Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:02 pm

Author Topic: Tips for VCE English Tutoring!  (Read 42544 times)  Share 

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
Re: Tips for VCE English Tutoring!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »
Yeah I did that with Lit last year; read out parts of my analysis and realised they sometimes made sense. When I tutor my friends I'm a big fan of getting them to ask really basic questions which appear to be rather dumb; it's something I do myself with my teachers and I find it works on an understanding level.

Great idea! :D

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 03:44:08 am »
+1
Hey, how would you tutor people for English, who can't really speak it, like at all.
I'm living in Germany atm and I'd like to become a tutor for English, any suggestions?

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »
+1
Hey, how would you tutor people for English, who can't really speak it, like at all.
I'm living in Germany atm and I'd like to become a tutor for English, any suggestions?

Hmm you'd need to go right back to basics - speaking, writing, listening, grammar, etc. Try to involve some German in your lessons as well so that students are more comfortable, use a German-English dictionary, go through weekly vocab lists, translations, and just slowly build up their knowledge of the language. It would be quite difficult since they wouldn't know much English, but it would definitel be rewarding if you do it well, and I'm sure you would. Good luck! :)

Azerel

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Jackpot!
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Sky High
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
+1
You guys are just simply amazing!
 ;D
Keep being awesome English tutors yo!
20-12/13 aims: Philosophy [45+], Physics[40+], Methods[40+], English Language [45+], Legal Studies[3.5+ Increment], Justice [4.0+ Increment]

Aim: Superhero/Villain

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 09:10:24 pm »
Florian, I'd start with the alpabet (not sure if the sounds are different to Germany?) and what sounds each letter makes, and then the sounds that letter combinations make. Eg, 'ch' for 'cha' or 'ke'. And yeah, basic words and what werdna said. You could  teach it like a science if that's how the student learned. Be heavy on the grammar rules because they form a good foundation for later teaching.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 06:02:27 pm »
Just a quick question, hope this is the appropriate thread for it:
Would somebody who has only done VCE lit be able to tutor VCE english? After helping out some mates this year with their english work, and knowing several english students going into years 11 and 12, it's something I've been considering.
I mean, obviously I can't help anyone out with LA, but as far as assistance with the text response and the context piece is concerned, would I be able to contribute much of value? Is the assessment of english and lit that distinct?
I often see tutors advertising that they can only assist with a specific context (i.e. only tutoring "Whose Reality?"), so my instinct is no, but I just thought I'd ask while putting my mind off the impending doom of my results.

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 10:15:33 pm »
+2
Just a quick question, hope this is the appropriate thread for it:
Would somebody who has only done VCE lit be able to tutor VCE english? After helping out some mates this year with their english work, and knowing several english students going into years 11 and 12, it's something I've been considering.
I mean, obviously I can't help anyone out with LA, but as far as assistance with the text response and the context piece is concerned, would I be able to contribute much of value? Is the assessment of english and lit that distinct?
I often see tutors advertising that they can only assist with a specific context (i.e. only tutoring "Whose Reality?"), so my instinct is no, but I just thought I'd ask while putting my mind off the impending doom of my results.

Nah I wouldn't recommend that you teach English having done only Lit. The course outlines and criteria etc are all different, and to be able to tutor English well, you would be expected to know the study design well (and know what to do in order to fulfil the requirements).

You should definitely tutor Literature if you can find students to tutor in that!

tange

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Master of Teaching - University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 02:32:13 pm »
Different students find different approaches helpful. One student told me that he really loved going through essays he had written at home  in our lessons while another student liked discussing themes/ideas better than writing anything down. Lol maybe the man who made his students write whole essays while he left to have lunch didn't charge them money for the writing time? For example, I asked my student to come to the library one hour before his lesson to practice writing under pressure before his SACs and the exam. I didn't charge him for the hour. I don't think it would disadvantage the student by making them write under pressure but I do think it's wrong to leave the student to write an essay for one hour and then charging them for the hour.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:35:22 pm by tange »