Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:22 pm

Author Topic: UMAT 2018: Results & Discussion  (Read 46009 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
UMAT 2018: Results & Discussion
« on: April 26, 2018, 02:02:09 pm »
+12

Hey all!

So, as you may know, the UMAT for 2018 is on 25 July. Use this thread for any general questions and random discussion before and after (not during, haha) the UMAT.

Some general UMAT resources:
* Cookiedream's guide to the UMAT (really recommend this one!)
* UMAT information and tips
* UMAT resources and links

UMAT videos:
The 3-2 rule:

The 4-1 rule:

Correlation and causation:

Superimposition questions:

Ternary graphs:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:45:02 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: UMAT 2018: Discussion, Preparation, Videos and Other Resources
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:33:03 pm »
Been so quiet this year. How is everyone's preparations going?
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:40:16 pm »
Been so quiet this year. How is everyone's preparations going?

I only just saw this thread - superrrr quiet!

It's going pretty well I think... I've done 6.5 exams (the half exam from MedEntry if you're wondering about the 0.5). Probably going to do one or two more exams before the actual one and then just revise the questions and improve on small bits and pieces. I'm aiming for like a 85th percentile+ since I'm going for Monash :)
I think it'll all come down to time management and nerves on the day, so I hope it all goes well haha.

How's your prep going?
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 09:45:25 am »
Does anyone have advice on doing pick the middle questions with identical elements? I find them really hard and there’s not really much resources on it.

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:33 am »
+1

I only just saw this thread - superrrr quiet!

It's going pretty well I think... I've done 6.5 exams (the half exam from MedEntry if you're wondering about the 0.5). Probably going to do one or two more exams before the actual one and then just revise the questions and improve on small bits and pieces. I'm aiming for like a 85th percentile+ since I'm going for Monash :)
I think it'll all come down to time management and nerves on the day, so I hope it all goes well haha.

How's your prep going?

Hey!
I’ve also done only around 6-7 exams. I find my Medentry percentiles fluctuate around the 70s unfortunately. Haven’t seen much improvement in terms of percentiles but my total score out of 134 seems to be improving. Which section do you find most challenging? I personally am dreading section 3. I’ve heard that in recent years mapping has become less and less useful and questions are more focused on things such as positional changes and transformations.

I am also aiming for Monash. However, I heard we at least need the ~90th percentile to have a chance along with a 99+ ATAR. So my aim is just around the 90th percentile

@lazaward

Identical elements are indeed typically tough questions. There is also definitely isn’t much information online.
These are my steps typically with them.
1. Map out all of the positions on one diagram
2. Look for a very simple movement - 1,1,1,1, -1,-1,-1,-1, +2,+2,+2,+2. Often exam writers put a very simple pattern for atleast one object as they also know these questions are quite difficult. I doubt they ever do something crazy like 0,1,2,3 and -1,+2,-3+4 for an identical object question.
3. If I can’t find any, try applying the ‘Even Odd’ rule. I am really bad at using this. It only helps me determine if the pieces are following a 3-2 split or a 5-5 split between even and odd positions. It barely ever helps me find a pattern.
4. Guess and check until I feel it is taking too much time.
5. If I still do not have an answer just skip it. Put down my best guess (using 3-2 rule if possible). It is really not worth as there are likely easier questions in the exam that are more worthy of my time.
Subjects

userrrname

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:18 am »
Section 1 is absolutely disgusting. I'm trying so hard to be positive but some questions are SO long that it takes me at least 5 mins just to understand the question (and sometimes I don't). Are passages really lengthy in the actual UMAT? And what's the most common section 1 question (e.g argument, table, graph etc)?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:04:25 am by userrrname »

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 11:12:58 am »

Section 1 is absolutely disgusting. I'm trying so hard to be positive but some questions are SO long that it takes me at least 5 mins just to understand the question (and sometimes I don't). Are passages really lengthy in the actual UMAT? And what's the most common section 1 question (e.g argument, table, graph etc)?

Apparently diagram and data questions made up the majority of questions last year. There were still however those logic puzzle type questions. Section 1 can be quite time consuming. I try not to feel guilty of spending like 3 mins just reading the info by telling myself that there are like 3-5 questions relating to it anyway.
If you can spend 5 mins reading information and then be able to answer all 3-5 questions in succession without looking back, I think it should be fine.
Subjects

userrrname

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 11:29:53 am »
That's actually reassuring since diagram and data questions are somewhat easier (keyword) then those really lengthy puzzle questions. You know, the ones that give you chunks of information and a couple of diagrams and figures and then asks a seemingly simple question. Like some puzzle logical questions are short and present a couple of rules but some are just time wasting!! But apparently harder questions scale up or something like that so we can't completely disregard them...

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:44 am »
That's actually reassuring since diagram and data questions are somewhat easier (keyword) then those really lengthy puzzle questions. You know, the ones that give you chunks of information and a couple of diagrams and figures and then asks a seemingly simple question. Like some puzzle logical questions are short and present a couple of rules but some are just time wasting!! But apparently harder questions scale up or something like that so we can't completely disregard them...

That is not true and is simply a rumour. According to acer themselves, 'All questions have the same value; therefore by attempting
as many questions as possible you stand the best chance ofmaximising your score. '
Subjects

userrrname

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 11:46:12 am »
That's what I thought, but someone mentioned that it would be illogical if everything was worth the same. There are more section 1 questions then the other two and every section is out of 100. Unless the calculation is really weird, and somehow out of 100 is something different to what we think, which also seems plausible.

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 11:56:45 am »
That's what I thought, but someone mentioned that it would be illogical if everything was worth the same. There are more section 1 questions then the other two and every section is out of 100. Unless the calculation is really weird, and somehow out of 100 is something different to what we think, which also seems plausible.
Maybe all questions for each section is worth the same?
Im not sure. I've heard in general that 90/134 is usually 90th percentile while 100/134 is high 90s or even 100th.
Subjects

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »
Hey!
I’ve also done only around 6-7 exams. I find my Medentry percentiles fluctuate around the 70s unfortunately. Haven’t seen much improvement in terms of percentiles but my total score out of 134 seems to be improving. Which section do you find most challenging? I personally am dreading section 3. I’ve heard that in recent years mapping has become less and less useful and questions are more focused on things such as positional changes and transformations.

I am also aiming for Monash. However, I heard we at least need the ~90th percentile to have a chance along with a 99+ ATAR. So my aim is just around the 90th percentile

I think I'm just dreading some weird section 3 questions where there's a certain piece and it undergoes some transformations to result in a new piece (looks like a multiplication symbol if you know what I'm talking about). For some reason they take a while for me but hopefully i can improve on that.

Really? I've seen people get interviews with like a 99+ atar with high 70s and 80s! But then they do really well on the interview and get in, so not too sure haha. I guess aiming for the best is all you can do in the end
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 02:20:22 pm »
how are you guys doing on the practice acer papers (if that's not too much to ask)?

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 03:19:22 pm »

how are you guys doing on the practice acer papers (if that's not too much to ask)?

I thought I did pretty well on exam 3 (ACER) getting a 94/134. Then I put my results into medentry and it told me I got like 30th percentile or something LOL.
I hope it’s just that people abuse the medentry percentile thing by putting in all the right answers or something. Otherwise that’s quite depressing.
Subjects

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:13 pm »
Really? I've seen people get interviews with like a 99+ atar with high 70s and 80s! But then they do really well on the interview and get in, so not too sure haha. I guess aiming for the best is all you can do in the end

85+ percentile gives you a good edge in securing an interview if you're able to get a 99 ATAR. (Personal anecdote, I got exactly 85 in UMAT)

Can't fathom the enthusiasm of doing UMAT papers though DAMN, you guys are gonna do well.

2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching