Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:28:48 am

Author Topic: Last minute tips for the selective school exams  (Read 177210 times)  Share 

CurryMan22

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Last minute tips for the selective school exams
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2021, 04:34:05 pm »
Does anyone know if this year there is 2 essays or just one because the Hendersons practice one only had 1 30 minute one

AnxiousInd

• Trailblazer
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2021, 09:06:21 pm »
+1
I think it is only one 30 min piece which is either creative or persuasive, much like Hendersons.

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2021, 07:30:55 pm »
Hi All (particularly people who did the Victorian selective exam last year),

I am doing the SHS test this year to go to Nossal High school, from year 8 to year 9. Like last year, the test has been postponed three times already and the writing has been taken out. The date has not been confirmed yet, but it is soon and I think it will go ahead now because they cant postpone it more than November and the vaccine rates are high. I was wanting to ask some questions regarding the exam:

1. What would be a good score for the exams? I know that the test is only compared with other students, but is there some passing score or a number of superiors you need to obtain in order to get in? Can you get in with only 1 or 2?

2. Is it true that the reasoning exams (numeric and verbal) are worth more than the achievement tests (maths and reading ​comp)?

3. What tuitions are good? I go to a less-known tuition, North shore coaching college, and James an. I feel the tests at james an are all pretty accurate except for verbal (it is quite easy), whereas north shore has easy maths/numeric tests, but the verbal/reading are reasonably accurate. I read that James An has accurate maths and numerical, and hendersons has accurate reading/verbal.

4. Is james an similar to the real exam - is it harder or easier etc? I heard that james an is easy and hendersons is harder than it, but is that true? Also, has anyone else gone to north shore coaching college before?

5. Could anybody who has done the exam before please make a short test of 5 questions for the 4 subjects that would suit how the real test is? If not, could you at least tell me how hard they are?

6. For maths, I have heard different things at different places - some say all you need to know is basic year 9 math (like pythagoras, basic trig, statistics like mean, mode, IQR etc , factorising, quadratic graphs and financial interest). Others say that you need to spend ages studying for it and only got raw scores of 35/60 or so.

7. For reading comp, both my tuitions make it quite hard, but everywhere I read that it is so easy in the test and the texts were pretty short? The test should be similar to the 2020 one because there are similar circumstances, right?

8. What is the hardest test of the lot? How is the best way to study for it? I have got some notes for maths and have some word definitions for verbal, which I ask my parents to test me on? How can you study for numerical (I heard you can't really study for it)

9. Lastly (sorry if this entire post is long-winded), since there are only 4 subjects now, if you get only 2 superiors, do you have a chance of getting in?

Could someone who got in please post their scores if you would feel comfortable to? I would really appreciate a quick response as the exam is drawing very near. Thank you! :) :D
[/size]

ani2022

• Adventurer
« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2022, 09:42:07 am »
I also got all superiors and got into the school of my choice. I wanted to share my experience on the exam and some tips and tricks so see below for a Youtube video I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xPea-Q4xY