Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:43:25 pm

Author Topic: Is vic uni really that bad?  (Read 37883 times)  Share 

nathhan.

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Is vic uni really that bad?
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:41:16 pm »
So word on the street is that VU has a poor reputatikn, however its got the course i seem to be most interested in which is bachelor of law/bachelor of international trade, i just wanted to know why it has this bad rep? Im thinking maybe because it has campuses in footscray and st albans which kind of stir people away from it as aposed to those in the city (such as the course i want to do) thanks!!!

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
Re: Is vic uni really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:00:36 am »
Well there's a few things to consider with VU.

Some courses are good, most are average. For some courses, including I think... mid-wifery and teaching, VU is a fantastic University.
However, most are pretty shitty. Also, like you said, the area that the campuses are located plays a pretty big role, like you said pretty shitty areas.

What I would advice you to do is speak to the University about their course, the one you're interested in, and see what they have to say about. More importantly, speaking to students currently sitting the course, their opinion is the most important in your situation.

reputatikn

LOL :)
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

selim31

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -18
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:04:35 pm »

reputatikn

"as aposed"

Law is a kind of justice. It is not perfect justice, it is only a kind of justice.

- John Young, Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:14:07 pm »
I would strongly suggest you take a look at Commerce/Law at Deakin where you can major in International Trade for your Commerce portion of the degree

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with VU, but if you do end up going there, be aware that in terms of facilities, lecturers...etc. it's not going to be comparable to say Monash or Deakin, but if you don't get into Deakin, then I'd say just go for VU, there's nothing wrong with it at all!

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:27:25 pm »
+1
To be honest, in most cases where you get your degree from doesn't matter after a couple jobs. They look at experience. So, just in that regard its *OK*.

The problem is, when applying for a job, you'll probably be on the bottom of the heap. Thats just the reality of the situation. If an employer has the resumes of 50 new graduates, he'd choose the best he can. He's probably going to aim for someone from UoM or monash. It's just the sad reality of the situation for Law and Commerce type things. This is true for all of the big firms from what i've heard and for a lot of the small ones.

A university is still better than no university if it is your only option but i'd urge you to try get into somewhere else or transfer later on if you intend to work in this field.

Teachingwise, i personally believe that Monash/UoM/La Trobe are more or less equivalent, maybe rmit and it gets really iffy around the swinburne/VU end. Bigger, more respected institutions tend to attract bigger, more respected academics unless they're looking for a downgrade for some reason...

RMIT is a good example. Some of their degrees aren't so good. They do *very* well in some other things though like software engineering.

VU is also looked down upon because of the low enters required to get in. I don't think the environment would be very good either, depends on who you associate yourself with. Most of the people there would have fairly low enters which may or may not reflect on their work ethic (best to refrain from judgment here, for all you know a family member might of died during their VCE or something). Most of the time it is a reflection however, most of the people in your course probably won't be very motivated to work and just slack off, party all the time, ect. as they say old habits die hard.  There is definitely a time and place for these things and even at UoM and monash those things happen fairly regularly but people still actually produce quality work as well. So, thats another large reason i think.

I'd really urge you to try get into somewhere else for the above reasons.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

nathhan.

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:27:58 pm »
I hear alot of things about the low atars needed however the course i want to get into requires 84.35 and is located inthe city, do you think that employers take notice of these things? Or is it purely based on the university title?

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:04:17 am »
first, i think quality of teaching is pretty much the same for all undergrad degrees at uni. I've had quite a number of average lecturers at Monash and I doubt there are any significant differences between unis...

Buuuut the big problem is you want to do law... and for law VU is at the bottom of the pecking order... It's a bit ridiculous though because I've heard from others who have transferred into Monash that Monash law is easier than other unis and I know a lot of people from other unis who are a lot more hard working than some monash people.... but that's just the way it is i guess.

also as someone said, try com/law at deakin. It is probably identical to what you want to do anyway and has much better employment prospects.

ps. i actually once used some VU notes to study for a monash first year law test because they were better than the notes we had been given....

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:52:39 pm »
+3
It's hard to say easily if a university is 'bad' or not. I think VU is not very well recognised or considered to be prestigious, but that does not necessarily make it a bad university. It kind of depends how much your future industry cares about prestige, and how it weighs that against other things you might have (e.g. job experience, extra curricular activities, volunteer work, awesome grades, other qualifications you might have). Unfortunately, depending on what you want to do with your degree, you may have to comply with whatever opinions other people have about prestige, particularly if you want a specific job in a competitive industry straight away. If, however, you're a bit more flexible, or if you want to work in an industry where people are a little more down to earth and/or where things are less competitive, it might not matter what university you went to. You need to weigh this up with your goals for the future.

Secondly, resources makes a huge difference to your life at university. I paid no attention to this when I was in high school and looking at potential universities, which was stupid. In order to study well, you need access to research materials (including a good library), and you want resources like wi-fi on-campus, places you can go for advice (academic or otherwise), and plenty of events and clubs where you can meet people (especially if you are a commuter). I don't know if VU has these resources or not, I assume they probably do. You need to have a look at what they have, compare this to other unis, and decide whether it will be enough for you. I think ideally, the resource-aspect of universities should be set up so as to give all students a sense of belonging on-campus and able to perform as best they can in their studies.

Lastly, the teaching experience is really important. If you can, try to get in touch with someone who is doing the course you are interested in and ask them about the relative strengths and weaknesses of the courses. And it is about more than whether or not the lectures are boring (you can have boring lectures at any uni in the country). You'll want to look at things like how many people there are in a lecture and a tute, whether lecturers are available for you to ask questions, and the quality of the online learning resources. You can also probably find survey results somewhere on the internets which would give some indicator of quality, but I would suggest that without comments they are really difficult to accurately interpret.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:54:19 pm by Eriny »

natrox14

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:41 pm »
So word on the street is that VU has a poor reputatikn, however its got the course i seem to be most interested in which is bachelor of law/bachelor of international trade, i just wanted to know why it has this bad rep? Im thinking maybe because it has campuses in footscray and st albans which kind of stir people away from it as aposed to those in the city (such as the course i want to do) thanks!!!

Just because the University is in Footscray doesn't mean that it has a bad reputation. It just shows how ignorant and biased you and many others can be. A University is a University no matter where it is, Vic Uni is a good uni with a great campus.
So make a choice for yourself.   :o

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:16 pm »
+1

Just because the University is in Footscray doesn't mean that it has a bad reputation. It just shows how ignorant and biased you and many others can be. A University is a University no matter where it is, Vic Uni is a good uni with a great campus.
So make a choice for yourself.   :o

Regardless of the opinions we might share (as in VU being a good uni) the reality of the situation is that in terms of employment prospects, for some jobs, the university is incredibly important in determining where you might be hired. If an employer is looking at two candidates, one that went to VU and another that went to Deakin, identical in all other regards, 9/10 times they will go with the one with the degree from Deakin. That's the way it is. Not saying it's true that Deakin is superior that VU, just saying that employers value a degree from Deakin more than one from VU.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

natrox14

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »
+1
Yes life is all about getting the best payed job and making the most amount of money and investing it with people who are graduates of Melbourne, Monash or Deakin on the global market.
Try doing a course fro the sake of increasing your knowledge not just about the outcome of money that may arise.

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:28:05 pm »
+4
Yes life is all about getting the best payed job and making the most amount of money and investing it with people who are graduates of Melbourne, Monash or Deakin on the global market.
Try doing a course fro the sake of increasing your knowledge not just about the outcome of money that may arise.

I'd love to try living in your world where money doesn't mean anything and you're able to provide for a family and pay rent with all the knowledge you've learnt. Unfortunately, I live in the real world and this isn't the case.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

BorisPeters

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: -9
  • School: james Ruse
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »
+1
@Panicnode

You could not be more WRONG

How would even know this? Both my parents are university educated, one in the engineering sector and one in the education sector. They both obtained degrees from Melbourne University and on no occasion has the employer cared where they studied. The reality is that in the context of your professional life, Uni represents your first foot steps and you learn about most things pertaining to your job on the job. As a result, they care where you have worked, not where you have studied. Your Uni education counts for absolute zero unless you studied at Harvard or Yale or did something really outstanding.

Source: Both my parents went to uni and now hire people in their respective fields.

BorisPeters

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: -9
  • School: james Ruse
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 10:32:08 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
November 04, 2011, 10:32:08 pm - Hidden.

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:32:56 pm »
@Panicnode

You could not be more WRONG

How would even know this? Both my parents are university educated, one in the engineering sector and one in the education sector. They both obtained degrees from Melbourne University and on no occasion has the employer cared where they studied. The reality is that in the context of your professional life, Uni represents your first foot steps and you learn about most things pertaining to your job on the job. As a result, they care where you have worked, not where you have studied. Your Uni education counts for absolute zero unless you studied at Harvard or Yale or did something really outstanding.

Source: Both my parents went to uni and now hire people in their respective fields.

That's great for later in life. I'm not exactly part of a wealthy family and I'm looking to launch straight into a job after work. Therefore, I want the best possible chance of employment after I finish my degree. I was simply recommending that in terms of first time in the field employment options, where you studied does matter.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM