Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:26 am

Author Topic: Broc N’ Roll – kauac’s uni journal  (Read 14999 times)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Broc N’ Roll – kauac’s uni journal
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 06:42:11 pm »
+5
This journal hasn't seen daylight for some time! I'll have to admit I haven't been on AN for ages, but seems like a mild case of COVID and spare time to kill has brought me back! ;)

Let's do a semester 2 recap!

The whole semester was online, so it actually flew by pretty quickly!

Proteins in Cells was pretty hard, but my mark was so good it actually made me laugh. Pracs were long and hard, a lot of excel and watching other people do assays. Did like learning about amino acids though!

Physiology was good! Some modules better than others - my favourites were the pain / CNS lectures, nutrition and ear lectures. The bioengineering module was something different, way out of my comfort zone but learned a lot!

HCD was cool, actually loved the assignments! We got to interview a 4 yo child and then analyse a sample of their language, which was lots of fun! I tend to have a fairly analytical brain, so it was a slow and meticulous process.

Loved, loved, loved audiology! Just so good to dive into a specific area of healthcare, learn how to perform and analyse different types of audiological testing. And definitely picked up some clinical skills that will be helpful for wherever I end up! Another nice thing was that we just had one 3hr Zoom class for this a week (with breaks, how good!!) which was super chill and we got to know the lecturers quite well!

I always say I want to join more clubs / societies but then the busyness of semester kicks in and I don't commit. Sydney recently started up a Yoga society so I did 1 zoom session and that was it haha. Maybe I'll try a few more classes this year. Still pretty involved with the EU though, which has been a joy!

Only had 1 exam in the finals period semester 2, since the rest of my units were just made up of assessments. Went to the Central Coast with my friend for a weekend in between finishing my other subjects and my exam, which was a treat! Well needed, I think, since I was approaching burn out towards the end of the semester.

Went away for a week after uni for an EU conference / weekend mission trip! That was cool to get out and about, meet old and new friends and see new parts of Australia. Had to call the NRMA but all ended up well!

2022 & Semester 1

Christmas was great for catching up with fam I haven't seen in a while! Plenty of food to go round. Didn't really do anything for NYE, because my sister and I had been on a bit of a river expedition floating down the river for several hours on water mattresses and got quite burnt / tired.

Been having a few hayfever/ cold symptoms the last couple of days and came back with a positive RAT test this morning. So off I went to try and get a PCR (which is so so hard to get at the moment, so many places are still closed from Christmas!). By God's grace, I rocked up to my second testing clinic for the morning an hour before it closed and I got tested within 30 minutes. So now I have to wait until I officially get my results back to contact people and stuff. I'm not actually feeling that sick (even felt better today than yesterday), the vaccine is pretty good for that!

Onto semester 1 for this year - haven't done my weekly schedule yet but did my enrollment couple of days ago, and here's my subjects:

FOOD3001 - Food Processing and Value Adding
NUTM3001 - Introductory Nutrition and Metabolism
BIOS3166 - Neuroscience of Hearing II
OLEs (still considering which ones, but likely a physiology, chemistry and arts one)

Super keen for these subjects since they're all quite niche, and I'm finally getting into some proper nutrition subjects! I expect them all to be quite intense assessment-wise, but it should be worth it! It's looking like I'll be in at uni 2 days a week for some practicals, I think all lectures will be online - I think this is my ideal uni model. Planning to be involved in some EU things as well (hopefully in-person). For prac locations, I'll be in the Charles Perkins Centre (cool but also a hike) and also another building which is on the other side of Redfern, fun! The topics sound great though!

Whilst life (and a consistent exercise schedule  ;D) is on hold at the moment, I've still been a bit productive. Applied for a hospital job today, planning things for a youth camp that I'm leading on in a few weeks time, ticking things off my to-do list. Got some more lego for Christmas so I've built one already - a flower bouquet. Might make a start on the other - a friends central perk set - this week. Maybe I can get into reading - something that I normally try and do during holidays. It's a world of possibilities.

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 07:08:27 pm »
+1

Went away for a week after uni for an EU conference / weekend mission trip! That was cool to get out and about, meet old and new friends and see new parts of Australia. Had to call the NRMA but all ended up well!
Did you go to NTE?? If so, I also went with CBS!! Where about did you go for mission?  ;D

So great your not feeling too sick with covid at the moment! Really hope that the recovery goes well & staying at home isn't too annoying/boring!
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2022, 11:16:42 am »
+1
Did you go to NTE?? If so, I also went with CBS!! Where about did you go for mission?  ;D

So great your not feeling too sick with covid at the moment! Really hope that the recovery goes well & staying at home isn't too annoying/boring!

Yes I did go to NTE! Really solid teaching on mission, hey! :) I went to Berkeley (south of Wollongong) for mission. What about you?

Thanks! Haven't run out of things to do in isolation just yet, and I'm almost done.  ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2022, 05:22:58 pm »
+1
Yes I did go to NTE! Really solid teaching on mission, hey! :) I went to Berkeley (south of Wollongong) for mission. What about you?

Thanks! Haven't run out of things to do in isolation just yet, and I'm almost done.  ;D
Would've been funny if we saw each other there (but there were so many people)! yeah, I had heaps to reflect on from the talks & strand groups were so good!

ohh, Wollongong's nice (never been to Berkeley before though)! Did your group get to go to the beach?

I was at Chester Hill for mission (kinda near Fairfield/Bankstown area). It was a super multicultural church & I'd never done mission before so was really great to be involved in lots of new things & get a lot closer to our mission team.   ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 04:30:47 pm »
+1
Would've been funny if we saw each other there (but there were so many people)! yeah, I had heaps to reflect on from the talks & strand groups were so good!

ohh, Wollongong's nice (never been to Berkeley before though)! Did your group get to go to the beach?

I was at Chester Hill for mission (kinda near Fairfield/Bankstown area). It was a super multicultural church & I'd never done mission before so was really great to be involved in lots of new things & get a lot closer to our mission team.   ;D

That would have be funny haha! Sounds like both NTE and mission was a really valuable time! We didn't go to the beach as a team but I stayed an extra day and went with a friend after haha.  :)