Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:54 pm

Author Topic: The Employment Advice Thread  (Read 71837 times)  Share 

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: The Employment Advice Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 06:45:50 pm »

I just got hired by a bakery. Will have my trial next week but I feel quite doubtful about this place. The guy told me to work from 7am to 5pm and the payment I reckon is around $8/hour or less. Should I take this job or try next Monday and see how it goes?

First thing, how old are you ? Because pay does depend on age as well. Also, is this like a small private business or a bigger company like baker's delight is ?

But if I were you, I would take the trial period and see how you like it and how much work is involved. The trial would also give you a little bit of experience which would be helpful if you're applying to other bakeries in future.

You should get a choice at the end of the trial about whether you want to stay or not..? I would make a decision based on how the trial turned out.

As for pay, depending on your age, 8 is about average. Depends how important the money is to you, but I would at least stay with the job until you find something else. It's easier to get hired somewhere else if you're already in a job..

Good luck ! :)

On another note, I have an interview for a fashion retail store next week. Has anyone here ever worked in fashion retail and can give me some tips on how to approach the interview and what sort of stuff they ask ?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

M_BONG

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 06:48:16 pm »

First thing, how old are you ? Because pay does depend on age as well. Also, is this like a small private business or a bigger company like baker's delight is ?

But if I were you, I would take the trial period and see how you like it and how much work is involved. The trial would also give you a little bit of experience which would be helpful if you're applying to other bakeries in future.

You should get a choice at the end of the trial about whether you want to stay or not..? I would make a decision based on how the trial turned out.

As for pay, depending on your age, 8 is about average. Depends how important the money is to you, but I would at least stay with the job until you find something else. It's easier to get hired somewhere else if you're already in a job..

On another note, I have an interview for a fashion retail store next week. Has anyone here ever worked in fashion retail and can give me some tips on how to approach the interview and what sort of stuff they ask ?
Btw, I am so glad for you that you got a job interview! You deserved it after all that hard work :)

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 06:49:12 pm »
Btw, I am so glad for you that you got a job interview! You deserved it after all that hard work :)
Aw, thankyou so much ! You're too kind :-*

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 06:54:25 pm »

I'm turning 18 next year. Thanks so much for the advice, it's just the idea of working 10 hours scares me a bit. But I'll give it a go and see how everything goes :)!
Good luck for your interview!!
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

Stevensmay

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 06:56:36 pm »
I'm turning 18 next year. Thanks so much for the advice, it's just the idea of working 10 hours scares me a bit. But I'll give it a go and see how everything goes :)!
Assuming everything is done legally, you'll normally receive a 30 minute break (unpaid) as well as potentially a tea break depending on your contract/award.

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 06:58:37 pm »
I know this thread is aimed at graduated HS students but does anyone have any thoughts on part time employment at Chemist Warehouse/any pharmacy during year 12?
Idk if I should start working now (end yr 11) or just wait until I graduate. 
+ is there an interview process? What are some likely questions I might be asked if I apply?
2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 06:59:34 pm »
Assuming everything is done legally, you'll normally receive a 30 minute break (unpaid) as well as potentially a tea break depending on your contract/award.
I used to work for a quite big fast food chain. 7 hours shift with only 10 minutes break, maybe this is why I feel a bit uncertain about this job. But thanks for letting me know!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »
I used to work for a quite big fast food chain. 7 hours shift with only 10 minutes break, maybe this is why I feel a bit uncertain about this job. But thanks for letting me know!
That must have been illegal. They were probably jibbing you overtime.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

slinkykitty

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 07:18:49 pm »
Hello nhmn0301,   $8 per hour sounds very low.   For a 17 year old, I would think that it should be around the $13ish per hour for a casual, which would include a 25% casual loading.  ( Sat/Sun would be more)

You can look up your award/pay rate here:

http://paycheck.fwo.gov.au/PayCheckPlus.aspx

All the very best with your trial :)

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 07:30:07 pm »
That must have been illegal. They were probably jibbing you overtime.
Hello nhmn0301,   $8 per hour sounds very low.   For a 17 year old, I would think that it should be around the $13ish per hour for a casual, which would include a 25% casual loading.  ( Sat/Sun would be more)

You can look up your award/pay rate here:

http://paycheck.fwo.gov.au/PayCheckPlus.aspx

All the very best with your trial :)
Thanks Ned Nerb and slinkykitty. That website will come in handy :D!

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 11:52:29 pm »
hi guys! :)

I'm 16 years old and I currently have a job working with fast food, I get $12 an hour.
it's okay, but I'd like to look for another job, which is probably more appealing and pays more...

the thing is, because I'm 16, it's unlikely I'll find a job as I only was able to work with fast food because I started at age 15.

I don't really even know what type of places to apply!
idk but working in a shop seems kind of boring tbh

thanks! :)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Coralista

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 11:59:40 pm »

May I ask what kind of store is the interview for? There are businesses which have a lesser formal dress code (such as cotton on, factorie etc..) as well as businesses which have a much more formal dress code (such as Myer, David Jones etc..)
I can't speak for businesses that are not as formal as others, however I do have a few friends that are working in retail stores such as Valleygirl, sportsgirl etc. From what I recall, they mentioned that the interviews were quite laid back...
However from personal experience, businesses that a more on the formal side tend to adopt group interviews rather than individual one on one interviews. I currently work at Myer and the interview process itself was quite formal, there were more than one interviewer and the questions asked were pretty standard (tell us a little about yourself, why you would like to work for this company etc).
Aside from the usual questions, we were given situations and had to arrange them from the most important to the least, as well as having to pick products from a pile and try to sell it to the interviewers.
Since it was a group interview, I would recommend trying to acquaint yourself with the other interviewees (?? is that a word??) if you're in the same boat as you never know who could be watching and paying attention to how well you interact with others.

Good luck with your interview :)
2012-2014: VCE (baccalaureate)
2015-2017: Bachelor of Commerce @ The University of Melbourne

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 02:42:07 pm »

May I ask what kind of store is the interview for? There are businesses which have a lesser formal dress code (such as cotton on, factorie etc..) as well as businesses which have a much more formal dress code (such as Myer, David Jones etc..)
I can't speak for businesses that are not as formal as others, however I do have a few friends that are working in retail stores such as Valleygirl, sportsgirl etc. From what I recall, they mentioned that the interviews were quite laid back...
However from personal experience, businesses that a more on the formal side tend to adopt group interviews rather than individual one on one interviews. I currently work at Myer and the interview process itself was quite formal, there were more than one interviewer and the questions asked were pretty standard (tell us a little about yourself, why you would like to work for this company etc).
Aside from the usual questions, we were given situations and had to arrange them from the most important to the least, as well as having to pick products from a pile and try to sell it to the interviewers.
Since it was a group interview, I would recommend trying to acquaint yourself with the other interviewees (?? is that a word??) if you're in the same boat as you never know who could be watching and paying attention to how well you interact with others.

Good luck with your interview :)

Hey, thanks for the reply and the actual helpful tips !

This is for just jeans, and it's a individual interview. It's for a casual position if that helps.

I'm just wondering how many people they normally have interviewing you..? I'm prepared for questions about why I want to work there, why I'm the best person and why I want to work in retail. I'm really worried about having to sell a product tbh.

You mentioned that these types of stores are laid back ib interviews..what do you mean ?

Is there anything else I should be ready for and odd stuff they might throw at me ?

Thanks again ! And apologies for the late reply..I actually didn't realise this was to me :P

walkec

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 03:09:38 pm »
hi guys! :)

I'm 16 years old and I currently have a job working with fast food, I get $12 an hour.
it's okay, but I'd like to look for another job, which is probably more appealing and pays more...

thanks! :)

To put your pay into context, $12 an hour as a 16 year old is actually on the higher end of pay. When I was 16, my pay rate as a casual F&B attendant was $10.60 an hour Monday - Friday. Keep in mind that this was above the award and casuals get paid more than part time to cover not having sick leave, holiday leave etc.

I'd be quite surprised if you could find a higher paying job. If you want to leave to find something that better suits you, then go for it, but just don't necessarily expect that the pay will be much better (if at all).

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 04:53:52 pm »
To put your pay into context, $12 an hour as a 16 year old is actually on the higher end of pay. When I was 16, my pay rate as a casual F&B attendant was $10.60 an hour Monday - Friday. Keep in mind that this was above the award and casuals get paid more than part time to cover not having sick leave, holiday leave etc.

I'd be quite surprised if you could find a higher paying job. If you want to leave to find something that better suits you, then go for it, but just don't necessarily expect that the pay will be much better (if at all).

oh okay thank you anyway :)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams