Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:10 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207527 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 11:12:59 pm »
do you know any good related text for distinctly visual mod A (henry lawson's short stories) i prefer anything but film

Hey Katherine! I can't speak from experience, neither myself or any of the mods did this module, but there are a few really common ORT's for Distinctively Visual that Elyse and I have seen a lot of people use. Unfortunately, most of them are films:

- The Pianist (film)
- Paradise Road (film)
- Scenic Drive by R Cobb (cartoon)
- Bowling for Columbine - Michael Moore (film)

What sort of themes are you wanting to discuss with regard Lawson's work? I might be able to suggest a short story or a novel that would suit what you want to discuss  ;D

joshbroyda1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Reddam
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 03:18:00 pm »
Does anyone have an essay on the Curious Incident of the dog in the nighttime? Need something to get my juices flowing!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:26 pm »
Does anyone have an essay on the Curious Incident of the dog in the nighttime? Need something to get my juices flowing!

Welcome to the forums!! Hopefully someone can help you out  ;D ;D

macemarija

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Good Samaritan
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »
Hi,
I have an enjoy assignment due this tuesday but I'm not sure what to include in the poster and what to do, also whether to include quotes in these two questions and what kind. I know its late, but I have been doing other assignments due next week and just though of asking now :D I can also include the criteria if you would like.
Thanks!
Part 1: Poster Advertisement (1 A3 sheet)

“I do not have the power to build a memorial. So I wrote a play instead.” - Misto

Using the quote above as your focus, you are to create a poster that advertises a new 2016 production of The Shoe Horn Sonata for HSC students studying the play.

Your poster should use visual and language techniques in order to emphasise the purpose and power of the play. You may use quotes from the text and images sourced from the Internet, however, you should not use design elements or images from previous productions.

Part 2: Reflection (600 words)
You are to compose a reflection in which you:
1. Explain the purpose and power of the Distinctively Visual elements of Misto’s play.
2. Evaluate the effectiveness of your poster’s visual and language techniques in advertising the production of the play.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 08:58:37 pm »
+1
Hi,
I have an enjoy assignment due this tuesday but I'm not sure what to include in the poster and what to do, also whether to include quotes in these two questions and what kind. I know its late, but I have been doing other assignments due next week and just though of asking now :D I can also include the criteria if you would like.
Thanks!
Part 1: Poster Advertisement (1 A3 sheet)

“I do not have the power to build a memorial. So I wrote a play instead.” - Misto

Using the quote above as your focus, you are to create a poster that advertises a new 2016 production of The Shoe Horn Sonata for HSC students studying the play.

Your poster should use visual and language techniques in order to emphasise the purpose and power of the play. You may use quotes from the text and images sourced from the Internet, however, you should not use design elements or images from previous productions.

Part 2: Reflection (600 words)
You are to compose a reflection in which you:
1. Explain the purpose and power of the Distinctively Visual elements of Misto’s play.
2. Evaluate the effectiveness of your poster’s visual and language techniques in advertising the production of the play.

Hey there macemarija! Welcome to the forums!!  ;D this actually looks really similar to an assignment I did in my preliminary year, happy to give a bit of a hand!

Okay, my first tip would be to do Part 2 first! It will help you lay out your understanding so you can represent it on the poster.

So Part 2(a) is the biggest part of this whole assignment. It wants you to explain what you feel is the purpose of your text, why was it composed? What message is trying to be conveyed? What themes are being explored? You are to explain your interpretation, and more importantly, explain how these themes are conveyed in a way which is distinctively visual. Basically, distinctively visual is best summarised from the syllabus:

In their responding and composing students explore the ways the images we see and/or visualise in texts are created.

Basically, how does the composer create images for the audience and how do they convey meaning to us an audience. And, yes, you should use quotes in this section. Treat it like a mini essay.

Once you have this set in your head, you need to figure out HOW you can show the meaning you have discussed above in a visual poster. For my assignment, I needed to show how loving relationships can actually be damaging to the individual, as they often prove restrictive (this is the meaning I got from my text). To show this, I actually (true story) took a photo of my mum handcuffed to the sink. Added fancy filters. Framed the shot with good vectors, high angle shot, etc. So I crafted the meaning that way. My girlfriend got a better score, she took images and quotes and stitched them together (using visual and language techniques) to create her image. So you can do all sorts of stuff, but you MUST use techniques. And as the assignment says, you can use quotes if you wish.

Then, taking the techniques you used for the poster, address Part 2(b). Basically, this is just explaining the techniques you used, no textual references required here in my opinion  ;D

So yep, that is how I would approach it! I hope these tips might help get you started, feel free to ask any follow up questions!!  ;D

macemarija

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Good Samaritan
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 09:02:41 am »
Hi!
Than you for that great answer, I appreciate it.  :) I have still got a few questions, what kind of quotes would I use for part 2 (a) and what kind of images and quotes could I use for my text. How would I spread it out on the A3 paper and  using the quote that they have given us, would that need to be included in the poster?
Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:27 pm »
Hi!
Than you for that great answer, I appreciate it.  :) I have still got a few questions, what kind of quotes would I use for part 2 (a) and what kind of images and quotes could I use for my text. How would I spread it out on the A3 paper and  using the quote that they have given us, would that need to be included in the poster?
Thanks!

Hey again! In terms of quotes, you need to use quotes that show the idea you find in the text through a technique. Just like you would for a regular essay. You should have gone through some of these in class!  ;D

I would definitely use the quote they have given you (if you use a quote at all), since it does say "use it as your focus." Any other quotes you use in the poster should probably come from the text. In terms of how you lay it out and the images you use, the idea is to demonstrate visually the ideas that you identify in the text. The poster becomes visually representative of the concepts in the text. I can't really say how you should lay out the images or what quotes to use, because I don't know your text, and that would kind of just be doing the assignment for you, aha  ;D

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions if you need  ;D

Chris_edwards

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 07:19:47 pm »
The essay question is
"A distinctive voice does not simply recount experience, it offers a perspective on experience that is important."

My texts are both speeches;
Aung San Suu Kyi Nobel Lecture (16 June 2012) and
Indira Gandhi, 'The True Liberation of Women’

I am having real issues starting this essay. Can anyone provide any sort of assistance?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 09:25:45 pm »
+1
The essay question is
"A distinctive voice does not simply recount experience, it offers a perspective on experience that is important."

My texts are both speeches;
Aung San Suu Kyi Nobel Lecture (16 June 2012) and
Indira Gandhi, 'The True Liberation of Women’

I am having real issues starting this essay. Can anyone provide any sort of assistance?

Hey Chris! Welcome to the forums!  ;D

Is that the whole question attached? It is more of a rationale, the sentence that sits before the actual question. If you attach the full thing I can try and give you some more pointers!

However, what the rationale is saying is best considered against the English Standard Syllabus:

In their responding and composing, students consider various types and functions of voices in texts. They explore the ways language is used to create voices in texts, and how this use of language affects interpretation and shapes meaning. Students examine one prescribed text, in addition to other related texts of their own choosing that provide examples of distinctive voices.

Basically, what the rationale is saying is that a distinctive voice (as created through language techniques) accentuates the representation of perspectives/ideas in texts. By creating a 'voice' that the audience can relate to, the ideas/experiences that the composer presents are made more relatable to us. I'd wager your essay question will ask you, in some way shape or form, to explore this idea. So, to get you started, brainstorm some ideas! What is the composer trying to get across? What themes are being explored?

Then, try and shortlist some quotes from your speeches that create a distinctive voice. What has the speaker done to really accentuate themselves. Remember, this isn't about delivery, this is about the techniques within the speech that make it distinctive, and thus make the exploration of ideas unique. Shortlisting techniques and ideas would be a great start for any essay. Again, if you post the whole thing, I can give you some more help to get started!!

PS - Even if you aren't sure where to pop your question, don't spam it all over the place. It will get seen, promise!

Chris_edwards

• Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 09:57:04 pm »
Hey! Thanks heaps for replying, sorry I posted everywhere haha, wasn't sure where to put it up.
Below is literally the whole assignment task. What I guess i'm looking for is kind of like a rough scaffold in how i should structure the essay and when to include the related text and the two prescribed texts. Hope you can help out

The Task
In class you will write an essay in response to the following question:

‘A distinctive voice does not simply recount experience, it offers a perspective on experience that is important.’

To what extent do you agree with this statement? Discuss how this is achieved in your prescribed text, the TED talk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0a61wFaF8A) and ONE other related text (my related text https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVLcj-XKnM) of your own choosing.

You should refer to TWO of the speeches set for study, one of which must be the Nobel Lecture by Aung San Suu Kyi.
(the other one is Indira Gandi)
and
You are to watch the following clip The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history and integrate its insights on speech making into your essay (you do not need to write a STEEL paragraph on the clip, simply incorporate some of its ideas on the nature of speeches into your essay).

You must also have a related text in your response. It cannot be another speech.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2016, 10:45:54 pm »
+1
Hey! Thanks heaps for replying, sorry I posted everywhere haha, wasn't sure where to put it up.
Below is literally the whole assignment task. What I guess i'm looking for is kind of like a rough scaffold in how i should structure the essay and when to include the related text and the two prescribed texts. Hope you can help out

The Task
In class you will write an essay in response to the following question:

‘A distinctive voice does not simply recount experience, it offers a perspective on experience that is important.’

To what extent do you agree with this statement? Discuss how this is achieved in your prescribed text, the TED talk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0a61wFaF8A) and ONE other related text (my related text https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVLcj-XKnM) of your own choosing.

You should refer to TWO of the speeches set for study, one of which must be the Nobel Lecture by Aung San Suu Kyi.
(the other one is Indira Gandi)
and
You are to watch the following clip The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history and integrate its insights on speech making into your essay (you do not need to write a STEEL paragraph on the clip, simply incorporate some of its ideas on the nature of speeches into your essay).

You must also have a related text in your response. It cannot be another speech.

Hey again! Yep that's no worries at all!  ;D okay, so take what I said above as a theme, this question is asking you to either agree or disagree with it. It wants your judgement on the theme, does it apply to your understanding or not (it probably will, it is usually easier to just agree with things like this).

In terms of ideas for structure, there are really two things you can do.

• One paragraph per text: This is probably the simplest structural idea. Each paragraph takes one of the three texts and evaluates how well a voice is created to communicate an idea or ideas. Techniques would be used, as would references to the TED talk that is mentioned.
  • One idea per text: This is a little more sophisticated, but has the potential to be more effective. Basically, you take three common themes through the speeches and related text (justice or equality might be ideas based on your speakers). Each of these themes gets a paragraph, and you explore how ALL THREE texts explore the theme, contrasting how each creates a distinctive voice. This is trickier to do, but allows you to blend the three texts together more effectively, and creates a more conceptual response.

For both of these, your structure will revolve around a Thesis paragraph that sets up your argument and lays out the structure of your paragraphs. We have some great exemplar essays free to download, it might be worth having a look at some to see how they do it! Note I linked you to Advanced instead of Standard, you should be aspiring to match the sophistication you see in Advanced essays if you can!  ;D

I hope this helps give you a rough picture of what your essay should look like!!  ;D

Chris_edwards

• Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 09:21:56 am »
Ok, so ive done a bit of work on this. I have changed my related text to Severn Suzuki. Hope you can provide some feedback!

Voice in texts is one of the main ways that composers connect with their audiences to not only recount experience but to provide a unique perspective. Three texts that communicate distinctive voices and offer a perspective through personal experience is Aung San Suu Kyi’s Nobel Lecture, Indira Gandhi’ 'The True Liberation of Women’ and Julia Roberts ‘Nature is speaking.’ All three composers use a very feminist voice to get across their message.
(intro not 100% complete, im not sure that these texts are using a feminist voice so i'll come back to this)

The distinctive voice of Aung San Suu Kyi, engages with the audience and creates a sense of empathy and interest through exploring her experiences and feelings. The kairos of her speech is such that it engages with the audience in a deep and emotional level. The audience know that it is not the first time this award has been presented to her as her sons received it before her in 1991, while she was under house arrest. This causes special warmth and gratitude from the audience towards her, that she physically could not come to receive such a prestigious award. This kairos is supplemented by the use of the anecdote in “Desert Island Discs”, this anecdote raises the Buddhist theme of Karma and coincidence and the way the fate of an individual can play out. Aung San Suu Kyi herself is buddhist and there are several references to her religion throughout her speech. The plosive repetitive ‘p’ sound in the line “pleasant prospect, but quite improbable!” transmits her Buddhist values of karma. In the quote she is speaking of an improbable situation in the past which has now come true in the present because of her good actions throughout time. Being under house arrest and displaying her strong Buddhist values throughout this speech contribute greatly to how the audience portray her. As Richard Greene discusses in his TED talk ‘The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history’ it is only 7% of the speaker’s voice that actually
Link to TED talk

Similarly, the unique voice of Severn Cullis-Suzuki in her speech allows the audience to engage with her feelings and connect with her very youthful perspective on the world. By employing high modality, Suzuki is able to make her voice distinctive. An example of this youthful perspective can be seen in the quote, “To tell you adults you must change your ways.” The words “To tell you adults” clearly establishes that it is the younger generation talking to the older generation, and it is through the high modality of “You must” that a real call to action is put forth to the people in power. This youthful voice that Suzuki uses is further exemplified by clever persuasive Appeals. Suzuki appeals to the audience's’ pathos, ethos and logos by drifting between inclusive language and personal pronouns. The quotes “I am here to speak on behalf of the starving children around the world whose cries go unheard,”and  “All this is happening before our eyes and yet we act as if we have all the time we want and all the solutions,” and “I'm only a child and I don't have all the solutions, but I want you to realize, neither do you!” show how Suzuki is drifting from using ‘I am’ to the words ‘We want,’ by using these powerful personal pronouns and inclusive language, allows the readers to connect with her on an emotional level. She also shows facts which helps prove her point. Through the whole speech this young girl talks about the right and the wrong things she sees in humanity, and how adults emphasize us to do the right thing in life when they don't act on their own words and how she sees it unfair.
Link to TED talk

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 07:40:34 am »
+1
Ok, so ive done a bit of work on this. I have changed my related text to Severn Suzuki. Hope you can provide some feedback!

Hey Chris!! I sure can! Essay is attached with comments throughout ;D

Spoiler
Voice in texts is one of the main ways that composers connect with their audiences to not only recount experience but to provide a unique perspective. Three texts that communicate distinctive voices and offer a perspective through personal experience is Aung San Suu Kyi’s Nobel Lecture, Indira Gandhi’ 'The True Liberation of Women’ and Julia Roberts ‘Nature is speaking.’ All three composers use a very feminist voice to get across their message. Good introduction!! I'd like to see you up the sophistication a bit with some more clever word choice, and further, remove phrases like "a very feminist voice." "A very" isn't sophisticated language, and it's a little off grammatically as well, try and work on the expression. Finally, I'd like to see an integration of some common themes that link these three texts, but I'd wager this will come through as you explore the feminist voice aspect.

The distinctive voice of Aung San Suu Kyi, engages with the audience and creates a sense of empathy and interest through exploring her experiences and feelings. Try and be a bit more specific here. What messages is she trying to convey? Talking about her "experiences and feelings" is vague, try and come up with specific themes and morals she is seeking to communicate. The kairos of her speech is such that it engages with the audience in a deep and emotional level. Is 'kairos' a literary term? The audience know that it is not the first time this award has been presented to her as her sons received it before her in 1991, while she was under house arrest. This causes special warmth and gratitude from the audience towards her, that she physically could not come to receive such a prestigious award. Good link to context, however, be more succinct. This could be compressed into one sentence, try and focus on punchy sentences with effective word choice. This kairos is supplemented by the use of the anecdote in “Desert Island Discs”, this anecdote raises the Buddhist theme of Karma and coincidence and the way the fate of an individual can play out. Aung San Suu Kyi herself is buddhist and there are several references to her religion throughout her speech. The plosive repetitive ‘p’ sound in the line “pleasant prospect, but quite improbable!” transmits her Buddhist values of karma. In the quote she is speaking of an improbable situation in the past which has now come true in the present because of her good actions throughout time. You don't need to recount the speeches specifics in this way: Your focus is on analysis and (depending on the question) evaluation. Assume the reader has read the speech and knows about its context. Being under house arrest and displaying her strong Buddhist values throughout this speech contribute greatly to how the audience portray her. As Richard Greene discusses in his TED talk ‘The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history’ it is only 7% of the speaker’s voice that actually
Link to TED talk

Similarly, the unique voice of Severn Cullis-Suzuki in her speech allows the audience to engage with her feelings and connect with her very youthful perspective on the world. Take out the "with her feelings and connect with" part of your sentence here, and I'm on board. Also, this isn't the composer you mention in the intro? By employing high modality, Suzuki is able to make her voice distinctive. An example of this youthful perspective can be seen in the quote, “To tell you adults you must change your ways.” The words “To tell you adults” clearly establishes that it is the younger generation talking to the older generation, and it is through the high modality of “You must” that a real call to action is put forth to the people in power. You've just spent 3 sentences discussing what could be discussed in one sentence. Again, focus on punchy word choice and sentences if you can. This youthful voice that Suzuki uses is further exemplified by clever persuasive Appeals. Suzuki appeals to the audience's’ pathos, ethos and logos by drifting between inclusive language and personal pronouns. The quotes “I am here to speak on behalf of the starving children around the world whose cries go unheard,”and  “All this is happening before our eyes and yet we act as if we have all the time we want and all the solutions,” and “I'm only a child and I don't have all the solutions, but I want you to realize, neither do you!” show how Suzuki is drifting from using ‘I am’ to the words ‘We want,’ by using these powerful personal pronouns and inclusive language, allows the readers to connect with her on an emotional level. She also shows facts which helps prove her point. Through the whole speech this young girl talks about the right and the wrong things she sees in humanity, and how adults emphasize us to do the right thing in life when they don't act on their own words and how she sees it unfair.
Link to TED talk

Your textual reference and link to impact on the audience is really effective Chris! Many students have difficulty getting the impact on the audience into their response, and you've done it quite well, so excellent job there! You have a variety of textual references and links to personal context (for Suu Kyi), which is excellent, and structurally your response (thus far) is effective as well. Great stuff!

I would suggest two primary avenues for improvement at the moment. First, word choices and expression. You need to try and up the level of sophistication in your language, and part of this will come from being more succinct.

Let me give you an example. Consider this passage:

By employing high modality, Suzuki is able to make her voice distinctive. An example of this youthful perspective can be seen in the quote, “To tell you adults you must change your ways.” The words “To tell you adults” clearly establishes that it is the younger generation talking to the older generation, and it is through the high modality of “You must” that a real call to action is put forth to the people in power.

I can replace that with this without altering meaning, in fact, actually adding a little bit:

Suzuki's use of high modality language in addressing her much older audience is impressive to the responder, effectively enforcing her call to action “To tell you adults you must change your ways."

Little changes to word choice and sentence structure can massively reduce the amount of time you spend communicating an idea (big plus), increase sophistication, and give your ideas greater clarity. Practice makes perfect here, so keep working on that  ;D

Secondly, a greater conceptual focus. Essentially what you are doing at the moment is discussing the effectiveness of the speakers in a quite generic way. I'd like to see you focus on how well they address specific themes (as you sort of touch on in your second paragraph). For example, for paragraph one, you could focus on how Suu Kyi draws on her personal religious context in order to create a distinctive voice through realistic personal character development. Something like that to give your ideas more focus. Without this, it feels a little 'unclear' what you are trying to convey.

On the whole, you do things really well in this essay, I'd love to see you tidy the expression a bit and develop your concepts, and you'll have the start of a really good essay!  ;D great work Chris!

For future reference, you can post in our English Standard Marking Forum to receive feedback like this for any response you submit  ;D

Ahmad123

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Cranbourne Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »
I need an erormous amount of improvement in English! on this page they say that you must "make your weakenss into your strengths". I am really bad in my language usage and most of the times i score 2 out of 6, tips to improve my lanugage would be much appreciated ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2016, 07:29:29 pm »
+1
I need an erormous amount of improvement in English! on this page they say that you must "make your weakenss into your strengths". I am really bad in my language usage and most of the times i score 2 out of 6, tips to improve my lanugage would be much appreciated ;D

Hi there! Some of the fastest and most effective ways to become fluent in English is to watch plenty of movies, TV shows, and listen to plenty of music and the radio. The more often you are exposed to the language, you will pick it up more and more and becoming increasingly familiar with sentence structure.

Continually write in English. Write simple things - like what you did on the weekend. Then ask a fluent English speaker to assist with how you wrote these things until the way you form your sentences are perfect. Then we can turn your weakness into your strength!

Let me know what you think :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!