Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:25:25 pm

Author Topic: Changing subjects in Year 12 - Art  (Read 3952 times)  Share 

confusedyear12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Changing subjects in Year 12 - Art
« on: March 31, 2021, 09:37:52 am »
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently a Year 12 student, and I'm coming either 1st or 2nd across all my subjects, apart from Biology. I recently realised that I wanted nothing to do with the sciences (previously a raging STEM lover who wanted to go into Engineering or Medicine) and I went from all STEM subjects to all Humanities/English/Arts subjects (Hopefully going into Law or Marketing, had a giant identity crisis and went 180⁰ oops lol) 

I'm doing 11 units right now, and I was planning on dropping Biology, as I've come to absolutely hate it, and see it dragging me down in my HSC. I was wondering if anyone has "picked up" their Year 11 subject that they previously dropped? I understand its a crazy decision half way through Year 12, but I just wanted to see if it's even possible. I currently have 2 major works (4U English, Extension Science), and I know Art has a major work too, but I'm not too worried since my 4U eng major work is done, and my research project for Extension Science is in its final editing stages.

For context, I want to pick up Art as I came 1st in it last year, but had to drop it this year as it clashed with the subject lines. I was permitted to teach Art to myself last year during my study periods after setting up a meeting with the principal and it counted as a preliminary course completion. I also read on the NESA website that the last day for subject changes is mid June? And my school is independent - would this make it more likely for them to allow me to (re)pick up Art?

Thank you so much :)

Warmly,
A confused Year 12 student

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: Changing subjects in Year 12 - Art
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:49:13 pm »
+2
Hey, welcome to the forums ;D

Unfortunately I don't think many of us have the answer you'd like for your question. The one thing I can probably say is that a school being independent has little to no impact on you being allowed to pick up Art again - usually repicking a subject you've previously dropped is a) not allowed or b) dependent on either there being a qualified teacher available or a sufficient number of students wanting to do the subject such that the class can run. Since you've taught yourself the prelim Art course I'm slightly more inclined to believe it might be more possible (though not completely positive, this is a HSC course that probably needs to be overseen by some educator (I'm not exactly sure who will do that or how this works, bear in mind my response is based mostly on how I've seen school work and through intuition (STEM kid here))).

Your best bet is probably to talk to your principal again or some sort of Year Advisor (if you have one)/Head of Art (if your school has one). Your careers advisor (if there is one at your school) might also have some idea, and perhaps if a teacher explained in rough terms how the HSC was going to work to your grade, it might be worth contacting them as well (if they are distinct from the people previously mentioned). You clearly have the mettle, drive and ability to ace Art, it's more about getting the bureaucratic garbage out of the way, unfortunately.

Let us know if you have any other questions and tell us how it goes! Sorry I'm not able to help more :(
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions