Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:22 pm

Author Topic: Choosing the right related text!  (Read 70449 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Choosing the right ORT!
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2016, 09:51:57 pm »
I'm doing my hsc next year  :D

Oh cool! Sorry just in Year 12 English mode ;) then that short story I mentioned is definitely worth a look! An extremely effective ORT ;D

asd987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2016, 11:17:09 pm »
Is Distant Lands available online - i can't seem to find it, or will i have to purchase it from somewhere? 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2016, 11:23:02 pm »
Is Distant Lands available online - i can't seem to find it, or will i have to purchase it from somewhere?

I'll ask Elyse to get back to you on that, I don't think it's available online, should be at your local library though!! Let me get Elyse to check in tomorrow though ;D

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2016, 03:28:38 pm »
Hi!

I was wondering if the related text is better to be of a completely different text type (ie. book vs film, or book vs poem)? For example, would the "Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Gueavara (a non-fiction, series of diary entries) classify as being a different text type to "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain (a fiction novel) ??

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2016, 04:01:02 pm »
Hi!

I was wondering if the related text is better to be of a completely different text type (ie. book vs film, or book vs poem)? For example, would the "Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Gueavara (a non-fiction, series of diary entries) classify as being a different text type to "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain (a fiction novel) ??

Hey! It isn't totally necessary no; but it does give you a bit more variety in your techniques and analysis. Like, doing a film and novel means you can discuss both literary and filmic techniques, for example :) don't stress as much about this as just finding something that you like and that is conceptually rich! But yeah, I'd say those are different text types :)

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2016, 04:09:45 pm »
Hey! It isn't totally necessary no; but it does give you a bit more variety in your techniques and analysis. Like, doing a film and novel means you can discuss both literary and filmic techniques, for example :) don't stress as much about this as just finding something that you like and that is conceptually rich! But yeah, I'd say those are different text types :)

Ok cool! I'm thinking about having Huckleberry as a related because it has that literary merit that all you guys are after, and it links well to Motorcycle Diaries, in my opinion at least, while at the same time having interesting differences :) What do you think of the combo?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »
Ok cool! I'm thinking about having Huckleberry as a related because it has that literary merit that all you guys are after, and it links well to Motorcycle Diaries, in my opinion at least, while at the same time having interesting differences :) What do you think of the combo?

Hmm, I didn't study Motorcycle Diaries, though Huckleberry Finn I know makes a fantastic ORT. Anyone have any insights on relation to this Prescribed Text? :)

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2016, 08:13:27 pm »
For english advanced, would of mice and men be a good text? Because i think its for year 10.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2016, 08:17:25 pm »
For english advanced, would of mice and men be a good text? Because i think its for year 10.
Hey! I was told by my teacher to avoid it for that reason, same with Animal Farm. However, I'm sure that if you did it, and you did it really well, it's not going to negatively affect you that much, but yes, it is something to keep in mind.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

SSSS

• Forum Regular
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2016, 08:20:49 pm »
The thing is The Tempest is full on, so I have amazing notes on of mice and men because of a previous teacher i had. Yet, to be safe i was thinking of doing emily dickinsons poetry.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2016, 08:26:11 pm »
The thing is The Tempest is full on, so I have amazing notes on of mice and men because of a previous teacher i had. Yet, to be safe i was thinking of doing emily dickinsons poetry.
I did the Tempest! If you want related texts for that, I would highly recommend An Idiot Abroad and The Perks of Being a Wallflower (the novel) as related texts. Neither of them are too full on, and they work really well :) They may not seem to "academic-y" upon first glance, but if you work with them well they can really stand out :) If you're considering it, I have notes on them that I am more than happy to share with you :) (I'll post them on the notes page at some point haha)

I don't know much about emily dickinson's poetry, but I'm sure that'd work fab as well :) A lot of my friends did poetry as related texts and said there was a lot that they could go on :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

SSSS

• Forum Regular
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2016, 08:34:32 pm »
+1
Really?! I can't believe I can use perks of being a wallflower. Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated!  :) And yes, can I please view your notes? I was stressing so much about my related and the tempest.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2016, 08:49:45 pm »
+1
I did the Tempest! If you want related texts for that, I would highly recommend An Idiot Abroad and The Perks of Being a Wallflower (the novel) as related texts. Neither of them are too full on, and they work really well :) They may not seem to "academic-y" upon first glance, but if you work with them well they can really stand out :) If you're considering it, I have notes on them that I am more than happy to share with you :) (I'll post them on the notes page at some point haha)

I don't know much about emily dickinson's poetry, but I'm sure that'd work fab as well :) A lot of my friends did poetry as related texts and said there was a lot that they could go on :)

You're an absolute legend sudodds! ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2016, 09:01:20 pm »
+1
Really?! I can't believe I can use perks of being a wallflower. Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated!  :) And yes, can I please view your notes? I was stressing so much about my related and the tempest.
Perks was probably my strongest one! Such an underrated text, fits so well for so many different topics, and no worries! Happy to help :) Good luck xx
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:04:49 pm by sudodds »

SSSS

• Forum Regular
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2016, 09:12:36 pm »
+1
Thank you so much!!!!  ;D