Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:51:12 pm

Author Topic: ATAR was low but got into course? Anyone else  (Read 2785 times)  Share 

Littlelost

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
ATAR was low but got into course? Anyone else
« on: January 14, 2022, 02:04:22 pm »
+3
I am seriously shocked.

I thought I would be out of a chance with my first preference as my ATAR was significantly below the ATAR required but I got an offer today.

Has anyone else experienced this? It was a significant difference

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: ATAR was low but got into course? Anyone else
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 05:03:30 pm »
+2
Congrats on your offer!

Selection ranks change with each selection round and some courses will naturally see a lot of fluctuation e.g. 5-10 ATAR “points”, simply due to number of spots vs. demand for them. Courses with additional requirements on top of ATAR e.g. a portfolio or interview are usually very prone to having larger fluctuations simply due to the calibre of people who would’ve attempted to enter that course.

You may have also had a lot of SEAS (special consideration) or subject adjustments on your side, bumping your adjusted selection rank up to be competitive enough for a spot.

This really highlights that anything can happen and to put the course you genuinely want as Preference #1. You never know if you’ll get in or not without trying!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Mackenzie Aps

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: ATAR was low but got into course? Anyone else
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 05:08:43 pm »
Yes I was in the same boat. And needing some insight and guidance. I was successful in my first round offer I was delighted that I received my first round preference Monash Commerce/Science double, even though I was 2-3 points below the previous lowest selection rank .  I accepted off course and enrolled and completed my units selection.  Last round of offers I forgot to change my preferences so left as is, but in this last round I put Melb Uni Commerce in first preference as I had nothing to lose, (I got below 5 points below the lowest selection rank so didn't think I would get in).  Whilst Commerce / Science double was my first preference, I was surprised to get an offer today from UoM Commerce.  Now I'm in a lul.  Off course most of my friends are going to UoM and many are doing Commerce, the distance isn't an issue as have access to Melbourne Uni tram, I kind of wanted to keep my studies broad by doing a double at Monash, as I'm keen on the Science stream as well. I also have access to Monash transport as I'm near the the monash campus shuttle.  I still am leaning towards Monash Commerce/Science, I know the Commerce degrees would be fairly similar I guess, but would love to hear from members on their thoughts and/or experience before making final decision this week.