Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:56 am

Author Topic: Deakin University - Subject reviews & ratings  (Read 24354 times)  Share 

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: west side
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Deakin University - Subject reviews & ratings
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:19:51 pm »
+7

Deakin University
Subject Reviews & Ratings

Index

If you have any queries, comments, complaints or suggestions, feel free to contact alondouek, b^3 or AngelWings.

Current Totals:
Arts: 2
Business and Law: 0
Health: 6
Science, Engineering and Built Environment: 4

Total: 12 reviews

Updated to post #12

Business and Law

This is a thread for subject reviews only.  If you have any questions, then please PM the member who wrote the review, or alternatively, create a new thread for more information about a subject.  The views expressed are those of the authors and do not represent the opinions of the university.  Keep in mind that despite best efforts, information provided may not be accurate.

We encourage you to review the subject(s) you have completed, even if someone else has already reviewed your subject(s).  The more reviews we have, the more helpful this resource will be. Please try to avoid overly denigrating lecturers and keep your review relatively objective

Please use the following template:

Code: [Select]
[b]Subject Code/Name:[/b] [url=insert link here]SUBJECT CODE SUBJECT NAME[/url]  Please insert the handbook link for the subject, and replace SUBJECT CODE SUBJECT NAME with the appropriate details

[b]Workload:[/b]  (specify how many lectures, pracs, tutes ect. and their duration)

[b]Assessment:[/b]  (Outline the various assessments which make up the subject and how much each counts for)

[b]Lecture Recording Enabled:[/b]  Yes, with/without screen capture etc.

[b]Past exams available:[/b]  Yes, how many?  No.  Was there a sample exam?

[b]Textbook Recommendation:[/b]  What must you buy?  What is "recommended"?  Do you need it?

[b]Lecturer(s):[/b]

[b]Year & Semester of completion:[/b]

[b]Rating:[/b]  Out of 5

[b]Your Mark/Grade:[/b] (Optional)

[b]Comments: [/b] Give your overall opinion of the subject, lecturers, assessment etc. and a recommendation, plus anything else which you feel is relevant.

Search for units here.

Index last updated July 4, 2021 - AngelWings

Template copied from gemgem49's Monash and stonecold's University of Melbourne subject review pages.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:29:04 pm by AngelWings »
brotip #1849: don't let a bad grade define who you are or what you will become.

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
Re: Deakin University - Subject reviews & ratings
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: ALJ111 – Contemporary Journalism A

Workload: 1 x 2hr tutorial

Assessment: 
  • Research file (15%)
  • News story for print media (35%)
  • Multimedia news story (50%)

Recorded Podcast:  Yes, along with powerpoint slides

Past exams available:  No exam!! Woohoo!

Textbook Recommendation:  So You Want to be a Journalist? Unplugged Grundy, Bruce et al 2012, Cambridge University Press, Melbourne
Just a recommended text, no need to buy it. You can read it as an eBook on the library website if you want to.

Tutor(s): Paul Bethell

Year & Semester of completion: 2013, trimester 1

Rating:  5/5

Your Mark/Grade: pending

Comments:
ALJ111 is a unit as part of the Journalism major. I love writing and have an interest in the media. This unit is perfect for me because it combines both of these two interests.

The assessment for this unit is very manageable and all you have to do is paid attention in tutorial (it's the only class that you have to attend anyway).

The Research file will help you with your research skill. You just need to choose whatever topic you want to cover on (of course, it has to be newsworthy). This file will outline every contact that you can interview to write up a news story for the second assignment.

The second assignment (News Story) is where you can put your research and writing skill into practice. You're only required to have at least two interviews preferably face-to-face.
Tip: After you got your feedback from your tutor about your story idea and the research file START your interview process immediately! Journalism is the industry where we have to rely so much on the interviewees for facts and information. That's why you should plan ahead to get these interviews done asap because no one will wait around for you. Remember that they have to make time for you, so be grateful if they agree to be interviewed.

The final assignment (Multimedia News Story) is the biggest one out of the three assignments you have to do. Luckily you can have a choice here. You can choose to do a radio news story or a photo slideshow with audio. You have to read your news script out loud and record it for both choices so there're no ways to escape it. The only difference between the two choices is you've got to have at least one interview for the radio news whereas there's none to be required for the photo news. The two choices are equally difficult so don't be misguided to leave this assignment to the end (my worst mistake).
Tip: I guess you really have to be familiar with the software that the tutor introduced you to. Audacity for audio and Soundslides Plus for slideshow are the two you’re expected to use in this assignment. Of course, you can use other software that you’re comfortable with as long as you the tutor can open the file that you exported.

I didn’t do any reading for this unit because we don’t discuss about them in tutorial (or because we weren’t required to do them at all). If you want to you should keep up with the current news because the tutor often start off with what's been happened in the news.

The instructions for the assignments were very clear. This unit really pushed me out of my comfort zone. I’m quite a shy guy but in order to write up a news story for the second assignment I had to interview two people. So you can imagine I was really nervous to interview someone and not the other way around (ridiculous, I know).

I chose to cover the Heartland Refugee Art Prize for the second assignment and did a radio news about The Light in Winter for the third one. The Light In Winter was really a desperate choice because I ran out of time to change my story.

One of the highlight in this unit was the fact that I put so much effort into redrafting a 500-words news story (I have never been that dedicated!). I gave my story out to 7 different people to proofread and spend so many hours to edit it. Looking back I think it’s crazy to do so because I ended up neglecting a bigger assignment for another unit which I got a low mark as a result. However, the effort was definitely worth it, but I’ll be careful next time, of course. I love the practical component of the unit as well. For the first time I have the chance to interview real people and write about them.

Overall, it's a really good unit if you want a taste for journalism.

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:12:11 pm »
+7
Subject Code/Name: HPS111 – Introduction to Psychology A

Workload: 1 x 2hr seminar, 1 x 1hr tutorial

Assessment:
  • Deconstructed research report (50%)
  • Content Roadmap (35%)
  • Reflective Practice Journal (15%)

Recorded Lectures:  Yes

Past exams available
:  No exam!! Woohoo!

Textbook Recommendation: Psychology The Science of Mind and Behaviour by Michael W Passer and Ronald E Smith, Australian edn, 2013
This is the prescribed text so it’s better to grab a copy.

Seminar presenter(s)/Lecturer(s): Christian Hyde and Sharon Horwood

Rating:  3/5

Your Mark/Grade: pending

Comments:
I have a very mixed feeling about this unit.

First of all, there’s no exam which is great. The unit chair whom is Sharon made the decision of abolishing exams for HPS111 and HPS121. She explained that exam is not an effective means of learning.

Instead of sitting exam, we got to do concept maps like we did in high school. But we have to do this on computer this time. Hence we got to learn new technology skills as well as learning to retain information better. Concept maps are great because they require a deep understanding for a topic before we can make links between concepts.

The 6 topics that we touched on were:
•   Biological Bases – Genetics and Brains
•   Learning
•   Memory
•   Intelligence
•   Motivation & Emotion

After finishing the concept maps, guess what? You get to mark your own maps!! But you’ve to write up a 500-words justification for the marks you’ve given yourself. Your tutor would have a look at it and decided whether you’ve underestimated or overestimated yourself. They would personally contact you if that happened. If the mark you’ve given yourself is what the tutor seem reasonable, that would be your final result.

These concept maps are valuable resources for yourself later on if you’re going to continue on a psych major. However, there weren’t any sample or one perfect concept map provided by the unit chair. You have to decide for yourself which concepts are important and which are not. Therefore, it’s tricky because you don’t know whether you’ve covered everything. All you were given was a rubric with criteria such as structure, clarity, etc to base your concept maps around.
Tip: although this would be your last assignment to be submitted for this unit, I suggest that you should start to do concept map from WEEK ONE. You have to do 6 different concept maps on 6 different topics. Therefore, it’s extremely important to start doing this as soon as possible because you would be more likely to take tremendous hours to trim your maps. The maps should be in 5 levels with examples at the bottom level.

In deconstructed report, we got to pick one out of six research articles and just deconstructed it. Then we had to create a website on it. The website MUST include pictures/videos or any illustrations that you could find to make your site look pretty. All resources had to be referenced correctly, of course.
Tip: your APA reference should be perfect by now so there wasn’t any excuse to make a mistake. If you need help you should go and see the Drop-in-station, they were a great help to me. Illustrations are important no matter how perfect your deconstructed report is. I found out this in the hard way.

After our reports were marked, we could do peer-review. This was optional. You were randomly divided into a group of five in your tute group. I found this was meaningless because I reviewed other people’s sites but I got none back. It was silly as well because all we did was saying nice things like “Good job, well done, etc” How could these feedback help us improve? I would like to pick my own group in the future rather than being randomly assigned.
The three reflective practice journals were the same as writing a diary but it has to be related to uni/study/psych, of course. After writing an entry you had to put it in a template given by the unit chair. The template was a website. This was a test of getting used to new technology as well.
Tip: This is extremely easy marks but don’t forget to do it right and put it in the right place!

One of the issues I had with this unit was the teaching method. We had seminar instead of traditional lecture. All lectures were pre-recorded and you’re expected to listen to the lectures right before the seminar. This model is followed after the “flipped class” model in the US. Recorded lectures were short, divided in parts and they’re not a substituted for doing the reading! I just couldn’t work with recorded lectures because I found it really hard to concentrate on them. That’s being said, there’re no one checking whether you’ve listened to the lectures and seminar. So you could set your own study pace. None of the lectures and seminars was compulsory, of course.

The main thing to study was to do the reading. There was a little reading guide for each week’s topic. The unit chair did a really great job to stuff up the key objectives with the page numbers in the book. I emailed her and she said the reading guide was not compulsory as well!

As I'm writing this review, I figure that I didn’t even have to travel 1hr and 30 mins to uni at all. All I could have done was staying at home, reading random pages, taking random notes and making random concept maps so I could pass the unit.

In the seminar we’re kind of getting the same info from the recorded lectures but the presenter expand/explain them more. We get to interact with the presenter as well. So if you’ve any question feel free to ask the presenter. That’s being said, first years like me are not that brave to put our hands up and ask questions ><

Seminar and lecture are two completely different things.

In lecture, you’re supposed to listen, take notes and ask questions after the lecture. Before lecture, you should at least do some reading or skim through it. Sitting in a lecture requires motivation to focus and concentrate.

In seminar, you’re not supposed to take notes, so don’t expect the presenter to speak or go through the slides slowly. You are encouraged to actively interact with the seminar presenter by asking question during the seminar. You’re expected to finish all the readings (or at least some of it) and listen to the pre-recorded lectures. Seminar requires you to be an active student and be better prepared compare to lecture.

I don’t think tutes are useful because all we just re-confirmed over and over again the same information that we could have checked on CloudDeakin before asking. But I still went to 10/11 of the tutes because I was afraid that there were some helpful advices on the assignment. There weren’t any.

Overall, I don’t know how I should rate this unit because I feel like I haven’t learnt enough but I enjoyed the fact that there was no
exam. I had a few issues with the teaching method as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:52:20 pm by pyro-53 »

aishuwa1995

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:22 pm »
+3
Subject Code/Name: HBS109 - Human Structure and Function

Workload: 3 x 1 hour lectures, 4 x 2 hour practical classes per trimester and 4 x 1 hour tutorial classes per trimester

Assessment:

• Practical class worksheets (4 x 10%) 40%
  • mid-trimester test (1 hour) 20%
  • end of trimester examination (2 hours) 40%

Lecture recording available: Yes

Past exams available: The lecturers kindly put up last year's exam on the intranet :)

Textbook Recommendation: Fundamentals of anatomy and physiology by Martini with the human body atlas and IP physiology CD. I highly recommend buying the textbook and CD but the body atlas wasn't helpful for this unit (it might be for future units though).

Lecturer(s): Anne Turner, Phil Parker, Troy Castricum, Stuart Warmington, Rod Snow

Tutor/ Prac demonstartor: Marita Wallace (there are heaps of others)

Rating: 4.5/5

Your Mark/Grade: HD

Comments: This was my elective unit in Semester 1 last year and it's a core subject for Nursing.
The mid-sem exam was online (open book) and the end of sem exam was paper-based. Both exams were multiple choice. Prac worksheets were basically answerable from reading the textbook, which you can take with you.
Don't take it easy because the exams are multiple choice, there's heaps of structures you have to remember as well as their functions. Ask any questions you may have in tutorials (attendance isn't compulsory but it was helpful in my opinion) or you can use the online discussion thing.
Overall, I really enjoyed this unit! The lecturers were good with explaining the content and  I loved the way the lecture notes were set up (it was beautiful). The only bad thing about this unit was the pracs...I was hoping for dissections but we didn't exactly do any..there was a brain and a heart I think but it was more just observing how it looked :(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:03:43 pm by alondouek »

SockInfinite

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 07:04:12 pm »
+9
Subject Code/Name: HBS109 - Anatomy and Physiology https://www.deakin.edu.au/current-students-courses/unit.php?unit=HBS109&preview=y

Assessment: 
20% prac report
20% quizzes 4x
5% 'pre-essay'
25% essay
30% exam

Lecture Recording Enabled:  Yes

Past exams available:  Yes, 1 from 2016?  Also a sample exam included.

Textbook Recommendation:  Nope, don't buy it.

Lecturer(s): Craig Wright (our lord and saviour), Giselle Allsop, a few others (sorry!)

Year & Semester of completion: 2020 Trimester 1

Rating:  1/5

Your Mark/Grade: 81 HD

Comments: This subject was tough as hell. One week was one new content, so if you start slacking off you're gonna have a pretty tough time catching up. Lecturers were really great, Craig is a beast (had a whole facebook meme page for him).
TBH the coordination of this subject was really lackluster and just not good - pracs were done without prior knowledge (i.e. week 3 we will do a practical on circulatory system, but we don't actually learn about it until week 5). 
For the first 3 weeks, we had 3 lectures (all 1 hour), but then after week 3 we only received 1 lecture, which was kind of a smack to the face considering this is a heavy-content unit - i really felt as if I learnt pretty much 95% of the content by myself. There's more to it but I can't really remember it. Overall, I kinda don't recommend this subject, but it's good for knowledge (note that this subject isn't a core unit for biomedicine which is... odd)

SockInfinite

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 07:21:04 pm »
+10
Subject Code/Name: https://www.deakin.edu.au/courses/unit?unit=SLE111  SLE111 - Cells and Genes

Assessment:  Too many mini-assignments and different quizzes to count LOL. Exam was 45%

Past exams available:  Nope. A shame.

Textbook Recommendation:  Don't buy anything.

Lecturer(s): Jillian Healey

Rating:  2.5/5

Your Mark/Grade: 67 Credit

Comments: Jillian Healey is an absolute GOAT at teaching biology. She's phenomenal.
The content wasn't too hard, if you do VCE biology you can pretty much do a lot of the assignments here already. Exam was 45% which was difficult AF. Every question was short answer which completely rocked me (I just calculated and got 54% for the exam damn). There were many assignments in this subject which was very taxing, but overall it was just an extension from VCE biology.

I think I heard from my lecturer that this subject was also for beginners (in her own words, if you've never touched biology, this is for you). It definitely was not. I did fairly well in VCE biology but still managed to not do great. There was a sprinkle of new stuff as well (like thymine dimers, DNA synthesis, a more 'advanced' genealogy and genetic studies (which was by far my worst topic) and some other stuff.

Overall, was enjoyable at some content, but some were boring/difficult.

SockInfinite

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 10:21:08 pm »
+9
Subject Code/Name: Ecology and the Environment

Assessment: 
15% group project
20% online test
25% ecosystem report
40% exam

Past exams available:  No.

Textbook Recommendation:  Nope

Lecturer(s): Tricia Wevill

Rating:  5/5 from week 1 to week 5, 2.5/5 from week 6 to week 10

Your Mark/Grade: 83 HD

Comments: The environment part of this subject covered meteorology (my favourite), term 3 chem stuff (like fossil fuels, natural gas), scientific methods, energy. The ecology part covered VCE biology's ecology section and some other stuff.

The ecology part was dry as hell. Didn't really enjoy it (especially population ecology), but honestly if you keep up with the studies everything should be a breeze. The exam was all multiple choice which is great, but still only ended up getting a 70% because I didn't prep hard enough. The first group assignment was amazing (at least from my experience) - the only difficult bit is that the lecturer asks you questions based on it, so you cannot freeload your way out.

Overall, really good subject, didn't necessarily like that the subject was solely reliant on ecology (even the exam was assessed on that only), would've loved to study more about other stuff.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:22:44 pm by SockInfinite »

SockInfinite

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 10:30:22 pm »
+10
Subject Code/Name: AIC181 - Chinese 1A 

Assessment: 
20% oral exam
20% class presentation
20% weekly homework
40% exam

Past exams available:  No, but sample exam is included.

Textbook Recommendation:  You can get the textbook, but not necessary as lecturer will print them.

Lecturer(s): Xuemei Bai

Your Mark/Grade: 87 HD

Comments: I love Ms Bai. Great, down to earth teacher, definitely very compassionate.
- Weekly homework is pretty easy to score well, you just have to complete them and that's it
- oral exam is a bit more difficult as she asks you questions based on the text, but if you listen for key words it shouldn't be a problem
- class presentation was alright, a bit nervewracking talking to 50 people in the zoom call lol but overall I loved it. Ms Bai is very lenient when it comes to marking
- exam is pretty standard - a hybrid of forms like short answer questions, mcq, matching the chinese word to english, translate.

SockInfinite

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 10:45:27 am »
+5
Subject Code/Name: SIT102 - Introduction to Programming 

Assessment: 
80% portfolio
20% exam

Past exams available:  Yes

Textbook Recommendation:  ...

Lecturer(s): Glory Lee

Year & Semester of completion: 2019 T3

Rating:  2/5

Your Mark/Grade: 60 Credit

Comments: Wasn't the biggest fan of technology, hence the quite low score.  The first couple weeks are a complete introduction (example, how to program basics using C++, drawing pictures using command prompts (i think that's how you say it?), artefacts). It's a fun subject at first, but I personally didn't enjoy the theory part of this subject and was more practical. My lecturer stated that if you're competent, then you can just rock up to the exam stress-free as it's pretty straight-forward.
Overall, a great unit for those who have not touched IT, but it can get a bit messy if you don't start firing questions when you don't understand something

blazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 05:07:38 pm »
+6
Subject Code/Name: SIT199 Applied Algebra and Statistics 

Workload:  1x 50 min tute, 3x 50min lecture throughout the week

Assessment: 4x Problem solving tasks each worth 10%, Exam worth 60%

Lecture Recording Enabled:  Yes with screencap

Past exams available:  Yes dated back from 2012

Textbook Recommendation:  Nothing, all provided by lecture

Lecturer(s): Can't recall his surname but his first name was David

Year & Semester of completion: Tri 1 2018

Your Mark/Grade: 96% Overall at HD

Comments: It is very straightforward and easy, with many many examples. Claims you need to have known Maths Methods very well but in my opinion you do not need to. Lecturer was super nice and it was harder to fail than pass this unit. If you tend to pick up mathematical concepts slower but are interested in it I recommend this 100%

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »
+2

Subject Code/Name: HBS109 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology

Handbook Link: https://www.deakin.edu.au/current-students-courses/unit-search.php?year=2020&entunit=hbs109&entkeyword=

Workload:
Weeks 1-3: 1x 2hr class p/w
Weeks 1-11: 1x 1hr seminar p/w
Weeks 1-11: 1x online module p/w
Throughout Trimester: 4x 2hr practicals

Assessment:
AT1 [20%]: 3x Quizzes - in weeks 4, 7 and 10
AT2 Part 1 [5%]: Plan - due week 5
AT2 Part 2 [25%]: Case Base Learning Assignment - due week 9
AT3 [20%]: Practical Portfolio - due week 10
AT4 [30%]: 1.5hr Examination

Lecture Recording Enabled: Yes

Past Exams Available: Yes

Textbook Recommendation: Yes, and it was the only reason I passed lol

Lecturers: Craig Wright & Giselle Allsop

Year & Semester of Completion: Trimester 1 2020

Rating: 4/5

Your Mark/Grade: 73 Distinction

Comments: This unit was honestly what I feared before starting uni - huge amount of content, lots to remember, lots of assessments, an exam, etc. However, it is also one of the units I've enjoyed most so far. The content was interesting and I found myself wishing I had more time to delve deeper into it - which I ended up being able to do in follow on units like HSE102 and HSE208. It seemed like whenever I was finally scraping the surface of a topic, it shifted to an entirely new one. Definitely not a unit you want to fall behind in. Avoid extensions as well if you can - the unit spaces them out and it's hard to juggle when everything is suddenly overlapping! The unit was organised in a rather simply way - one body system per week.

This was one of the first units I took starting uni. It was a welcome learning curve that I'm incredibly grateful for. It taught me to take minimalistic notes - a skill that has come in handy in every other unit I have since taken - and how to manage my study time effectively. I had no problem sitting down and pumping out a few hours of notes, but I learned midway through the trimester that my notes were meaningless because I had not taken the time to really understand the content.

The unit became incredibly more enjoyable and easier once I recognised that and adjusted accordingly. I look back on this unit fondly. I enjoyed the assessments - particularly the case study. I did feel pretty out of my depth with it though. We hadn't even gotten to that topic yet and I was expected to write all about it. I had to work ahead to complete it, and on top of it's pretty heavy workload, that was a bit hard to manage.

I assume my experience with this unit might be a little different from others given that half of it was spent online in lock down. Due to this the exam and other assessments became open book, which meant they changed the questions to make it more about applying what we've learned, as opposed to just regurgitating it. I found that was easier because I have terrible memory and there was a lot of content, but I'd worked on having a good understanding.

Overall, pretty interesting unit, if you stay on top of things (and don't get sick of hearing about homeostasis lol)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 06:16:57 pm »
+3
Subject Code/Name: HBS109 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology

Workload: 1 x 2 hour Introductory online class (Weeks 1-3 only)
1 x online module per week
1 x 90 min seminar per week
4 x 2 hour practical classes per trimester

Assessment: Study Skills, 10%
2 Quizzes (online), 10% each
Case based learning assignment, 2 parts, part 1 15%, part 2 25%
Exam, 30%

Lecture Recording Enabled: Uncertain.

Past exams available: Either there weren't or I missed them.

Textbook Recommendation: Don't bother buying any. But definitely download OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology, you'll need it. Recommend doing it in advance. Like as far in advance as you can, to learn the material.

Lecturer(s): Craig Wright and Giselle Allsop. Also someone who might've been named Sarah?

Year & Semester of completion: 2021 T1 (trimester 1)

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 depending on my final mark :P

Your Mark/Grade: Update it when I get it... if I remember... if you're curious and I haven't updated it by August or so feel free to bother me about it.

Comments: Kids: this unit is as awful as they always say. However: it's also surprisingly fun. Given a ridiculous workload, it's nevertheless not too bad as a unit. It's well taught and easy to know what we need to know... we just need to know it. The exam (which I did a couple of days ago) was actually a lot of fun; being open book I could research the questions and get the answers of the internet (and I did).

The case studies were both done very speedily; procrastination hit me like a bus. In both cases, I finished it the day it was due. Which is not a good idea. However, I did find both very interesting.

I don't know what else to say. My advice is don't get behind. I did, but that's not a good idea.

This is a core subject for nursing. Anyone who wants to go into the broad medical field, I'd advise you to do this unit; it gives a good solid basis.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 09:46:57 pm »
+3
Subject Code/Name: HNN112 - Quality and Safety: Nursing Practise 1

Workload: 2 hour seminar and 2 hour nursing simulation, per week.

Assessment: 3 online tests, worth 40% between them. 1 examination, worth 60%. Also have to pass clinical placement, but that's not too bad (I mean, I passed, so) and doesn't affect your mark, although obviously if you fail that you fail the unit.

Lecture Recording Enabled: Unsure, sorry.

Past exams available: I think there was part of a sample exam? I didn't have time, really, to look at past exams since my studying for this subject was caught flat-footed by the power outages that week.

Textbook Recommendation: Not sure. 'Fundamentals of Nursing' is a good one, probably, but I didn't really use it. I should've used textbooks and required readings more than I did - it would've helped. There's an online version you can use, but the number of users at one time is limited, so be careful with that.

Lecturer(s): Sue; simulation leader Joo. Both were good, especially Joo.

Year & Semester of completion: 2021, trimester 1.

Rating: 3.5/5

Your Mark/Grade: Haven't got it yet; will update when I do.

Comments: It's worth noting that this - along with most of my units - has a cohort rule, basically, you can only be in one of the nursing courses to do it. Sure, I don't know why you'd want to otherwise, but still.
Give your overall opinion of the subject, lecturers, assessment etc. and a recommendation, plus anything else which you feel is relevant.

This unit was, I felt, very good: everything was relevant to what I'll (hopefully) end up doing when I get to the actual job. Some of it was annoying and rather boring, but all still relevant.

I may add more comments as I think of them.

The exam is worth a lot of the marks. I strongly advise studying hard for it (even though I didn't).
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 05:12:23 pm »
+2
Subject Code/Name: HDS101 Communication and Diversity  Please insert the handbook link for the subject, and replace SUBJECT CODE SUBJECT NAME with the appropriate details

Workload: 
I studied this through the VCE Accelerate program on the cloud campus so most of the work could be completed at whatever time suited you. Instead of lectures, there were online modules that had both podcasts and text (and though it varied week to week most of them took about an hour). There's also a weekly two hour class though recordings were avaliable.

Assessment: 
20 Question Multiple Choice Quiz - 20%
There's a practice quiz available and it's open book with all the answers in the weekly modules so I found it very straightforward.

Observational Essay - 40%
An essay about you're own experience in a healthcare situation using academic literature.

Communication Profile - 40%
A much more creative task. We got given the profile of a child with a disability who was to attend swimming lessons and had to design a plan and resource that would support his communication. There was scope to make a video or recording if you wanted.

Lecture Recording Enabled: Yes with screen capture.

Textbook Recommendation: There's no textbook- just a reading list of academic journals. If you have time I'd recommend even reading the optional ones (not just the required). A lot of the optional readings were VERY helpful for the assignments.

Year & Semester of completion: 2021 Semester 1

Rating: 5 Out of 5

Your Mark/Grade: HD (my first two assessments were really good but I only got ~60% on the third one because I had a different interpretation of the task to my marker).

Comments: I really enjoyed this subject. I know as a VCE student I definitely had a lot of time to put towards this subject because I wasn't juggling other uni work (just other VCE classes) but the lecturers were amazing and I think the more I engaged with the online discussion post section and online classes the more I got out of it.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 05:24:22 pm »
+2
Subject Code/Name: HDS106 Disability, Diversity and Social Inclusion 

Workload: Like HDS101 there's a two hour weekly seminar and online modules that fill the role of lectures. The modules for the first half of the unit (weeks 1-5) are very content heavy but it eases off significantly after that.

Assessment:
20 Question MC Quiz - 20%
Open book with all the answers found in the online modules.

Online Roleplay Pitch - 40%
Writing a pitch to a brief about an educational strategy (segregated, semi-segregated or mainstream education). You are graded individually but give peer feedback on drafts in groups.

Universal Design - 40%
Another pitch but this assignment was very self directed. Choose a universally designed product and pitch it to a Deakin student studying a different degree. I just wrote a report with lots of pictures and diagrams but there was the option to do a narrated powerpoint.

Lecture Recording Enabled: The seminars are recorded but any group discussion is cut out.

Textbook Recommendation: No textbook just the reading list. The book "Disabling Barriers- Enabling Environment" is a recommended text and there are many excerpts of it throughout the unit. If I did the unit again I definitely would have read the whole book before I started.

Year & Semester of completion: 2021 Semester 2

Rating: 5/5

Your Mark/Grade: HD

Comments: All the lecturers and tutors I interacted with were amazing. For both assignments, a marker reviewed our drafts before submission and gave really helpful feedback. Francois responded to every single person's post on every weekly discussion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:26:01 pm by laura_ »