Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:01:58 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 209004 times)  Share 

tahmina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2016, 02:32:14 pm »

okay thank you :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2016, 02:34:33 pm »
okay thank you :)

A little tip Tahmina, say you wanted to reply to my response and make it clear who you are talking to. You can do this by "quoting" the post you are replying to, just like I've done here (notice your post in blue just above).

To do this, click Quote on the top right of the post you want to quote. This will insert it as a quote at the start of your message and you can then respond accordingly  ;D feel free to test it with this post!

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2016, 11:27:08 pm »
So for the Module C: Exploring Interactions, my essay question is how are attitudes and beliefs challenged in your texts. How do i approach this question, what should i be looking for in terms of concepts etc. Our core text involves some very different ideas i guess (Aboriginal nationality, Sexuality - Ethical and Moral) etc. Are these the type of stuff i should be focusing on?

After choosing 3 concepts and another 3 concepts from my related text, would that be enough content for the essay? Thanks :D
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2016, 11:44:39 pm »
+1
So for the Module C: Exploring Interactions, my essay question is how are attitudes and beliefs challenged in your texts. How do i approach this question, what should i be looking for in terms of concepts etc. Our core text involves some very different ideas i guess (Aboriginal nationality, Sexuality - Ethical and Moral) etc. Are these the type of stuff i should be focusing on?

After choosing 3 concepts and another 3 concepts from my related text, would that be enough content for the essay? Thanks :D

Hey itswags!!

So yep, it sounds like you are on the right track!!  ;D you've pulled some interesting concepts from your core text already, which is fabulous. Basically, I would be looking for 3 ideas which are explored in both your core text and the ORT of your choice. There must be overlap! This ensures you can compare and contrast how that idea is treated between them.

Your question demands you explore how our assumptions/attitudes are challenged by the composers through their text. For example, how do the two texts challenge our perceptions of indigenous spirituality, that could be a paragraph! Note that when I say how, I'm referring to techniques! What techniques does the composer use to challenge those attitudes? How well does that work?

You are definitely moving in the right direction and already have some great concepts. Now aim to find the overlap for your ORT, look for 3 distinct ideas to discuss!  ;D

caitlynlee

• Fresh Poster
  • School: westfields sports high school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2016, 11:29:41 am »
Hey guys, ive been trying to use the english standard syllabus to write essay plans, but i dont understand the syllabus in order to write essay plans >.< has anyone else gotten over this problem, or what are you guys doing?

MaxSteel11

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2016, 11:56:17 am »
Hello, I have a Question just based on Standard English, for my upcoming HSC Trials. What is the best way to prepare, plan and writing a creative writing pieced based on a stimulus which the exam paper provides you. If I could get help on this, this would help me a lot. This is for Discovery.

Thanks you

Septemberblue

• Fresh Poster
  • School: inverell high
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2016, 05:52:33 pm »
Does everybody have any suggestion for Module C related text, 'Exploring Transition'??? we are reading 'The Story of Tom Brennan'... Thank you :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »
+1
Hello, I have a Question just based on Standard English, for my upcoming HSC Trials. What is the best way to prepare, plan and writing a creative writing pieced based on a stimulus which the exam paper provides you. If I could get help on this, this would help me a lot. This is for Discovery.

Thanks you

Hi there!
I went into my exam with a prepared piece of writing that was nearly completely memorised. I knew exactly which sections I could vastly manipulate to suit the stimulus if need be. By this I mean, I knew the sections that were kind of "reflection" paragraphs where I could change the thoughts my narrator had in order to reflect the stimulus. Also, I looked at past papers (even belonging ones) to look at the image stimuli and work out how I would approach that particular image. So I used every single image I could get my hands on in order to know many different variations for my creative, even though I wanted to stick as closely to my planned response as possible. I have friends who made up their creative entirely on the spot in the exam which is amazing, but it wasn't something I could do at all! I was too anxious to go in without a plan, so I went in with as much as possible prepared! You can incorporate a visual stimulus by talking about the colour, the salient image, turning it into a metaphor, or making the object in the image a literal object in your work! This required a lot of trial and error for me until I worked out where in my story was the safest place to incorporate a stimulus!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2016, 06:08:09 pm »
Does everybody have any suggestion for Module C related text, 'Exploring Transition'??? we are reading 'The Story of Tom Brennan'... Thank you :)

I haven't studied this myself, but I have a few suggestions!
Seamus Heaney's poem: Mid-term Break.
W B Yeats' poem: Among School Children
Ed Sheeran's song or video clip: Small bump
Home and Away: The picture book by John Marsden

Hopefully this either gives you a related text, or gives you an idea to bounce off!

Septemberblue

• Fresh Poster
  • School: inverell high
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2016, 06:11:25 pm »
Can anyone give me an idea for creative writing for discovery?, i'd been trying to adapt into the charcaters i'd created in the first exam but i don't think it is working out well. So i am trying to adapt into a character before my HSC....Anyone got any ideas??????????????????? Thank you

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2016, 06:32:37 pm »
+1
Hey guys, ive been trying to use the english standard syllabus to write essay plans, but i dont understand the syllabus in order to write essay plans >.< has anyone else gotten over this problem, or what are you guys doing?

Hey Caitlyn!! Welcome to the forums!! Be sure to let me know if you need any help finding things  ;D

What sections of the syllabus are you looking at trying to formulate essay plans? It might be a little tricky, the syllabus can be quite broad, but eager to help if I can! Just let me know exactly what you are looking at and I'll help you understand it  ;D

PS: A great way to prepare for essays and prepare plans for potential questions is to take a look at past questions! It's a great way to see the sort of thing you are likely to be up against  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2016, 06:38:56 pm »
+1
Can anyone give me an idea for creative writing for discovery?, i'd been trying to adapt into the charcaters i'd created in the first exam but i don't think it is working out well. So i am trying to adapt into a character before my HSC....Anyone got any ideas??????????????????? Thank you

There are a few places you can go to get some inspiration on our site (do lots of wider reading as well)  ;D

Our Creative Writing Marking Thread has some awesome pieces written by students, with feedback. Have a flick through a couple and you might be inspired!! Don't copy someones idea, obviously, but it's a great place to get some inspiration. EG, see a story about a Muslim immigrant to Australia, try doing something similar with a Muslim immigrant to Europe. Put your spin on it!

Also check out this Band 6 creative written by Elyse!

Besides this, be sure to read lots of books, take a characters situation and adapt it a little to make a short story. Take a modern political situation and turn it into a Creative. The world is quite literally your oyster!!

PS: I love that you want to develop a character before developing a story. For the HSC I didn't have a memorised story, but I had a character that I'd written about heaps in several key ways, I think it's a great way to "prepare" in a broad sense  ;D

kaufoou

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2016, 08:56:46 pm »
any suggestions for Module C: Exploring Transitions related texts? Prescribed is Stephen Daldry's Billy Elliot
Also my exam may be on Wednesday..... so maybe not a novel?  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ sorry....

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2016, 11:14:09 pm »
any suggestions for Module C: Exploring Transitions related texts? Prescribed is Stephen Daldry's Billy Elliot
Also my exam may be on Wednesday..... so maybe not a novel?  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ sorry....

Key word: My exam MAY be on Wednesday!  :P

Have a look at these:

:)

kaufoou

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2016, 09:33:01 am »
+2
Key word: My exam MAY be on Wednesday!  :P

Have a look at these:

:)

Thank you so much ;D
These were all great, especially Home and Away