Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:57 pm

Author Topic: How to choose a CAS calculator?  (Read 40726 times)  Share 

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: How to choose a CAS calculator?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »
Is it true that some of the new CAS calcs can run Pokemon? Seems a bit far-fetched to me :p
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 01:41:30 pm »
Is it true that some of the new CAS calcs can run Pokemon? Seems a bit far-fetched to me :p

Yeah, they can. I think you have to downgrade your OS to 1.x, but I'm not up-to-date on the developments anymore :P Definitely possible though, I saw some kids back in yr12 with such games on their nspires :)

edit: btw, it's not just the new CASs, but also the grey and black nspire too :)

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 01:46:11 pm »
Woah that sounds intense! I don't really play video games but I think I'll have to get a technologically capable student from school to hook me up :p As long as the CASIO ClassPad 330 can run it anyway.

Anyway, just to be constructive. We should compile a post which lists some of the vital CAS calc skills for the exam. Things like solving systems of equations and finding points on graphs, maximums and minimums, etc.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:47 pm »
+1
Anyway, just to be constructive. We should compile a post which lists some of the vital CAS calc skills for the exam. Things like solving systems of equations and finding points on graphs, maximums and minimums, etc.

b^3 already did that for you guys!

Check the resources thread (spesh and methods) and they're there :)

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »

b^3 already did that for you guys!

Check the resources thread (spesh and methods) and they're there :)
Or check my sig :P (Thanks for the plug VegemitePi)

Remember that the guide is for the old grey version, so most of it is relevant but some of the buttons may be off, and DONT FORGET TO READ THE ERRORS in the first post in the thread, as I can't fix up the originals in the notes unless I re-up it all, but the post is fixed up.

And although it is for the Ti-nspire, the things that you can do, i.e. the "vital CAS calc skills" are relevant. Hope it helps :)

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:34:28 pm by pi »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 05:21:52 pm »
+1
You can run a gameboy color emulator on the old nspire too.
http://omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=1584.0

But yeah, it does require hacking the firmware (I guess you can think of it as similar to jailbreaking an iPhone). It's not worth the risk (could screw up your calculator, lose a bit of functionality by going off from the official TI updates) and not worth the end result in my opinion (the emulators are pretty limited in functionality).

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:38 pm »

I wouldn't want to, if you mess around with the software it could be less reliable and you need your calculator to work 100% especially for sacs/exams.

If you want to play Pokemon just save up and buy a 3DS it's not worth messing around with your calculator IMO.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:14:43 am by chasej »
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

KevinooBz

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:57 pm »
What are your thoughts on the Casio Classpad 330? I find it hard to use because of the lack of hard keys.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 04:36:19 pm »
What are your thoughts on the Casio Classpad 330? I find it hard to use because of the lack of hard keys.

Really late reply, oops!

Most people prefer the TIs for this reason, they just have a more traditional feel about them (and they also don't stuff up in exams, especially the newer OS's). I mean the touch screen looks cool and all, but I find it to be a bit impractical and fiddly tbh.

Personally, I also prefer the TI by a long way.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:00 pm »
+1
Dr G hates the Casio Classpad with an unbridled passion.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 04:43:43 pm »
+1
Dr G hates the Casio Classpad with an unbridled passion.

Well he's got a PhD in pure maths and has written a textbook and is just generally awesome, so I'm with him on this one too :P

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 04:52:43 pm »
Psshh screw that, he's a former Australian downball champion! If nothing else validates his awesomeness then this surely does!

His textbook is so good and the calculus section, which he wrote, is like the best part :P Is his PhD in pure maths or astrophysics?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:04 pm »
Psshh screw that, he's a former Australian downball champion! If nothing else validates his awesomeness then this surely does!

His textbook is so good and the calculus section, which he wrote, is like the best part :P Is his PhD in pure maths or astrophysics?

Haha yeah, but the downball he played (doubles I think) looks pretty strange :P

Pure Maths :D

KevinooBz

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 05:12:23 pm »
I was so tempted to get the tinspire cx for the colour screen but the school says you need the classpad or else.......

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
How long does the rechargeable battery on the TI nSPIRE CX CAS last?
Just got a friend in the US to purchase me one as they only cost $140 over there. Hopefully there are no differences between an American calculator and Australian one.

Edit: Got my answer, two weeks with normal use.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:32:17 pm by chasej »
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.