Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:42 pm

Author Topic: PRELIM Changing Perspective - Language techniques in an Auto Biography  (Read 1300 times)  Share 

Alyssapensini

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: MacKillop college
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Hi Everyone,

So for my area of study for standard english we are doing Changing Perspective.

We have to choose an ORT to compare to the film 'Looking for Alibrandi'.

I want to use Portia de Rossi's auto biography 'unbearable lightness' which represents changing perspective.

My question is, would an auto biography have language techniques in it?
If so, can someone please give me some helpful tips on how to find them in a text. I didn't do much on this during my junior years.

Thanks!
Alyssa

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Hi Everyone,

So for my area of study for standard english we are doing Changing Perspective.

We have to choose an ORT to compare to the film 'Looking for Alibrandi'.

I want to use Portia de Rossi's auto biography 'unbearable lightness' which represents changing perspective.

My question is, would an auto biography have language techniques in it?
If so, can someone please give me some helpful tips on how to find them in a text. I didn't do much on this during my junior years.

Thanks!
Alyssa

Sorry for the late reply Alyssa! I would say that an autobiography would be a less effective choice, purely in my opinion. Module C is all about how the composer creates changing perspectives with their techniques. The interesting thing with an autobiography is that the author is not, well, a professional author, and the writing style is purely recount and reflection.

Now I haven't read that autobiography, so if it is different, by all means use it! To find techniques, in can help to have a little list with you while you read, but the techniques should jump out at you. If you read a sentence where you go, "Whoa, that was a cool sentence," go back and see why you liked it. There is probably a technique there. Pick powerful sentences which are by themselves in a paragraph, they will often contain a technique, as will long descriptive/reflective paragraphs. Don't work too hard to find them though, if they aren't obvious, then it may be better to select a different text  ;D

Hasti

• Adventurer
  • GradReady
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Hey!

Yeah I agree with Jamon, if you're struggling to find effective techniques, maybe just find a different text (unless you're really ale to pull off the auto - biography!)

Best of luck with everything!
Hasti

Tutor of Advanced English (95)