Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:57:08 am

Author Topic: How to Get a Band 6 in HSC Biology  (Read 39875 times)  Share 

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: How to Get a Band 6 in HSC Biology
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 12:38:18 pm »
Thanks for the advice! I did notice that in bio, i would loose marks for things i didnt even know i needed. Like i knew the information, but didnt think it was necessary for that question.
It was cool of you to write this :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 12:40:57 pm »
+1
Hello, for my short response or long response, could we be able to write in dot point form? Not all of it, like if you don't know the full sentencing?
This is allowed in any science course. Just use it with caution.

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Liverpool Girls
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 06:14:43 pm »
This is allowed in any science course. Just use it with caution.

Alright, can you please explain what you meant by caution?? :)

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • School: Liverpool Girls
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 06:16:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice! I did notice that in bio, i would loose marks for things i didnt even know i needed. Like i knew the information, but didnt think it was necessary for that question.
It was cool of you to write this :)

Hey what did you mean by 'lose marks for things i didnt even know i needed'?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 06:18:34 pm »
Alright, can you please explain what you meant by caution?? :)

Basically, only use dot-points if you're listing out pieces of information. If you're explaining how something works, or analysing something, it is generally better to use full sentences. However, if you're running out of time, dot point away!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 01:41:25 pm »
can we use tables?

Acing

• Adventurer
  • School: Hogwarts
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 07:30:07 pm »
Should my notes be long or short and concise? Which one is more beneficial?

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 04:26:25 pm »
+2
Should my notes be long or short and concise? Which one is more beneficial?

For your FIRST set of notes they should be long with as much information as possible. This helps with learning the content

Your SECOND set of notes should be short and concise in order to help REMEMBER key points and information about your study

There is also a THIRD set of notes which consists of only the information you either have trouble remembering or haven't memorised yet.

The benefits of each notes vary on their uses. LONG notes are good for learning whilst SHORT notes are better for memorising and carrying around.

Long notes are better suited for weekly study as your finish dot points in the syllabus.

Short and Concise notes are better suited for daily memorisation during the exam period

MASTER Notes (only stuff you can't remember) are best used for a few days and right before an exam.

Hope this helps
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

Gregs

• Trailblazer
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 08:48:04 pm »
+1
can we use tables?

For my study notes I used a lot of tables for anything that you could possibly compare. In an exam I wouldn't recommend using a table to answer the question unless low on time as it's difficult to elaborate properly and demonstrate to the markers that you actually know what is going on. I found I had to use a table in my trials for chemistry as I was running low on time. It was a memorised table that I had in my head ready to go if a question on this specific topic popped up. It turned out the table I wrote out didn't answer the question at all and i lost 3 easy marks on a topic I knew. Just advice though, everyone is different and if you feel confident that you can answer what the question asks in a table then go ahead. All the best
ATAR: 91.45

Biology: 93
General maths: 90
PDHPE: 90
Chemistry:84
Standard English: 82

Diala

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 01:45:37 pm »
Hi!
Would you recommend drawing methods in exams for Biology? My fear is that I wont get the full marks even though some of my teachers have suggested that drawing can maximise your marks. I know I can mix it up with a bit of writing, but does that waste time in your opinion?

stephanieazzopardi

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 01:52:34 pm »
+1
Hi!
Would you recommend drawing methods in exams for Biology? My fear is that I wont get the full marks even though some of my teachers have suggested that drawing can maximise your marks. I know I can mix it up with a bit of writing, but does that waste time in your opinion?

Hi Diala,
I think I only drew a diagram once in my HSC exam because I believed that I could express what I wanted to say better in writing, so really you have to think about what works better for you.
I do not recommend drawing 'methods' in a HSC exam. A method should be a numbered list of all the steps you took to complete your experiment in my opinion, which is what is taught all throughout Years 7-12. The only thing you could do is add drawings to your method to better express the layout of your experiment.

Good luck! :)
ATAR: 95.70
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) @ University of Sydney

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 11:06:36 am »
+1
This was so helpful, thankyou !!

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »
My notes for each module are very very thorough, about 30 pages for each module...is that alright or too much?
the main reason theyre so long is cos im scared that i might leave something important out
so my question is typically how many pages should notes for each module be?
ATAR Goal 90

maddiewainwright

• HSC Lecturer
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2017, 04:06:59 pm »
My notes for each module are very very thorough, about 30 pages for each module...is that alright or too much?
the main reason theyre so long is cos im scared that i might leave something important out
so my question is typically how many pages should notes for each module be?

Hi Daniyahasan,
Having detailed notes is always a fantastic start, as long as you understand everything within them. From my experience, I didn't feel like I needed long notes for Biology, and it was more important to spend time doing practice papers. I would advice using your detailed notes to make more condensed study tools, such as palm cards or summary sheets/posters. Ultimately you won't end up using all the information in your notes, so practice papers are the best way to find out what is most important. I would recommend having a skim through the other notes on the site to give you some idea of what might be essential, and what you could condense your notes down to. Good luck! :)
Studying Bachelor Laws/Advanced Science (Molecular and Cell Biology) UNSW

HSC Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, French Extension, Visual Arts, English Extension 2

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 04:20:06 pm »
Hi Daniyahasan,
Having detailed notes is always a fantastic start, as long as you understand everything within them. From my experience, I didn't feel like I needed long notes for Biology, and it was more important to spend time doing practice papers. I would advice using your detailed notes to make more condensed study tools, such as palm cards or summary sheets/posters. Ultimately you won't end up using all the information in your notes, so practice papers are the best way to find out what is most important. I would recommend having a skim through the other notes on the site to give you some idea of what might be essential, and what you could condense your notes down to. Good luck! :)

yep ill do that ! thank you
ATAR Goal 90