Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:25:29 am

Author Topic: Does anyone do athletics?  (Read 6428 times)  Share 

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Does anyone do athletics?
« on: November 03, 2018, 07:39:57 pm »
+1
Hey!
Just out of my own curiosity, does anyone do athletics outside of school? If so, what events do you like to do/focus on?
I just noticed that there was a lotta conversation about other sports on this page, but from a quick look, no one seems to be much of an athletics fan.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Does anyone do athletics?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:00:04 pm »
+4
Outside of school, well sort-of?

I did little athletics when I was little (go figure  ;) ), and have been competing in school-based competitions since.

I am definitely more of a long distance runner, so my favourite events are the 800m and 1500m. I did long jump for a bit, but had to stop doing that due to an injury. At LA, it was kinda funny, I literally came 2nd in all my events to the same girl, and the only event I beat her in was the walk. So maybe that was my calling, haha!  ;D

As I am graduating school this year, I having been looking for some adult-aged athletics, but they all seem to be super competitive and elite. Thinking I might stick to more cross-country and fun-run type stuff, since I could probably convince my friends to do them too.

On a side note, I was super jealous of my school because they got tickets to watch the athletics at the Invictus Games, meanwhile, I was stuck in an exam room. :'(

What about you?

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 08:01:57 pm »
+5
Hey!
Just out of my own curiosity, does anyone do athletics outside of school? If so, what events do you like to do/focus on?
I just noticed that there was a lotta conversation about other sports on this page, but from a quick look, no one seems to be much of an athletics fan.
I don't do athletics myself atm (lmao what even is time for sport), but I do watch my brother compete in weekly little athletics meets, albeit the 8:15am starts on Saturdays! He seems to enjoy long jump and shot put the most ^-^

Back in the day though, I loved both the 100m and 400m races the most <3
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:33:06 pm »
+3
Outside of school, well sort-of?

I did little athletics when I was little (go figure  ;) ), and have been competing in school-based competitions since.

I am definitely more of a long distance runner, so my favourite events are the 800m and 1500m. I did long jump for a bit, but had to stop doing that due to an injury. At LA, it was kinda funny, I literally came 2nd in all my events to the same girl, and the only event I beat her in was the walk. So maybe that was my calling, haha!  ;D
At LA I was almost the exact same - second in everything to this one guy, except in the walk. How strange.

As I am graduating school this year, I having been looking for some adult-aged athletics, but they all seem to be super competitive and elite. Thinking I might stick to more cross-country and fun-run type stuff, since I could probably convince my friends to do them too.

I know what you mean. For teens/young adults competition at senior paths is pretty competitive at times and there isn't a massive community of non-serious young athletes who just want to have fun. Of course, there are some, but they are usually off on their own which can be a big de-motivator. That being said, there is a substantial difference as you get to the other spectrum of the age groups with most 40+ competitors simply doing it for social interaction and fitness (what I presume you are most interested in).
I personally do enjoy fun runs more than senior paths (the name doesn't lie), but I wish I could convince my anti-outside friends to do it with me.
On a side note, I was super jealous of my school because they got tickets to watch the athletics at the Invictus Games, meanwhile, I was stuck in an exam room. :'(

What about you?
That would be a bummer.

I do senior athletics which means meeting up once a weekend/fortnight for a general competition and a going to a more 'serious comp' a few times a year. I most enjoy the longer running events (not a massive sprinter) with steeplechase being my favorite (steeplechase is the one where you jump in the water).

I don't do athletics myself atm (lmao what even is time for sport), but I do watch my brother compete in weekly little athletics meets, albeit the 8:15 am starts on Saturdays! He seems to enjoy long jump and shot put the most ^-^

Back in the day though, I loved both the 100m and 400m races the most <3
Its good that your brother enjoys it, and its good that you used to. I certainly remember the early stars which were may even earlier cause when we helped set up.
It seems that a lot of people don't continue on from little aths for whatever reasons  :'( However, there is always time for sports  ;D.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:39:52 pm »
+7
Hey same! Fellow long distance runner here. In school athletics carnivals the only events I ever do are 800m and 1500m. Once house captain made me cover someone in 200m sprint and I was a solid 20 metres behind the guy that came second last. ;D

Also do a lot of cross country, though this year I was ONE place away from making it to states WHYYYY. I used to run marathons quite a lot (Melbourne Marathon, Great Ocean Road Marathon etc) but after year 12 started that went downhill. (Will be picking it up again after November).
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Omarrr_2163

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 08:57:59 pm »
+3
I do Mathletics :")
2018: Business Management {42} ~ Further Mathematics {41}
2019: Chemistry (~40) - Mathematical Methods (~42) ~ English (40) ~ Physics (~38)
ATAR Goal: 97

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 09:04:28 pm »
I do Mathletics :")
Whats your fav event? ;)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 09:30:02 pm »
+1
Hey same! Fellow long distance runner here. In school athletics carnivals the only events I ever do are 800m and 1500m. Once house captain made me cover someone in 200m sprint and I was a solid 20 metres behind the guy that came second last. ;D

Also do a lot of cross country, though this year I was ONE place away from making it to states WHYYYY. I used to run marathons quite a lot (Melbourne Marathon, Great Ocean Road Marathon etc) but after year 12 started that went downhill. (Will be picking it up again after November).

See, I feel that short distance runners have the upper-hand here, because when they do long-distance, they are fit, so they usually do alright. But when us long-distance runners go in short-distance, its pretty drastic for our poor muscle fibres, that are struggling to twitch any faster haha.  ;D

Wow, definitely have some admiration for someone who runs marathons!  ;D I have always wanted to try to train and go in one, but I feel like my body wouldn't survive it! What kind of training did you do for the marathons?
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 09:56:03 pm »
+7
See, I feel that short distance runners have the upper-hand here, because when they do long-distance, they are fit, so they usually do alright. But when us long-distance runners go in short-distance, its pretty drastic for our poor muscle fibres, that are struggling to twitch any faster haha.  ;D

Wow, definitely have some admiration for someone who runs marathons!  ;D I have always wanted to try to train and go in one, but I feel like my body wouldn't survive it! What kind of training did you do for the marathons?
Ah yes. Poor muscle fibres. It's a cruel world for us long distance runners.
Though I do get a wonderful sense of satisfaction when I gradually overtake all the short distance runners who sprint at the beginning of every cross country.

My training for cross country usually involves hitting the snooze button every morning, which causes me to miss the bus, so I have to run 1.8km to school.
Okay, in all seriousness, my only training for cross country is running an hour in the morning and another at night. I used to do a lot more but then VCE happened. Also, I usually don't use public transport so I just walk everywhere (though this might also be because I'm seriously broke and need to save money on my myki/opal card).

It's best to start off with a short distance at first, like 10km or something, and then gradually add more. :)
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 10:01:48 pm »
+6
I was never with an athletics club but I was always in the aths team at school :) I'm a sprinter...anything longer than 200m and I die haha. I had to fill in for the 800m in year 12 because noone else from my house was gonna do it and it was the worst.

Hoping to get back into soccer after a long lay-off from injury (2 years!!) but maybe if I don't love it so much anymore I'll have a go at athletics.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 10:15:24 pm »
+4

That's strange because I feel the opposite about short distance runners having an upper hand. I feel that most long distances runners can pull out a sprint, but if you ask a 100m runner to run 10km, there will be allota complaining and possibly death.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 12:16:51 pm »
I was never with an athletics club but I was always in the aths team at school :) I'm a sprinter...anything longer than 200m and I die haha. I had to fill in for the 800m in year 12 because noone else from my house was gonna do it and it was the worst.

Hoping to get back into soccer after a long lay-off from injury (2 years!!) but maybe if I don't love it so much anymore I'll have a go at athletics.
Oh no! What did you do to put yourself on the bench for 2 years!?
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 02:25:27 pm »
+1
Oh no! What did you do to put yourself on the bench for 2 years!?
Had to have surgery on both of my hips! Initially it started out as just the one but then the other started playing up so I decided to just take the extra time off to get it fixed rather than go back to sport for a bit and end up having to take another break.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 04:25:13 pm »
+1
Had to have surgery on both of my hips! Initially it started out as just the one but then the other started playing up so I decided to just take the extra time off to get it fixed rather than go back to sport for a bit and end up having to take another break.
well, that's a bummer.
I have been graciously gifted with never having an injury so I haven't felt your pains (and hope to never).
I hope you can get back into sport, and this time injury-free!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:27:43 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point