Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:07:47 am

Author Topic: blueycan's uni journal  (Read 2861 times)

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
blueycan's uni journal
« on: February 05, 2022, 01:06:05 am »
+13
♥*♡∞:。.。 Hello everybody! 。.。:∞♡*♥

I'm Blueycan and I graduated secondary school in 2021. These past few years have been tumultuous to say the least, but it has been super fun to document my time in my VCE Journal, so I have decided to continue the tradition on through my university experience!

Starting in 2022, I will be studying a Bachelor of Arts at The University of Melbourne. I also want to continue studying at a graduate level through the Juris Doctor post-Arts, to pursue my goals of practicing law.
I have not fully decided my majors/minors yet, but am currently planning on studying the areas of psychology, environmental studies, politics and criminology. (A lot, I know– I want to try as many things as possible before settling down on one or two!) As for the JD, I would love to eventually progress to law at a graduate level to become a lawyer one day. I'm not too sure which field yet, and I'm sure that will come with time, but for now the areas that intrigue me are medical/health, environmental and civil law. Of course these plans could change at any time!

This is what my first semester will look like:
ARTS10002 Arts Discovery
GEOG10001 Famine: The Geography of Scarcity
PSYC10003 Mind Brain and Behaviour 1
BLAW10001 Principles of Business Law

As for my goals/aspirations for 2022 and beyond:
• Keep on top of my commitments and daily schedules– avoid procrastination like the plague (is this even possible lol)
• Get more involved with friends, clubs, volunteering/leadership (basically get a social life)
• Keep up my grades
• Get my license and a car
• Prioritise my mental and physical health

Overall I'm super happy to start uni and get into everything it has to offer, I think the next few years are going to be really amazing. (Is it weird that I'm looking forward to writing up subject reviews on AN?) I will be working part time so I'm keen to have the days off uni provides, and just get adjusted to the whole lifestyle which is really new and exciting.

I'll be back soon to give updates, but this is me signing off for now :)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 01:37:02 am by blueycan »

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Re: blueycan's uni journal
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 11:21:38 pm »
+9

Happy Sunday everybody! Things have officially kicked off uni-wise and I haven't found the right opportunity to update until now, which is 3 weeks into the semester.

I'm finding that the first few days, and even the first week was totally different to what I was expecting. A lot of my time was spent in the library trying to do all the work I didn't know I had to prepare for and the hot weather did not help make it any more bearable  ;D
It is really nice to be able to walk through the campus and see all the buildings and rooms I said I'd visit when I was on tours and program days. On my first day, I made sure to take a moment to soak in my surroundings and appreciate that I was finally here after what felt like decades of waiting!!

One thing nobody tells you is how hard it is to figure out what to wear every day?? It's times like these I was thankful for having a uniform, even if I hated it  ::)  I've been recycling my Uniqlo basics and sneakers, and that's worked out so far– almost everyone I've seen around on campus is dressed so nicely as well, which helps motivate me to try lol

I didn't participate in much of o-week but I did make sure to check out some clubs and services Unimelb has to offer– I feel like as the semester progresses and more events happen, it's sure to get better and more eventful. I feel like since the uni hasn't been open for a while, things are still pretty quiet and everyone's still getting used to being in-person again– this isn't the worst thing, as everyone is taking time to get adjusted, and I'm less likely to feel like a clueless jaffy lmao. I've tried to make more of an effort to be more social– last year I would NOT have thought I'd have introduced myself to this many people so far. Ngl it's a little bit scary to meet all these different people, but it's good at the same time?? It's rewarding more than anything to put myself out there a little bit.

I'm enjoying my classes so far, but I do feel a little bit intimidated by the upcoming assessments I have to complete, as I'm obviously not used to the university's academic style and such, hopefully with more exposure and practice it will get less daunting?? My tutorials haven't really been delving into the content yet so I'm looking forward to when that kicks off, which should start this week.

I'm also being allocated to a group for my Arts Discovery research project soon, which should be interesting, as I'm not really a huge fan of group work but I think it would be a good opportunity to meet new people more than anything. Famine has been super interesting so far as well– I'm taking on a geography subject for the first time, so I appreciate the fresh content (as opposed to MBB1 which is a lot of repetition from yr12 so far) and am trying to stay on top of my work so I can engage with it a bit deeper and do some extra recommended readings. Tbh I haven't been on top on BLAW this week, so I'll talk about it a bit more next update  :P I'm taking full advantage of the flexibility of the subject, and am planning to specifically work on BLAW a lot tomorrow. I still am spewing a bit that I didn't pick up a language subject, but have been looking into possibly a winter intensive?? I'm not sure which language I'd take yet but I'm thinking maybe Italian or German  :o

I think that's all I'll write for today, but I will try to check in on a more regular basis (it's looking like 2-3 weeks atm)
Thanks and catch you in the next one  ;)

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: blueycan's uni journal
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 08:42:54 pm »
+1
Glad to see a positive update and your settling in well!
Wait till do you do the second test for BLAW (>60+ cases xd)
Yea MBB1 does feel a bit of repeat to psych but pay attention to the content that was not covered in vce coz they'll be heavily assessed.
Hope you're not feeling to overwhelmed with the start of uni, I can say once you get a hang of assessments you will get used to it  have a look at https://students.unimelb.edu.au/academic-skills for some information on assessments it might be helpful.
I know for MBB1 they go through some samlpes essays with you so hopefully that isn't too daunting can't say much about your other arts subject, but first year subjects are usually accommodating.
Have you had a chance to find a good coffee place at uni?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:20:40 am by tiredandstressed »
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis