Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:34:20 am

Author Topic: tutoring year 7-12 in one class!  (Read 3750 times)  Share 

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
tutoring year 7-12 in one class!
« on: January 24, 2020, 04:51:29 pm »
+1
So I’ve just found a tutoring job which is really exciting. It’s at a tuition center which is also quite helpful bc the hours and times are consistent. Problem is the manager would like me to tutor people from yr7-12 all in the one class (about 7 students all in all) this seems quite daunting has anyone ever managed to cope with so many varied abilities under the same roof? On top of this in subjects like English different schools read different texts, now imagine that with 6 different year levels. Any advice?
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: tutoring year 7-12 in one class!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 04:57:15 pm »
+2
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable tutoring yr 7-12 in the one class as their needs would be very different, unfortunately, short of leaving I doubt there is much you could do about this. If I had to be in that situation I would try to focus on developing skills common across all of them.

Good luck

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: tutoring year 7-12 in one class!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 05:11:27 pm »
+3
So I’ve just found a tutoring job which is really exciting. It’s at a tuition center which is also quite helpful bc the hours and times are consistent. Problem is the manager would like me to tutor people from yr7-12 all in the one class (about 7 students all in all) this seems quite daunting has anyone ever managed to cope with so many varied abilities under the same roof? On top of this in subjects like English different schools read different texts, now imagine that with 6 different year levels. Any advice?
I haven't really heard of this happening tbh. I know sometimes tuition centre's bunch up grades that are close to each other like years 7-8, 9-10 but never this broad.

I think you will need to generate a system whereas you are teaching whilst the other students have something that they are doing to make sure students aren't just turning up and having to wait for you to teach them.