Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:24:20 am

Author Topic: Metalanguage  (Read 3829 times)  Share 

Ayyddaan

• Adventurer
  • Is this meant to be a motivational quote?
  • Respect: 0
Metalanguage
« on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »
I was reading some feedback from the marking centre marking for Module A (M & 1984), and noticed that markers stated: "use complex literary terms or metalanguage with understanding.
Could somebody please explain what metalanguage is and provide some examples to go with it?
HSC Subjects:
(Adv) English
Ext 2 Math
Ext 1 Math
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Metalanguage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 08:05:33 pm »
I was reading some feedback from the marking centre marking for Module A (M & 1984), and noticed that markers stated: "use complex literary terms or metalanguage with understanding.
Could somebody please explain what metalanguage is and provide some examples to go with it?

To make sure I was on the right track I did a quick google  ;)

metalanguage: a form of language or set of terms used for the description or analysis of another language.

So, and I've not heard this term used in this context before, metalanguage is just the words that we use to describe the language/form of the composer. Techniques, forms, all those sorts of buzzwords (EG - "simile" is, to my understanding, metalanguage)  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Metalanguage
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:16:17 pm »

This is a great question!

Metalanguage features in the VCE syllabus a fair bit, so someone has asked this same question on the VCE side of ATAR Notes! Take a look at the response, it has some great examples!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:41:36 pm by jamonwindeyer »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!