Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:34:08 am

Author Topic: How to Write an Area of Study Essay  (Read 90067 times)

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: How to Write an Area of Study Essay
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »
Hey Atar notes,
I was wondering if I could get some help with a couple of specific techniques. Dialogue and intertextuality are both used widely in my related text (Me, Earl and the Dying Girl - Film) and I was wondering how they can contribute to discovery just in a more general sense as I don't feel my links for these are strong! Thanks! :)
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2016, 09:55:33 pm »
If your prescribed text for the AOS were a set of poems and your related texts were a set of poems, then how would you write the essay?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 12:24:26 am »
Hey Atar notes,
I was wondering if I could get some help with a couple of specific techniques. Dialogue and intertextuality are both used widely in my related text (Me, Earl and the Dying Girl - Film) and I was wondering how they can contribute to discovery just in a more general sense as I don't feel my links for these are strong! Thanks! :)

Hey there! I can lend a hand ;D

So speaking generally, dialogue is something that can have a variety of effects. Using it allows a closer link between the persona and what is being said, it gives the idea a bit more authority. The audience can "hear" the conversation taking place. It's a realism thing (in my opinion, of course there are other interpretations) ;D

Intertextuality is used so that a knowledgeable responder can associate the power of another text with ideas in the one they are reading. The ideas in the other text are automatically positioned with those being presented by the composer ;D so, for example, referencing Shakespeare's Julius Caesar accentuates themes of manipulation and political control. Referencing Harry Potter accentuates themes of love and friendship. So, intertextuality capitalises on the authority of other composers and their conceptual ideas ;D

Talking generally about techniques is a little tricky, but these might give you some ideas! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 12:28:41 am »
If your prescribed text for the AOS were a set of poems and your related texts were a set of poems, then how would you write the essay?

Hey conic! I suppose it depends on the question and how many poems you are studying, but you would either do a block response or an integrated response! Block responses have one poem per paragraph, integrated responses discuss all your poems at once under three ideas of your choosing ;D

Any more detail than that totally depends on the question, how many poems, and any time constraints involved might affect your choice too ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2016, 10:49:24 am »
Hey conic! I suppose it depends on the question and how many poems you are studying, but you would either do a block response or an integrated response! Block responses have one poem per paragraph, integrated responses discuss all your poems at once under three ideas of your choosing ;D

Any more detail than that totally depends on the question, how many poems, and any time constraints involved might affect your choice too ;D

Given that english is a very broad subject and that they can ask you anything, anytime I don't know whether or not having a poem as a related and a prescribed text be a great idea. Also I think it would be harder to compose an essay by doing so

If you were to do it though (in an integrated response format) what should the structure be?

e.g.

Poem A +related A

Poem B +related B

Poem C+related A

Would this seem alright?

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2016, 10:56:20 am »
+1
Thanks Jamon! That's really helpful!  :)
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2016, 01:32:37 pm »
Given that english is a very broad subject and that they can ask you anything, anytime I don't know whether or not having a poem as a related and a prescribed text be a great idea. Also I think it would be harder to compose an essay by doing so

If you were to do it though (in an integrated response format) what should the structure be?

e.g.

Poem A +related A

Poem B +related B

Poem C+related A

Would this seem alright?

That would still be a block response, just slightly blended, but it would work well! An integrated response would discuss everything together, every poem you want to talk about in every paragraph. Absolutely, all your prescribed poems would need to be in the paragraph for it to be effectively integrated, but of course that isn't mandatory ;D

All poetry could be a difficult road to go down, just in figuring out where you discuss what, but if it works conceptually/analytically better than your other choices then it is still the way to go. Your ability to answer questions won't be restricted by studying only poetry ;D

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2016, 01:46:17 pm »
Just wondering if I'm on the right track with a sentence like this in terms of integrating techniques with the concept:

"Shakespeare’s use of supernatural imagery in Miranda’s first encounter with Ferdinand shows the audience that Miranda has not fully grasped Ferdinand’s nature. “What is it, a spirit? I might call him a thing divine.” In this way it is clear that Miranda’s discovery of “The third man that e'er I saw, the first man that e’er I sighed for” is merely based on initial infatuation and wonder, rather than the true implications of a human relationship and thus her discovery although deeply meaningful, is incomplete."

Thank you!  :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:53:25 pm by bethjomay »
ATAR - 92.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:05 pm »
Just wondering if I'm on the right track with a sentence like this in terms of integrating techniques with the concept:

"Shakespeare’s use of supernatural imagery in Miranda’s first encounter with Ferdinand shows the audience that Miranda has not fully grasped Ferdinand’s nature. “What is it, a spirit? I might call him a thing divine.” In this way it is clear that Miranda’s discovery of “The third man that e'er I saw, the first man that e’er I sighed for” is merely based on initial infatuation and wonder, rather than the true implications of a human relationship and thus her discovery although deeply meaningful, is incomplete."

Thank you!  :)

This is great! However, the bit I bolded/put in red above is unnecessary textual retell. Remember, don't tell me things about the text and its plot or its characters! Purely conceptual statements are the best avenue, the important bit is the bit in green! However, your integration of quotes into your sentences is superb! Well done ;D

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2016, 05:13:25 pm »
Do you think I can use the same symbol as a technique in two different points?
E.g. Storm as a symbol for social upheaval in one paragraph, symbol for inner turmoil in another.
ATAR - 92.70

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:10 pm »
Do you think I can use the same symbol as a technique in two different points?
E.g. Storm as a symbol for social upheaval in one paragraph, symbol for inner turmoil in another.

Absolutely! If the storm symbol is used several times, you might also look at it as a recurring symbol (increased significance). But, even if it is just an isolated quote, you can use it for different meanings. Great unpacking of the quote!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2016, 05:28:51 pm »
Awesome! Thanks so much! :)
ATAR - 92.70

znaser

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:22 pm »
In the AOS essay, is it necessary to mention impact on responder? I feel compelled to do so because isn't that the composer's point. To make an impact on the responder and challenge their viewpoints and attitudes etc. But I'm not sure if this will actually improve your mark or not. Thanks  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2016, 01:04:12 pm »
In the AOS essay, is it necessary to mention impact on responder? I feel compelled to do so because isn't that the composer's point. To make an impact on the responder and challenge their viewpoints and attitudes etc. But I'm not sure if this will actually improve your mark or not. Thanks  ;D

Hey znaser! It is definitely necessary to discuss what the composer teaches the responder about the idea of Discovery, what new understanding they provide through techniques ;D it isn't an audience focused part of the course, but definitely still should be high on your priority list ;D

znaser

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2016, 03:58:44 pm »
Thanks Jamon!  ;D