Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:10 pm

Author Topic: Do my subjects scale well for ATAR.  (Read 7163 times)

lianeric

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Do my subjects scale well for ATAR.
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:35:15 pm »
Hi the following subjects that I will be doing in Year 11 is English, Maths Methods, Physical Education, Accounting, Digital Solutions and Biology. Which of my subjects are high scaling, median scaling and low scaling and are my subjects as a whole mostly high, median and low scaling. I know that you should not really care about scaling but I am curious. Also, I don't need to know the exact scaling just roughly based on past years.

thanks

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: Do my subjects scale well for ATAR.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:55:52 pm »
+3
Since the ATAR system is replacing OP in 2020, there are no scaling reports for QCE at the moment. However, since the subjects are similar to VCE, you can get a rough idea. Please keep in mind that it changes every year due to difficulty, so don't take these as solid numbers. Do pick subjects that you will enjoy instead of what scales best  ;)

According to the 2018 VCE scaling report:

Biology generally scales up by 1: median scaling.
English (mainstream) scales down by 2: low scaling.
Methods scales up by 5: high scaling.
PE scales down by 3: low scaling.
Accounting scales by either nothing or 1: medium scaling.
Digital solutions (we don't have this subject, but it is most likely equivalent to software development) scales down by 3: low scaling.

I wouldn't say these are super reliable, and I am not sure about digital solutions. Keep in mind that the higher your score, the less they scale. For instance, a study score of 30 in PE scales down to 27, however a study score of 45 scales down to 44. All those estimations are base on if you get a 30 study score (the average).
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:30:07 pm »
+2
Since the ATAR system is replacing OP in 2020, there are no scaling reports for QCE at the moment. However, since the subjects are similar to VCE, you can get a rough idea. Please keep in mind that it changes every year due to difficulty, so don't take these as solid numbers. Do pick subjects that you will enjoy instead of what scales best  ;)

According to the 2018 VCE scaling report:

Biology generally scales up by 1: median scaling.
English (mainstream) scales down by 2: low scaling.
Methods scales up by 5: high scaling.
PE scales down by 3: low scaling.
Accounting scales by either nothing or 1: medium scaling.
Digital solutions (we don't have this subject, but it is most likely equivalent to software development) scales down by 3: low scaling.

I wouldn't say these are super reliable, and I am not sure about digital solutions. Keep in mind that the higher your score, the less they scale. For instance, a study score of 30 in PE scales down to 27, however a study score of 45 scales down to 44. All those estimations are base on if you get a 30 study score (the average).

Keep in mind that the reporting scale for QCE and VCE are different. In VCE the maximum study score for a subject is 50

kitanastxuber

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 11:54:47 am »
Im currently in grade 10 and I want to do Digital Solutions, General English and Math, Chemistry and Biology does these scale well?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 04:45:52 pm »
+2
Im currently in grade 10 and I want to do Digital Solutions, General English and Math, Chemistry and Biology does these scale well?

Hi :)

Welcome to the forums!

How each subject score scales changes each year depending on how strongly people taking that subject perform on their other subjects. You can see an explanation of this here. Since the ATAR system is so new to QCE it's hard to know how consistent these scores will be from year to year.

In 2020:

Biology scaled up
Chemistry scaled up
Digital solutions scaled up
General Maths scaled down
English scaled up

I would highly encourage you not to pick your subjects based on scaling; scaling is there to make it an even playing field for comparing subjects.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask if you have further questions :)