Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:46:10 pm

Author Topic: Applying for Co-op Scholarship  (Read 4561 times)  Share 

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Applying for Co-op Scholarship
« on: August 04, 2018, 01:08:00 pm »
Hi Guys, I just have some queries:
1. Are there any necessary qualities and factors an individual must have/show to receive the scholarship.
2. If you are a person that not's involved in a lot of extra curricular activities and havent received/ achieved prestigious sporting/academic awards, is it possible to get in. I only have a handful :(
3. If I choose, lets say mechanical as my first preferance and I got in, do I get to combine it with other degrees, or is it just specifally for 1 degree (i.e. prevent you from doing a double degree.)??
4. If your current trial marks are not sufficient to achieve the minimum atar requirement do you still have a possibility of getting in, what I mean is that would improving significantly and getting good marks in the HSC that will give you the required atar be sufficient to get in??
5. Do they look for students the continually improve and strive for excellence??, because I got 52% in Physics yr 11 yearly exam and was towards the bottom of the pack, but for the recent trail I got 83% with an overall ranking of second.

6. Also, what makes being part of the Co-op program special, prestigious and what opportunities does it provide??
Thanks in Advance!!
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Applying for Co-op Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 09:39:56 am »
+5
Hi Guys, I just have some queries:

Hey!! Let's do it :)

1. Are there any necessary qualities and factors an individual must have/show to receive the scholarship.

They are looking for future employees, that's what you have to remember. So anything that would make you a good employee to a company  (organisation, passion to contribute, communication and leadership skills) is what they are after.

2. If you are a person that not's involved in a lot of extra curricular activities and havent received/ achieved prestigious sporting/academic awards, is it possible to get in. I only have a handful :(

Extra-curricular are good because they let you demonstrate (again) those employable qualities. There are other ways to show them, for sure, so it definitely won't prohibit you! Having a part time job is the one thing I'd say that is a big boost to you (again, employability).

3. If I choose, lets say mechanical as my first preferance and I got in, do I get to combine it with other degrees, or is it just specifally for 1 degree (i.e. prevent you from doing a double degree.)??

They are pretty anti-double. The reasoning being that if you do a double, a sponsor is less happy, because they go, "Well what if they go work in the industry for the other half of their double degree!" It all comes back to companies wanting employees - They want to know you are committed to their industry.

4. If your current trial marks are not sufficient to achieve the minimum atar requirement do you still have a possibility of getting in, what I mean is that would improving significantly and getting good marks in the HSC that will give you the required atar be sufficient to get in??

Getting the 96 ATAR that you need is absolutely still possible even if your Trial marks aren't quite where they need to be for that - Don't let that stop you from applying! ;D

5. Do they look for students the continually improve and strive for excellence??, because I got 52% in Physics yr 11 yearly exam and was towards the bottom of the pack, but for the recent trail I got 83% with an overall ranking of second.

Killer job my friend!! Congrats! I don't know if they would be specifically looking for that but it is definitely something you can point to as a positive quality - Employers like people who they know will actively try and improve their work :)

6. Also, what makes being part of the Co-op program special, prestigious and what opportunities does it provide??
Thanks in Advance!!

Co-Op guarantees you more than a year of industry experience before you graduate - Crazy beneficial, as you can imagine. Up against every other graduate, pretty much only a handful will have that sort of leg-up. Beyond even the benefits for graduate employment, it gives you a chance to figure out what parts of the industry you like (and what parts you don't like), and develop some professional relationships you can call on later ("Hey! I interned with you a few years ago and this project is something you know a lot about, could I buy you a coffee and get some advice?")

But it is also restrictive - No doubles, no other internships (not specifically, just because you don't have time) and extends your degree by a year. It is not a holy grail opportunity, there are many many others. But it is a really cool thing, to be sure ;D