Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 01:00:00 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 209091 times)  Share 

Chris_edwards

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 11:13:08 am »
+1
Hey there, Here is my final Essay. It is missing the conclusion, I was hoping you could provide some help in how the conclusion needs to be written and what it needs to include. I have tried to integrate your previous feedback.
Hope to you hear from you soon
Regards

A person who is able to effectively deliver one’s own connotation of written words by bringing exceptional qualities to their voice gets the recognition of being a ‘distinctive voice’. A distinctive voice stands out for its own creation and conversion of the text to the speaker’s own personal experiences, predicaments, views and opinions to their audiences. These voices force their audiences to listen, get engaged, acknowledge, understand, think and develop a sense of empathy for the speaker. Composers Aung Suu Kyi, Severn Cullis-Suzuki and Julia Roberts all powerfully transform their recount of experiences into  meaningful perspectives.

Aung San Suu Kyi’s heroic, experienced and mature voice invoked riveting arguments in justification for the ideal of universal human rights and the political construct that safeguards those rights. In an event hailed as the "Most remarkable in the entire history of the Nobel prizes", Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese democracy campaigner, delivered her acceptance speech for her peace prize in Oslo's vast City Hall more than two decades after it was awarded to her. Suu Kyi’s carefully chosen words in her acceptance speech are delivered with just the right mix of perfectly opted voice, tone and impressive body language allows her to enthral her audience. She has not used any hard figures or statistical data to relay the sufferings of her countrymen who believe in democracy and human rights, but instead employs inclusive language such as “endeavours of those”, “some of our warriors”, “best known detainees”, “many ethnic nationalities”. It is through this inclusive language of words like “We”, “Our” and “Us” that allows Aung San Suu Kyi to connect to the audiences ethos, they are made to feel like part of a group and inspired to take collective action. Richard Green, in his presentation ‘The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history,’ examines that speeches should not be overwhelmed with ‘data’ and ‘statistics’ but instead the manner and the style of the speaker weighs more importance. By not utilizing any statistical data, the rhetoric of Aung San Suu Kyi’s speech becomes even more compelling such that she uses her experienced and mature voice to push her audience to fight for their Human Rights. Through the use of inclusive language and the exclusion of statistical data, Aung San Suu Kyi is able to portray her powerful perspective on the political safeguards of Burma by powerfully retelling her experience.

Severn Suzuki’s youthful and energetic voice speaks about the endurance of her generation to experience the effects of climate change being brought about by the constant misuse and abuse of the bountiful natural resources by generations of humans. Vancouver native Severn Suzuki, 12 years old, took the microphone at the United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992. Within five minutes, she'd delivered a speech from her youthful perspective and is now popularly known as "The Girl Who Silenced the World.” An example of her youthful perspective can be seen in the extract, “To tell you adults you must change your ways.” Suzuki's use of high modality in addressing her much older audience is evident through the words “You must,” whilst the words “To tell you adults” clearly establishes that it is the younger generation talking to the older generation. It is through this tone that Suzuki puts forth a real call to action and challenges those in power. This high modal tone is supported by Suzuki’s use of facts and statistics and how she immediately connects these with her audience by using statements like “We are all a part of a family 5 billion strong”, “30 million species strong” making these hard facts real and appreciative. These connecting statements compels her audience to visualise the plight she is narrating and accept her fears on behalf of her whole generation. By using these connecting statements, Suzuki clearly establishes a very compelling message for her audience in that the safety of our planet is no joke. Here she establishes Richard Green’s 4th point in his presentation ‘The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history,’ by “establishing a clear and compelling message” she is able to appeal to the audiences logos and further persuade them to start taking drastic action. Through the use of high modality and apt connecting statements, Suzuki’s rhetoric blends Richard Green’s fourth secret to great affect as she is able to recount her experience and portray her perspective.

As part of an awareness campaign in which well known celebrities are used to create voices of nature, Julia Roberts represents ‘Mother Earth.’ Her wise and sophisticated voice speaks about how material reality poses stark limitations on our narcissistic desires. The narrator’s tone and language as she discusses humanity is very ominous and off-putting. Speaking with all the haughty disdain we’d associate with a Witch like character, Roberts scoffs at man as an insignificant and transient biological blip. “I have fed species greater than you,” she recounts. “And I have starved species greater than you.” Roberts employs chiasmus in “I don't need people but people need me,” creating a special artistic effect which transforms her recounted experience and places emphasis on what she wants to communicate. We can't wreck the only known habitable planet and expect it to magically fix itself. By adopting a very ominous tone and through employing a clever chiasmus, Julia Roberts is able to transform her recount experience into a unique perspective.

(conclusion)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 07:35:41 pm »
+1

Hey there, Here is my final Essay. It is missing the conclusion, I was hoping you could provide some help in how the conclusion needs to be written and what it needs to include. I have tried to integrate your previous feedback.
Regards

Hi Chris! I'm here to look at your essay with fresh eyes. If Jamon reads over this and sees something that he'd like to add, because he's looked at your work before, then he will! For now, a fresh pair of eyes might be really helpful for you, to get another perspective :)
A distinctive voice does not simply recount experience, it offers a perspective on experience that is important
Here is your essay, and I've put my own writing in bold font throughout:
Spoiler
A person who is able to effectively deliver one’s own connotation of written words by bringing exceptional qualities to their voice gets receives the recognition of being a ‘distinctive voice’. A distinctive voice stands out for its own creation (this part of your work is jarring for me. Perhaps you mean, "creative construction..." and conversion of the text to the speaker’s own personal experiences, predicaments, views and opinions to their audiences. These voices force their audiences to listen, get become engaged, acknowledge, understand, think and develop a sense of empathy for the speaker. Composers Aung Suu Kyi, Severn Cullis-Suzuki and Julia Roberts all powerfully transform their recount of experiences into  meaningful perspectives. This is looking really good! My only critiques are about the wording - make sure that everything you write, particularly in an introduction, describes exactly what you want it to. You want to give the marker a super clear vision.

Aung San Suu Kyi’s heroic, experienced and mature voice invoked riveting arguments in justification for the ideal of universal human rights and the political construct that safeguards those rights. In an event hailed as the "Most remarkable in the entire history of the Nobel prizes", Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese democracy campaigner, delivered her acceptance speech for her peace prize in Oslo's vast City Hall more than two decades after it was awarded to her. Suu Kyi’s carefully chosen words in her acceptance speech are delivered with just the right mix of perfectly perfectly here doesn't offer a lot. It is your opinion, which could be strengthened if you were directly basing it off a feature of the tone (soft, loud, etc). opted voice, tone and impressive body language allows her to enthral her audience. She has not used any hard figures or statistical data to relay the sufferings of her countrymen who believe in democracy and human rights, but instead employs inclusive language such as “endeavours of those”, “some of our warriors”, “best known detainees”, “many ethnic nationalities”. It is through this inclusive language of words like “We”, “Our” and “Us” that allows Aung San Suu Kyi to connect to the audiences ethos, they are made to feel like part of a group and inspired to take collective action. Great! Richard Green, in his presentation ‘The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history,’ examines that speeches should not be overwhelmed with ‘data’ and ‘statistics’ but instead the manner and the style of the speaker weighs more importance. By not utilizing any statistical data, the rhetoric of Aung San Suu Kyi’s speech becomes even more compelling such that she uses her experienced and mature voice to push her audience to fight for their Human Rights. Through the use of inclusive language and the exclusion of statistical data, Aung San Suu Kyi is able to portray her powerful perspective on the political safeguards of Burma by powerfully retelling her experience. Your essay is brought back to it here, which is great! But, throughout the paragraph, we need references to the idea that the text relived an importance experience beyond just recounting. After each literary analysis, drop in the essay question and make a connection to it. This strengthens your essay so much!

I'd start this paragraph with a more explicit reference to the question at hand :) So by this I mean, talk about how the text goes from recount to important experience, rather than giving a plot outline :)Severn Suzuki’s youthful and energetic voice speaks about the endurance of her generation to experience the effects of climate change being brought about by the constant misuse and abuse of the bountiful natural resources by generations of humans. Vancouver native Severn Suzuki, 12 years old, took the microphone at the United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992. Within five minutes, she'd delivered a speech from her youthful perspective and is now popularly known as "The Girl Who Silenced the World.” An example of her youthful perspective can be seen in the extract, “To tell you adults you must change your ways.” Suzuki's use of high modality in addressing her much older audience is evident through the words “You must,” whilst the words “To tell you adults” clearly establishes that it is the younger generation talking to the older generation. It is through this tone that Suzuki puts forth a real call to action and challenges those in power. This high modal tone is supported by Suzuki’s use of facts and statistics and how she immediately connects these with her audience by using statements like “We are all a part of a family 5 billion strong”, “30 million species strong” making these hard facts real and appreciative. These connecting statements compels her audience to visualise the plight she is narrating and accept her fears on behalf of her whole generation. By using these connecting statements, Suzuki clearly establishes a very compelling message for her audience in that the safety of our planet is no joke. Here she establishes Richard Green’s 4th point in his presentation ‘The 7 secrets of the greatest speakers in history,’ by “establishing a clear and compelling message” she is able to appeal to the audiences logos and further persuade them to start taking drastic action. Through the use of high modality and apt connecting statements, Suzuki’s rhetoric blends Richard Green’s fourth secret to great affect as she is able to recount her experience and portray her perspective. I think you've done a good job here in talking about the text, techniques and effect. I think you need to work on making an explicit link to the idea that the composer isn't just recounting, but is in fact doing so so much more than that. The essay question is really great here, because it suits the module so well. So it isn't too difficult to weave through your response when you consciously think about it after each and every sentence. You will see so many little pockets to weave it in!

As part of an awareness campaign in which well known celebrities are used to create voices of nature, Julia Roberts represents ‘Mother Earth.’ Her wise and sophisticated voice speaks about how material reality poses stark limitations on our narcissistic desires. The narrator’s tone and language as she discusses humanity is very ominous and off-putting. Speaking with all the haughty disdain we’d associate with a Witch like character, Roberts scoffs at man as an insignificant and transient biological blip. “I have fed species greater than you,” she recounts. “And I have starved species greater than you.” Roberts employs chiasmus in “I don't need people but people need me,” creating a special artistic effect which transforms her recounted experience and places emphasis on what she wants to communicate. We can't wreck the only known habitable planet and expect it to magically fix itself. By adopting a very ominous tone and through employing a clever chiasmus, Julia Roberts is able to transform her recount experience into a unique perspective.

Overall you've done a great job here! Your paragraphs are sustained really well. The thing that will pull you down in marks is your relation to the set question. Aim to refer to it in the beginning, middle, and end of every paragraph. Twice in the middle if possible. So at least four times in a paragraph. This ties in all of your paragraphs with the same theme. This will boost the sophistication of your essay! :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:44:31 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 07:48:53 pm »
+1
Regards
(conclusion)

Sorry! I forgot to talk about your conclusion.
Here is a bit of a mini guide :)
You should first of all talk about the essay question without mentioning the texts. Then you should deal with each text in its own sentence and relate it to the question. Then on your very last sentence, sum it all up. You can mention the texts here if you want, or leave them out all together. Totally up to you :) Conclusions are really flexible - just remember it is the last taste of your writing that a marker will have - so you want to make it a good taste! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 11:04:21 pm »
Sorry! I forgot to talk about your conclusion.
Here is a bit of a mini guide :)
You should first of all talk about the essay question without mentioning the texts. Then you should deal with each text in its own sentence and relate it to the question. Then on your very last sentence, sum it all up. You can mention the texts here if you want, or leave them out all together. Totally up to you :) Conclusions are really flexible - just remember it is the last taste of your writing that a marker will have - so you want to make it a good taste! :)

Happy 200th post Elyse!  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 11:07:59 pm »
+1
Happy 200th post Elyse!  ;D

Happy 450th post Jamon!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 11:08:11 pm »
+2
Happy 450th post Jamon!

Thanks Jamon!  ;)

katherine123

• Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 08:10:35 pm »
Can you check whether my thesis in my intro is fine?
Question: Transitions can inform, challenge or change an individual’s understanding of themselves and the world around them. Discuss this statement with close reference to your prescribed text and one other related text

Transitions into a new world may be confronting due to the challenges that individuals may encounter. However, they can ultimately overcome them as these processes inform, challenge and change their understanding of themselves and the world which enables them to experience growth and change.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »
+1
Can you check whether my thesis in my intro is fine?
Question: Transitions can inform, challenge or change an individual’s understanding of themselves and the world around them. Discuss this statement with close reference to your prescribed text and one other related text

Transitions into a new world may be confronting due to the challenges that individuals may encounter. However, they can ultimately overcome them as these processes inform, challenge and change their understanding of themselves and the world which enables them to experience growth and change.

Hey Katherine!! I think this works well, I'd perhaps like to see you be a little more specific about the challenges the individuals encounter, and if you wanted to be a little more succinct you could put these two sentences together with some punchier word choices (instead of inform, challenge and change, pick one word that summarises them all for you), but I like the direction you are heading in  :D

katherine123

• Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2016, 10:31:57 pm »
Can you check my thesis and intro thanks :)

Question : When transitioning into a new world, communication plays an important part in forming and reforming interactions. Discuss this statement with close reference to your prescribed text and one other related text
Intro: Individuals may be constrained in their old world due to self and other’s preconceived values and beliefs. Thus, communication is significant as it forms and reforms interaction which leads to the reshaping of one’s attitudes and beliefs. This notion is conveyed in the film, Billy Elliot, directed by Stephen Daldry, as it portrays a boy’s transition into the world of dance as his potential is informed due to his social interactions with others. Similarly, Tim Winton’s short story, Big World, explores the narrator’s process of maturation as his communication with others leads him to redefines the value of the restrictive nature of friendship and pursues his own aspirations. Both texts encapsulate individuals navigating their ways into a broader world by communicating with others which leads them to attain new attitudes and beliefs.

Thesis: Transition into a new world may involve adversities that trap individuals in a state of hesitancy, however they are able to gain support  during the process through communication with others.

Thesis: Transition often involves encountering constraining socially inscribed conventions. Hence, communication with others is significant as it allows them to renew their preconceived attitudes and beliefs which enables them to transcend these barriers.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2016, 10:58:25 pm »
+1
Can you check my thesis and intro thanks :)

Question : When transitioning into a new world, communication plays an important part in forming and reforming interactions. Discuss this statement with close reference to your prescribed text and one other related text

Intro: Individuals may be constrained in their old world due to self and other’s preconceived values and beliefs. Thus, communication is significant as it forms and reforms interaction which leads to the reshaping of one’s attitudes and beliefs. This notion is conveyed in the film, Billy Elliot, directed by Stephen Daldry, as it portrays a boy’s transition into the world of dance as his potential is informed due to his social interactions with others. Similarly, Tim Winton’s short story, Big World, explores the narrator’s process of maturation as his communication with others leads him to redefines the value of the restrictive nature of friendship and pursues his own aspirations. Both texts encapsulate individuals navigating their ways into a broader world by communicating with others which leads them to attain new attitudes and beliefs.

Thesis: Transition into a new world may involve adversities that trap individuals in a state of hesitancy, however they are able to gain support during the process through communication with others.

Thesis: Transition often involves encountering constraining socially inscribed conventions. Hence, communication with others is significant as it allows them to renew their preconceived attitudes and beliefs which enables them to transcend these barriers.

Hey Katherine!!

The intro works really really well, though I'd add a list of what each paragraph will cover. I'd also change "their old world" to something about being locked in their old perspectives of self and the world (raise the sophistication slightly), and then in the following sentence, change "significant" to something else, perhaps "vital," significant is a little vague in its intention. But yep, works really well!

First Thesis is great in its ideas, but the wording could be improved. The "however, they are able to gain support during the process" is the bit I look at, move communication to the START of that clause since it is the focus, EG - "with communication being the primary means of support", or something like that.

Second Thesis, I get lost in the wording a bit. This part, "encountering constraining socially inscribed conventions," doesn't quite make sense, try adjusting it a tad. Then, in the next bit, choose a better word than "significant" (significant how?). Besides this, again works well!!

Hope this helps  ;D

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2016, 10:45:33 am »
+1
Hola!

Anyone have any ideas for related material for Module C: Exploring Interactions.
My core text is A Man with Five Children.
Faaaaannkksss
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2016, 09:35:38 am »
+1
Hola!

Anyone have any ideas for related material for Module C: Exploring Interactions.
My core text is A Man with Five Children.
Faaaaannkksss

Hey! Great question. Consider Tim Winton's short story Neighbours, or his short story, DIstant Lands. You'll find them in his anthologies: Minimum of Two, and Scission. They both deal with interactions really well. Particularly Neighbours. Otherwise consider the book "When the Wind Blows" by Raymond Briggs. The interaction between husband and wife, and the government, is really great. It's a big graphic novel that's the size of one of the picture books you might have read when you were younger (like A4+ in size). Let me know what you think :)

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2016, 02:21:25 pm »
hey guys just a quick question ? for the AOS essay is it out of 15 in the hsc swell ?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2016, 02:28:39 pm »
hey guys just a quick question ? for the AOS essay is it out of 15 in the hsc swell ?

Sure is! And the module essays are out of 20  ;D

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2016, 02:30:11 pm »
hey guys would anyone happen to any techniques in the play 'away' for discovery i am so stuck and i find sos really hard for some reason ?