as a related text for eng standard? I searched it up and found out that it was one of prescribed poems for advanced eng in 2011 and 2012

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 08:56:01 pm »
Will I be allowed to use Barn Owl by Gwen harwood as a related text for eng standard? I searched it up and found out that it was one of prescribed poems for advanced eng in 2011 and 2012

You are all sweet! As long as it's not on the list anymore then good to go  ;D

navtejkr

• Adventurer
  • School: Glenwood High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 10:32:55 pm »
hey guys, you all seem too smart for me but english is my worst subject, i struggle with it so much
im in year 11 however, i want to improve and understand everything now before i hit year 12
i dont even understand the purpose of english or why its even compulsory, im more of a maths student but anywho, im going to have to do it. I just want advice on how i can do well in it, how to study for it, etc. My vocabulary isnt very broad and i find myself reading through things not knowing what half the words mean, this really frustrates me.
Please help me, english scares me a lot and unfortunately its the two unit that count no matter want  :'(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 12:23:55 am »
+1
hey guys, you all seem too smart for me but english is my worst subject, i struggle with it so much
im in year 11 however, i want to improve and understand everything now before i hit year 12
i dont even understand the purpose of english or why its even compulsory, im more of a maths student but anywho, im going to have to do it. I just want advice on how i can do well in it, how to study for it, etc. My vocabulary isnt very broad and i find myself reading through things not knowing what half the words mean, this really frustrates me.
Please help me, english scares me a lot and unfortunately its the two unit that count no matter want  :'(

Hey navtejkr!! Welcome to the forums!!  ;D

First of all, a massive props to you for wanting to work to improve your English skills. I am also much more of a math guy traditionally, so I totally understand where you are coming from. Luckily for us, HSC English can be approached quite logically, you almost develop a formula for crafting your response!  ;D

English is a vital subject for getting you used to writing about and supporting an argument. It helps you appreciate the purposes behind the information we are presented with. It helps you with communication skills. And I could go on, even as an Engineering Student, I use my HSC English Skills often, to structure responses and argue my design ideas.

Don't let English scare you though! It is definitely not as hard as it seems! Year 11 is your chance to develop the skills you need before Year 12  ;D

A few pieces of advice from one math-oriented student to another. Read your texts early, give yourself plenty of time to really absorb the ideas and grasp the vocabulary. Make notes on the main ideas in the text (and maybe even a few techniques) as you go. Studying for English should involve lots of reading of your text and texts similar to it, the more you read the more you develop that vocabulary you are seeking, and you'll also want a good bank of novels and such in Year 12 when you'll need to select a Related Text  :D

I'd also read this article on dealing with English, tailored for math students!

Besides this, just stay persistent! English is tough, no doubt about it, but it is absolutely achievable. English was my worst subject going into the start of Year 11, I worked hard and it turned into one of my best. You can do the same if you work just as hard!!  ;D

Feel free to keep coming back with more specific questions: Essay advice, technique advice, etc etc. We are happy to give you as much help as we can  ;D

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 04:56:00 pm »
Hey guys, new guy here!
I have an english assessment with the essay question on Curious Incident of the dog in the night time. The question is How is Haddons perspective conveyed in the Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night time. What are some perspectives i could structure my body paragraphs on?
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »
Hey guys, new guy here!
I have an english assessment with the essay question on Curious Incident of the dog in the night time. The question is How is Haddons perspective conveyed in the Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night time. What are some perspectives i could structure my body paragraphs on?

Hey itswags, welcome!! I didn't do your text, neither did any of the mods, so I'd encourage any students reading this who might be able  to help to chime in  ;D that being said, have a think back over the text, think of anything that Haddon might be trying to say in the text. Any hidden themes or morals (EG - love one another, power corrupts, bacon is delicious, etc) that pop up? Those would be a great place to start  ;) hopefully someone sees this and chimes in to help!!  ;D

maccasgirl

• Adventurer
  • School: St Pat's
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 06:30:13 pm »
Hey guys! I got my half yearly marks back on my Discovery essay recently and the analysis of the prescribed text (Go Back to Where You Came from - documentary) was really good, however my teacher said the only thing that stopped me from achieving top range of marks was my related material (Mending Wall - poem by Robert Frost). It doesn't have enough conceptual ideas in it to suit some possible questions so I need to change it and that's what I'm struggling with.

If you have any suggestions of discovery related materials I could have a look it I would appreciate it so much!

Thank you!

hannahboardman98

• Adventurer
  • School: Leeton High
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 06:51:16 pm »
Hi I was just wondering if you know of any good related texts for The Story of Tom Brennan. It has to be Australian too. The module is 'Exploring Transitions' :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 11:48:17 pm »
Hey guys! I got my half yearly marks back on my Discovery essay recently and the analysis of the prescribed text (Go Back to Where You Came from - documentary) was really good, however my teacher said the only thing that stopped me from achieving top range of marks was my related material (Mending Wall - poem by Robert Frost). It doesn't have enough conceptual ideas in it to suit some possible questions so I need to change it and that's what I'm struggling with.

If you have any suggestions of discovery related materials I could have a look it I would appreciate it so much!

Thank you!

Hey there, welcome to the forums!!  ;D

Awesome to hear that your analysis of the core text went well! Our resident Discovery expert is taking some time off at the moment, but I know she would recommend two texts: Neighbours or Distant Lands. Both are written by an Australian novelist, Tim Winton. One can be found in the anthology called Scission, another can be found in the anthology "Minimum of Two." Elyse recommends these stories to everyone, and I know they are both very conceptually rich. Hopefully one of them might work for you!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 11:49:59 pm »
Hi I was just wondering if you know of any good related texts for The Story of Tom Brennan. It has to be Australian too. The module is 'Exploring Transitions' :)

Hey Hannah! I didn't study that module, but I know of some good short stories by Australian novelist Tim Winton. Neighbours or Distant Lands are great, they were the Related Texts used by Elyse (our resident Discovery expert) for her Area of Study. They might be applicable here!! One can be found in the anthology called Scission, another can be found in the anthology "Minimum of Two." I hope this helps!  ;D

katherine123

• Trendsetter
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 08:22:44 pm »
do you know any good related text for distinctly visual mod A (henry lawson's short stories) i prefer anything but film