Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:12:19 am

Author Topic: Creative Writing: Breaking down the AOS rubric!  (Read 41248 times)

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: NGS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Creative Writing: Breaking down the AOS rubric!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 08:54:09 pm »
Typically a narrative (short story, speech, poem, whatever) has a setting, complication, and resolution (not necessarily in that order). However, if you focus on a moment in time, there isn't always a complication. Or, if your focus is reflective, there's isn't always a complication. My question would be: how are you engaging the marker in that short time? If the discovery is there, you've ticked that box! Just got to be engaging to tick another criteria :)

i see your point, thanks!

imtrying

• Trendsetter
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 04:10:53 pm »
Hey:) Just wondering if anyone knows where to find some discovery creative writing sample questions? They seem to be a little trickier to find than essay questions :-\
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

alyssastama

• Adventurer
  • School: Brigidine
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »
Hey:) Just wondering if anyone knows where to find some discovery creative writing sample questions? They seem to be a little trickier to find than essay questions :-\

there are a few online! if you just google "Discovery Practice Papers" there are plenty that come up!

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 06:39:24 pm »

You could go on google images and use that stimulus as part of the practice exam or you could search up some non-discovery related quotes as you want to adapt your creative to something unique

Hopes that helps

imtrying

• Trendsetter
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2016, 09:23:59 pm »
Thanks guys :)
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2016, 12:08:34 pm »
Hi!

How many paragraphs/words should be dedicated to describing the impact of the discovery in the creative?

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2016, 12:47:57 pm »
+2
Hi!

How many paragraphs/words should be dedicated to describing the impact of the discovery in the creative?

Hey kb123, do you mind elaborating on this a tad for me, maybe give me an example of what you mean by "describing the impact of the discovery". Your whole creative piece should technically be centred around discovery and its impacts.  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 06:26:27 pm »
On the topic of creatives..
Who is doing (or planning to do) a narrative/short story for their creative?
And who is doing something different? (Diary/journal entry, letters, blog, speech etc)

And when the markers, well.. mark, do they go "my 16th short story in a row" and "wow this is different" or do they have to treat them equally? Because I know it can be a bore reading short story after short story.. Will they pay more attention to the other creatives without even realising and hence give better marks to them?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2016, 08:29:18 pm »
And when the markers, well.. mark, do they go "my 16th short story in a row" and "wow this is different" or do they have to treat them equally? Because I know it can be a bore reading short story after short story.. Will they pay more attention to the other creatives without even realising and hence give better marks to them?

Cool question! So officially I think you know the answer: Of course they must treat them equally.

Subconsciously it's likely more complex than that though. Like, if a marker sees something different that will definitely break them from their typical marking "pattern", at least in my opinion. Doing something different can be a good differentiator, but it is secondary to effective writing technique and concepts.

So essentially, while you could argue an effect, don't stress about it! Do whatever feels right to you ;D

I always did short stories

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »
Cool question! So officially I think you know the answer: Of course they must treat them equally.

Subconsciously it's likely more complex than that though. Like, if a marker sees something different that will definitely break them from their typical marking "pattern", at least in my opinion. Doing something different can be a good differentiator, but it is secondary to effective writing technique and concepts.

So essentially, while you could argue an effect, don't stress about it! Do whatever feels right to you ;D

I always did short stories

I dont really have that much of a choice lol I have a creative 'memorised' (concepts and key points) that happens to be a short story but I was just generally curious.. Hopefully mine will stand out from the rest (for better, and not for worse ;D)

Thanks

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »
I dont really have that much of a choice lol I have a creative 'memorised' (concepts and key points) that happens to be a short story but I was just generally curious.. Hopefully mine will stand out from the rest (for better, and not for worse ;D)

Thanks

Given my own experience marking creatives online here - I can say that I've never thought "uhh, another short story again." The variation in tone, style, content and emotion in short stories is enough to vary them in a way that they may as well not even be the same text type! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 03:33:06 pm »
Hey kb123, do you mind elaborating on this a tad for me, maybe give me an example of what you mean by "describing the impact of the discovery". Your whole creative piece should technically be centred around discovery and its impacts.  :)

Hi-
Since I've read that other people have lost marks for not describing the IMPACT the discovery had on the person enough.
Like, say the main character discovers something about human nature closer to the end of the story after going through the conflict. Do we have to dedicate a lot of words to describing how that sort of discovery impacts the character? Or can we briefly describe it in, say, a few sentences?

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2016, 04:38:44 pm »
Hi-
Since I've read that other people have lost marks for not describing the IMPACT the discovery had on the person enough.
Like, say the main character discovers something about human nature closer to the end of the story after going through the conflict. Do we have to dedicate a lot of words to describing how that sort of discovery impacts the character? Or can we briefly describe it in, say, a few sentences?

If its important in finishing off your story, then its totally worth talking about, even if it is briefly in a few sentences. And of course if the question was about the 'impacts of discovery' then you'd want to flesh that out more and make it obvious.  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 10:53:35 am »
If its important in finishing off your story, then its totally worth talking about, even if it is briefly in a few sentences. And of course if the question was about the 'impacts of discovery' then you'd want to flesh that out more and make it obvious.  :)

Ok thanks so much!

Priscy123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2016, 03:40:37 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for breaking the rubric down! I have a creative exam coming up so this has really helped me understand what the rubric is asking for.