Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:42:16 am

Author Topic: How to Write an Area of Study Essay  (Read 90057 times)

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: NGS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: How to Write an Area of Study Essay
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2016, 10:25:45 pm »
Mmm, tricky. Ok, I tend to think that the best way of approaching this is copying and pasting the rubric into here, with all creds to BOSTES of course.

Discovery can encompass the experience of discovering something for the first time or rediscovering
something that has been lost, forgotten or concealed. From what I know, I don't think this describes the situation because the colonisation didn't come with a lost, forgotten or concealed nature. Discoveries can be sudden and unexpected,
or they can emerge from a process of deliberate and careful planning Which one applies to Propsero's actions, do you think?evoked by curiosity, necessity or wonder. Discoveries can be fresh and intensely meaningful in ways that may be emotional, creative, intellectual, physical and spiritual. They can also be confronting and provocative By the sounds of it, this applies. The confronting or provocative nature seems to fit because usually colonisations aren't taken lightly.. They can lead us to new
worlds and values Does the moral ambiguity fit here?, stimulate new ideas, and enable us to speculate about future possibilities. Discoveries and discovering can offer new understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves and others Does anyone learn something about themselves or someone else through the colonisation?.
An individual’s discoveries and their process of discovering can vary according to personal, cultural,
historical and social contexts and values. The impact of these discoveries can be far-reaching and
transformative for the individual and for broader society. Discoveries may be questioned or challenged
when viewed from different perspectives and their worth may be reassessed over time This seems to be the most relevant to me, based on what I know. I'm sure the perspective on the colonisation would be different when looking at it through Propero's lens, as opposed to Caliban's lens.. The ramifications of particular discoveries may differ for individuals and their worlds.Again, this one seems relevant. The ramifications may be: loss of home, loss of identity, renewed perceptions, moral doubt, etc.
By exploring the concept of discovery, students can understand how texts have the potential to
affirm or challenge individuals’ or more widely-held assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human
experience and the world. Through composing and responding to a wide range of texts, students may
make discoveries about people, relationships, societies, places and events and generate new ideas.
By synthesising perspectives, students may deepen their understanding of the concept of discovery.
Students consider the ways composers may invite them to experience discovery through their texts
and explore how the process of discovering is represented using a variety of language modes, forms
and features.

What do you think? I tend to think there are at least three strong areas for development there. Let me know your thoughts!

i think your last point on the differing ramifications works best with the related text I've chosen. Thank you so much, this was really thoughtful and helpful.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2016, 10:48:15 am »
i think your last point on the differing ramifications works best with the related text I've chosen. Thank you so much, this was really thoughtful and helpful.

Perfect! If you're looking for some more inspiration for the Tempest, it might be worthwhile looking at our AOS essay marking thread to look at how other people have approached the Tempest + the rubric! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caitie145

• Trailblazer
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2016, 05:21:32 pm »
hey !

i was wondering with the AOS essay if we should have themes like revenge or love or if we should just stick with proving our thesis?

Thanks !
Pathways :)
Year 1: 2016
Advanced English: band 5
Extension English: E3
Ancient History: band 4

Year 2: 2017
Legal Studies
PDHPE
General Maths
Senior Science

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2016, 05:25:44 pm »
hey !

i was wondering with the AOS essay if we should have themes like revenge or love or if we should just stick with proving our thesis?

Thanks !
I'm certainly no elyse ;) but i would think that the purpose of the aos essay is to prove your thesis (which in turn proves the question. Remember you can agree or disagree with the statement)
If you put in themes like revenge or love that would be not only hard to do but give you very little, if any, positive recognition.

Just my view on things. ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2016, 05:38:53 pm »
hey !

Thanks !

As studybuddy has suggested, it may limit your scope in terms of discussing discovery. You could certainly talk about love being a theme that is accentuated by discovery, for example. Or revenge being a motive for discovery. But the aim of the essay is not to compare themes, but rather to dissect what discovery means and is, and you can do that by linking it directly to another theme. But discovery must be the most prevalent theme in that essay! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2016, 05:56:50 pm »
are there any sample answers and tips on how to answer the unseen texts for area of study?
Congrats on 100 posts!!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2016, 06:05:21 pm »
Congrats on 100 posts!!

Noone congratulated me on my 100th post  :'( :'( ;)
I think favouritism should be a bannable offence ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2016, 08:46:37 pm »
Noone congratulated me on my 100th post  :'( :'( ;)
I think favouritism should be a bannable offence ;D

Ahaha you got there before we could blink!!  ;D

ktleeeee

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2016, 07:25:10 pm »
Hi!
I just have a quick question. Our set text is the poetry of Robert Frost, and our teacher recommends writing about 2 poems in an essay, however she also says our set texts and related need to be 50% each. I usually do a paragraph on each poem and one on my related. Is this appropriate, as I find it difficult to match what my teacher wants?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »
Hi!
I just have a quick question. Our set text is the poetry of Robert Frost, and our teacher recommends writing about 2 poems in an essay, however she also says our set texts and related need to be 50% each. I usually do a paragraph on each poem and one on my related. Is this appropriate, as I find it difficult to match what my teacher wants?

Hey! I have a quick answer ;)

So your split right now is 66/33 in terms of Prescribed to ORT. This is good, but most markers would comment on a slight imbalance, unless your ORT paragraph was quite long and quite dense, which can throw structure off. It is certainly better to try and achieve a more direct ratio, but I know that is hard. What you have still works well ;D

To get the 50/50 split you are after, your options are:

- Write two paragraphs on your ORT
- Write an integrated response

Integrated responses construct paragraphs around ideas/themes, rather than texts. Then, your poems and ORT are all discussed in the same paragraph. It still leaves the chance for imbalance, and it is a tough thing to do, but usually the result is better in terms of Prescribed/ORT split  ;D

I can tell you a bit more about an integrated structure if you like, but to keep it simple, writing another paragraph on your ORT might be something to try? Something like Poem 1 - ORT - Poem 2 - ORT might work well for you ;D

ktleeeee

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2016, 08:50:00 pm »
Hey! I have a quick answer ;)

So your split right now is 66/33 in terms of Prescribed to ORT. This is good, but most markers would comment on a slight imbalance, unless your ORT paragraph was quite long and quite dense, which can throw structure off. It is certainly better to try and achieve a more direct ratio, but I know that is hard. What you have still works well ;D

To get the 50/50 split you are after, your options are:

- Write two paragraphs on your ORT
- Write an integrated response

Integrated responses construct paragraphs around ideas/themes, rather than texts. Then, your poems and ORT are all discussed in the same paragraph. It still leaves the chance for imbalance, and it is a tough thing to do, but usually the result is better in terms of Prescribed/ORT split  ;D

I can tell you a bit more about an integrated structure if you like, but to keep it simple, writing another paragraph on your ORT might be something to try? Something like Poem 1 - ORT - Poem 2 - ORT might work well for you ;D

Haha, thanks for the answer! ;D
In an integrated response, may I ask you to elaborate on the structure. It sounds like something that would work well with my ideas, as I currently write Poem 1, Poem 2, ORT, repeat, with each set running on the same line of ideas/themes. In each paragraph I'll liken each text to one another based on this one idea and explain the differences, so in the end an integrated response may be the way to go.

For now I'll try your simplified suggestion, but any help would be appreciated  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2016, 10:41:36 pm »
Haha, thanks for the answer! ;D
In an integrated response, may I ask you to elaborate on the structure. It sounds like something that would work well with my ideas, as I currently write Poem 1, Poem 2, ORT, repeat, with each set running on the same line of ideas/themes. In each paragraph I'll liken each text to one another based on this one idea and explain the differences, so in the end an integrated response may be the way to go.

For now I'll try your simplified suggestion, but any help would be appreciated  :)

Sure! So basically, you take that idea of writing your paragraphs on the same line of ideas/themes, and ditch the separate paragraphs. It all comes together. So, everything you want to say about the theme of relationships, for example, is in the one paragraph. In that paragraph, you have evidence/analysis of all your texts (for you, the 2 poems and the ORT). You have three of these paragraphs, each with a different idea that you want to talk about. So it might be, for speeches, Justice, Equality and Reconciliation. Those three themes (and a more sophisticated approach to them) form the basis for your three paragraphs. Your intro sets those themes up under a central umbrella, called your Thesis (EG - Speeches convey key aspects of humanity, or something), and then your conclusion ties it all together with a nice little bow ;D

An integrated paragraph normally looks like this:

1 Sentence Introducing the Theme/Concept (called a Motherhood Statement/Topic Sentence)
1 Sentence Linking the Idea to your Text(s)
?? Sentences of Analysis of how the Idea is Represented in ALL texts
1-2 Sentences Concluding

Repeat x3, add an intro and conclusion, bake with love, and you have an integrated response ;) that's a super quick run down, if you are interested you should give it a bit of a go and then post it here for some feedback! Just be sure you meet post requirements (click the link in my signature for essay marking policies ;)) let me know if you need anything clarified!

ktleeeee

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2016, 03:36:09 pm »
An integrated paragraph normally looks like this:

1 Sentence Introducing the Theme/Concept (called a Motherhood Statement/Topic Sentence)
1 Sentence Linking the Idea to your Text(s)
?? Sentences of Analysis of how the Idea is Represented in ALL texts
1-2 Sentences Concluding

Repeat x3, add an intro and conclusion, bake with love, and you have an integrated response ;) that's a super quick run down, if you are interested you should give it a bit of a go and then post it here for some feedback! Just be sure you meet post requirements (click the link in my signature for essay marking policies ;)) let me know if you need anything clarified!

WOW! Thanks for your help. The structure sounds simple enough, so I'll give it a crack.
I can't believe no one has ever taught me about integrated essays before - you're a legend!  :D

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2016, 05:17:52 pm »
+2
hi, I'm studying the tempest as my prescribed text for discovery. If i were to explore the idea of colonisation, how could i link that to the rubric and to discovery.
thanks so much

Hey sssssrr! I also am no Elyse, but I'm studying The Tempest as my set text and I think another interesting way to talk about colonialism in The Tempest is to look at the reaction of Stephano and Trinculo in their discovery of the island and Caliban! Although this isn't a planned colonial act, as such, it is a good commentary on how quickly people will assume roles of power (as they immediately plot to colonise the island for themselves) in the light of new discovery as well as how discovery can change people and their traditional roles - as Stephano and Trinculo are really only a butler and a jester at home!

Hope that makes sense! :)
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2016, 06:40:05 pm »
WOW! Thanks for your help. The structure sounds simple enough, so I'll give it a crack.
I can't believe no one has ever taught me about integrated essays before - you're a legend!  :D

Happy to help! I love integrated responses, they are my bread and butter ;) let me know how you go! ;D