Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:49:09 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 2 Question Thread  (Read 66609 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: English Extension 2 Question Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2017, 06:30:10 pm »
+1
Thank You! She is the only Ext 2 teacher (As we only have 2 students in the class. But nonetheless I will try my absolute best in the course and be very polite and extra nice.

My only current problem is that as of now, I have no-one to send my practice exam questions and comprehension work to. Would it be overstepping to give this work to a different English teacher within the school for marking?

I don't think so. It's always a good idea to get plenty of opinions on your work instead of the same person all the time anyway - new eyes pick up new things! So I'd think it's entirely appropriate to ask another teacher for feedback :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:52 pm »
Hey,

Just started EE2, and I'm looking into fictocriticism, but was wondering if AN had any exemplar major works or any readings that were advised for critical? I've read A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift and was wondering if there were any other essays that were good to discuss

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2017, 04:55:55 pm »
+1
Hey justwannawish!

Ella (paigek) is working on some advice for critical responses at the moment. Stay tuned and I'll share it here when it's ready :)

(Anyone else - feel free to jump in during the interim!)

bundahboy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2017, 12:02:38 am »
Hey,

Just started EE2, and I'm looking into fictocriticism, but was wondering if AN had any exemplar major works or any readings that were advised for critical? I've read A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift and was wondering if there were any other essays that were good to discuss

I know of at least 3 people from my school who have done ficto-criticals in the past decade or so, all of whom have somehow gotten 50/50 at the marking centre. Two of these works fixated on Roland Barthes' essay The Death of the Author, which explores the concept of originality. Not sure if you want to head in the direction of postmodernism, but it may be worth a look (especially given E2 markers appear to love anything even tangentially related to po-mo)
2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »
+1
Hey,

Hi justwannaish,

I'm doing a critical response for my extension 2 project and I haven't chosen what form my critical response will take. I've never heard of ficto-criticism before, is it possible if you could give me some sort of summary on as to what it is please?

Thank you~
From theyam

aalyssa

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »
Hey everyone, does anyone know what I could use for researching into form for scripts besides annotating plays?
Thanks in advance!  :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:37 am »
Hey everyone, does anyone know what I could use for researching into form for scripts besides annotating plays?
Thanks in advance!  :)

Perhaps you could find a book that is actually a "how to" for script writing? It might be a fairly basic resource, but sometimes raking it back to essentials and basics can really help to inspire your process. Also, you could look at resources about words, and economy of words. It doesn't have to be script specific - but the way you can manipulate words is a heavy part of script writing!

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:17 pm »
+1

Hi justwannaish,

I'm doing a critical response for my extension 2 project and I haven't chosen what form my critical response will take. I've never heard of ficto-criticism before, is it possible if you could give me some sort of summary on as to what it is please?

Thank you~
From theyam

Hey,
Fictocriticism is an experiment form that designed to challenge the boundaries of form. Essentially, it's an essay from a persona's voice- as the composer, you are able to argue your thesis in the point of view of a composer or character. The biggest challenge is balancing the analytical and creative sides to create a sustained argument imo and also creating an authentic voice. Lmk if you have any specific questions to narrow your concerns

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2017, 08:26:37 pm »
To anyone who hasn't done their Viva Voce:

Tip: Even if your teacher yawns, don't let that get to you at any time! Believe in your concept and just keep going!

From theyam~

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2017, 07:45:02 am »
To anyone who hasn't done their Viva Voce:

Tip: Even if your teacher yawns, don't let that get to you at any time! Believe in your concept and just keep going!

From theyam~

How did your viva voce go? :)

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2017, 09:44:49 pm »
How did your viva voce go? :)

Much better than I expected!! I got an A~

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2017, 12:14:04 pm »
Much better than I expected!! I got an A~

Woohooo! What a brilliant start to the E2 course!

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:11 pm »
That sounds wonderful! Form is a big consideration with E2 and you've thought of a brilliant, unique idea. Execution would take a lot of thinking but it honestly excites me. Great idea :)

Hello, I just recently had my Viva voce. I was very excited about doing my series of short stories, but some feedback I got from the viva voce read " Once suggestion that came from the panel was that you have one story. They just though it would flow better as you have a twist at the end of a story, it would be more effective. It you do one story, think about the idea of a split narrative, one in first person, and one In third person"

Do you agree that It is more effective to do 1 narritvie when dealing with an allegory?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2017, 09:20:51 am »
+1
Hello, I just recently had my Viva voce. I was very excited about doing my series of short stories, but some feedback I got from the viva voce read " Once suggestion that came from the panel was that you have one story. They just though it would flow better as you have a twist at the end of a story, it would be more effective. It you do one story, think about the idea of a split narrative, one in first person, and one In third person"

Do you agree that It is more effective to do 1 narritvie when dealing with an allegory?

It really depends. My personal preference is to suggest one story with dual narrators because I'm just thinking from my own point of view with writing it that I think it would be easier to bring together cohesion. But this is just me thinking logistically about my own faults and strengths as a writer, which I suggest you do too.

I think you mightn't even know until you start writing. Before you get to 1000 words I'm sure you'll get a better idea of what flows, and some other unforeseen difficulties might even impact the way you decide how to go about this. Getting to 1000 words and changing your approach isn't wasted words or time, either. You can use a lot of those sentences, ideas, or phrasings in your second draft.

How are you feeling about it?

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2017, 09:55:19 pm »
Hi! I was just wondering what the best way to investigate into form is. I'm doing a short story but don't know what materials to start with. I have a concept in mind for my story but I don't know how to work on it from there. Do you have any advice/ reading material you could suggest? Thank you so much! XOXO
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.