Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:45:45 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 2 Question Thread  (Read 66590 times)  Share 

Kategallagher.3

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 2 Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 09:55:07 am »
Hey! I have a quick question... which i need answered asap!!!!! I have my viva voce assessment for extension 2 and one of the questions is: "1.   What is the intended form of your major work and discuss thus far what you have learnt about it? To answer this, select and explain one specific resource/source in your journal that has been particularly valuable to you. How do you think this will impact your work?"

I am just wondering how I would go about answering this, my resource is Tim Winton's Breath (not sure if this helps at all). I am stuck on the whole idea of form and what parts of the novel i would pick at to answer this question, eg. is it the characters? the way he establishes setting?

Hope you can help!!  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 07:12:29 pm »
Hey! I have a quick question... which i need answered asap!!!!! I have my viva voce assessment for extension 2 and one of the questions is: "1.   What is the intended form of your major work and discuss thus far what you have learnt about it? To answer this, select and explain one specific resource/source in your journal that has been particularly valuable to you. How do you think this will impact your work?"

I am just wondering how I would go about answering this, my resource is Tim Winton's Breath (not sure if this helps at all). I am stuck on the whole idea of form and what parts of the novel i would pick at to answer this question, eg. is it the characters? the way he establishes setting?

Hope you can help!!  ;D

Hey Kate! Only you can answer this question because I'm not sure what parts of the novel have inspired your own work. I can prompt you of course, and hopefully this helps! For me, I wrote a short story and one of the resources that assisted me was John Marsden's Everything I Know About Writing, where he talks about the circular structure of a story as showing progress (or lack of) and being very satisfying for a reader. I adapted this form into my own work because I wanted to show the little, yet great, progress of my protagonist from the start to the finish. So this is a brief example of how you could be answering the question (except I linked it more strongly to my concept as well).

Some ideas about what you could gain from the other texts to adapt into your own:
-The way the characters are a vehicle for the plot to develop, rather than just being accessories to the plot.
-The third person limited omniscient narrator
-The order of the plot: establishment of setting, conflict, resolution? Or is it more, conflict, setting, resolution?
-Is it the fluctuation in tone of the piece?

Whatever you do, link it to your concepts of the piece to ground your work. Your aim is to say: This is what I admired in blahblah's piece, I wish to take on this aspect of the form in my own work, and I think that will work well when I link it to the concept of...

Hopefully this gives you a hand :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »
Hello! This thread is super awesome. I'm doing a series of speeches for my Ext 2 MW.

I was just wondering what is it exactly in an MW that creates a difference between an E3 and an E4 band? It would be great to hear some tips! Thank you  :)
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

bholenath125

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Girraween High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 11:38:42 pm »
To: Elyse

Hi Elyse

Please find attached my 4u MW. I would love your feedback on it. All the highlighted sections are medical interactions that I need to make sure are authentic enough.

Kind Regards,
Adi

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 03:20:19 am »
Hello! This thread is super awesome. I'm doing a series of speeches for my Ext 2 MW.

I was just wondering what is it exactly in an MW that creates a difference between an E3 and an E4 band? It would be great to hear some tips! Thank you  :)

Hey diesxel! I'm sorry that I somehow skipped over your question. Have a look at this marking criteria.

The main differences between the bands is the fine-tooth combing. The best major works will have a consistency of tense, punctuation, a coherency of structure and plot, etc. Between E3 and E4, the main difference is the adverb. So, skilfully exploring a topic or just exploring it. Also, a HIGHLY unique plot, or a unique plot. To get to an E3, you have to do some serious editing to make sure your work is ticking all of those main boxes. The difference between an E3 and an E4 is different, it's so much about adjusting the structure to reflect the concept, the perfect shaping of meaning, and an overall uniqueness that separates it from the rest. So, the "easiest" climb is from E2 to E3, by perfecting all the grammar and the basics of it all. Making sure it is COHERENT. Then moving into E4 is more difficult, because it usually means shuffling things around at the core of the work, rather than just fluffing up the outsides of it.

From the major work's conception, always be considering originality and meaning. With these in mind (and they may change throughout the process), you are always in line for an E4. It's then just about executing those great thoughts and drive! :)

This is a little article I wrote that might help you out to keep you on track :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 05:30:50 pm »
Hi!
My viva voce is coming up and I'm a little nervous haha
The first question will ask about the concept we are exploring in our MW.
Since that's the only question we know we will get for sure, I'm guessing its a pretty important one :)
In the notes I'm preparing, I'm including things like purpose, audience, themes and a brief description of what I'm doing.
What else would I include? Should I include a brief or extensive discussion of form?
Thanks!
p.s I think I sent Elyse a private message about a week ago, to which I've gotten no reply...should I send it again?
:)

bholenath125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »
To Elyse

Im so sorry, I just noticed that i attached the wrong draft. Im really sorry.

Im so so so so sorry.

I clicked on the wrong one.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 06:25:55 am »
+2
Hi!
My viva voce is coming up and I'm a little nervous haha
The first question will ask about the concept we are exploring in our MW.
Since that's the only question we know we will get for sure, I'm guessing its a pretty important one :)
In the notes I'm preparing, I'm including things like purpose, audience, themes and a brief description of what I'm doing.
What else would I include? Should I include a brief or extensive discussion of form?
Thanks!
p.s I think I sent Elyse a private message about a week ago, to which I've gotten no reply...should I send it again?
:)

Hello! I apologise for not replying to your PM earlier...I had missed a bunch of personal messages, eeep! But I should be back on track now. I've messaged you back in regards to your PM.

As for the viva voce! Your checklist sounds great, and definitely look into how you can create a direct link between all of those things and concept. Even more, form. Students overlook form in their own research and also in their viva voces. How does your research into form reflect the concept you aim to support?

For me, my major work was in a circular structure, and that was deliberately done to support the concept of the little yet vast change that can occur within someone, even if outwardly it looks the same. So that's an example of form and concept relating.

Typically, your marker will prompt you enough to talk about the different aspects. I think it's probably best to stick to what they ask, but linking it to another aspect of the work if it will richen your discussion. So, if you're asked about your research into form, spend some time talking about the organic research, the deliberate research, and then only when you've given that enough time, talk about how the form you've chosen to take will reflect the concept.

If your marker starts by asking you about concept, you've got a big discussion ahead. So start with the origins of your concept, and talk about how it has developed and no doubt will continue to develop.

So my advice is, take on what the marker says and be sure to directly answer that, but don't be afraid to round off what you're saying in a more wholesome manner by connecting it to other aspects of your work. But be succinct, of course :)

Hopefully this gives you a hand! :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 07:33:19 am »
Hi!
When do you recommend getting a start on the reflection statement? I want to start later when I'm absolutely sure of what i'm going to do and well into the creative process. My teacher's emphasising on starting now. I have ideas for it, but want to start a little later. Is this a good idea?

best wishes,
Anna

PS Elyse, I sent you a PM

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 07:14:57 pm »
+2
Hi!
When do you recommend getting a start on the reflection statement? I want to start later when I'm absolutely sure of what i'm going to do and well into the creative process. My teacher's emphasising on starting now. I have ideas for it, but want to start a little later. Is this a good idea?

best wishes,
Anna

PS Elyse, I sent you a PM

Hey Anna,

I didn't start my reflection statement this early at all. We had an assessment called a report, which is basically a mini reflection statement. I only started my reflection statement after that (probably in the next term? Maybe in the upcoming holidays?) because the feedback on the report is what I used to start making my reflection statement officially. I mean, brainstorming ideas is important now but most people aren't half way through their major work yet, so I can't see the benefit in starting officially writing the reflection statement when you only have half a work to reflect on. Have you got the report assessment coming up?

I will get to your PM shortly - just going to Uni now and then I'll be back online :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 06:50:51 am »
To: Elyse

Hi Elyse

Please find attached my 4u MW. I would love your feedback on it. All the highlighted sections are medical interactions that I need to make sure are authentic enough.

Kind Regards,
Adi

Hi Adi,

I'm commenting in little chunks here rather than copying and pasting the entire thing over when there's only certain things I wish to comment on.

Firstly, the first highlighted section. I don't imagine that in the state of flurry that Guy is in, a receptionist would insist on, "Mr...." to get him to say his surname. I haven't researched this like you might have, but it just doesn't seem to me to be something a receptionist would say in this situation. Also, when he reveals he is the guardian, she instantly knows the patient's whereabouts. I imagine that she'd look down at her computer, or her sheet, or something like that, to get the information. This does break up the dialogue from being back and fourth, but I think it works well.

My overall thoughts on the first part: it's really written crisply. I think you've taken a lot of consideration about the way you write and haven't overdone it at all, it's never verbose, and the crisp writing style suits the crisp scene of a hospital. Really well written!

Suggestions for part two:

-This is NOT something I advise if you think in any way you'd be worse off having listened to it, or read it, but I think if you scrounge around the internet you'd be able to find people's experiences of suicide hotlines and this might add to the authenticity of it all. I really have never considered how they might answer the phone, so I'm not sure at all about how close you are to authenticity, but reading widely online (forums like reddit, perhaps?) might give you some good ideas. But, if you think that this will compromise your own health in any way: do not.

By the time I get to page 12, I'm a little confused. Simply because I read the prologue carefully, and the jolting is confusing me. I'm just not sure that moving between the stages so frequently is serving your purpose well, I think that with less flicks between, it would be easier to follow and still very meaningful. I start to lose my empathy for both Guy and Rami in their respective situations because I'm just trying to keep up. In saying this, there have been some very good passages that describe the relationship between Rami and Guy in again, a very crisp way. Your writing style is a pleasure to read. I also enjoy that, despite the flicking between them, there is the medical title for each section, often filled with a non-medical situation. That keeps it in my mind that something sinister is playing out.

I love the inner conversation Guy has with himself, especially because it takes place in a prom. That's a really special scene.

The last thing I will comment on is the yellow part at the end. I see why the nurse needed to speak so urgently, but I also wonder if this could have waited until Rami officially died? I don't know if it's a reality that a nurse would speak about donating organs when Rami lives for another 40 minutes? Maybe I'm just feeling empathic for Guy, it's a bit of a raw deal. It just seems like a lot is thrown at Guy at once, which questions the actuality of the situation, but it's also a lot for me as a reader, I couldn't grasp the entire situation because I was so quickly moving through the dialogue, I think I have more emotions to offer than what was prompted of me.

In all, this is a really special piece. The complexity of plot and concept is great, and I think you use the subheadings well. I still think I was a bit confused earlier in the story, flicking between stages. I like Rami's attitude and sass, I think she's a great character. Which makes her death more impactful. I do think, also, that I want to know more about the accident. Even if it's just that she did a gymnastics flip wrong in PE, or something like that, because a fall just leaves me thinking "I'm going to find out the real cause soon" and then I don't?

You evoked emotion in me as a reader, which is always important. And, it's a credit to you as an author! Hopefully my thoughts can help you out a bit, even though they shouldn't be taken all on board as gospel words, because I'm just one of the many readers of your work over the process of E2. Good luck!

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 06:59:54 am »
Hey Anna,

I didn't start my reflection statement this early at all. We had an assessment called a report, which is basically a mini reflection statement. I only started my reflection statement after that (probably in the next term? Maybe in the upcoming holidays?) because the feedback on the report is what I used to start making my reflection statement officially. I mean, brainstorming ideas is important now but most people aren't half way through their major work yet, so I can't see the benefit in starting officially writing the reflection statement when you only have half a work to reflect on. Have you got the report assessment coming up?

I will get to your PM shortly - just going to Uni now and then I'll be back online :)

thanks Elyse!
Have you read my PM (so so so sorry to push)
my viva voce is tomorrow and I'm really nervous
any general tips?
thank you!!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 07:06:26 am »

thanks Elyse!
Have you read my PM (so so so sorry to push)
my viva voce is tomorrow and I'm really nervous
any general tips?
thank you!!!

Just responded, you'll do magnificently! I know it. :)

bholenath125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2017, 06:13:44 pm »
Hi Elyse,

As you've already read my story. Would you be able to provide me with some tips as to how to create a better atmosphere of seattle in My story. Also, how do i improve the characterisation of Guy at the beginning.??

Thanks,
Adi

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »
Hi Elyse,

As you've already read my story. Would you be able to provide me with some tips as to how to create a better atmosphere of seattle in My story. Also, how do i improve the characterisation of Guy at the beginning.??

Thanks,
Adi

Hey Adi, where are you hoping to improve the atmosphere of Seattle in your story? To me, it being in Seattle isn't of great significance, I only considered it at the start when the hospital was identified. Are you hoping to tie in a cultural link or just to better set the scene? And where do you imagine this? And what are your hopes for improving Guy's characterisation? Are you looking to give him some physical details or are you trying to change the way he's perceived based on the way I perceived him?