Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:21:24 pm

Author Topic: Post-trials/Pre-HSC - thoughts  (Read 2944 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Post-trials/Pre-HSC - thoughts
« on: September 06, 2016, 05:31:11 pm »
Now we are in a period of receiving trial marks back, going through work and improving (or perpetually sleeping), and starting to think about the alarming closeness of the HSC. I'm curious, how are we feeling at this stage? What's your study plan from here on in? What are your weak points or strong points? What do you need help with right now?

My ulterior motive is that I'm organising the slides for the Advanced English lecture right now, so I'd love to know what you feel like you need help with - because it is likely that many others feel the same! I need voices, people! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Post-trials/Pre-HSC - thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:23:06 pm »
Now we are in a period of receiving trial marks back, going through work and improving (or perpetually sleeping), and starting to think about the alarming closeness of the HSC. I'm curious, how are we feeling at this stage? What's your study plan from here on in? What are your weak points or strong points? What do you need help with right now?

My ulterior motive is that I'm organising the slides for the Advanced English lecture right now, so I'd love to know what you feel like you need help with - because it is likely that many others feel the same! I need voices, people! :)

Thought I'd chip in :)

For me, the area I struggle with most is the Area of Study - especially creative (which I need to rewrite). Something I recently had a discussion with my English teacher about is the actual purpose of the Area of Study. Most people know that Mod A is about the value of comparison in shaping responders' understanding, Mod B is about the value of a critical study, and Mod C is about how composers calculated acts of representation shape the meaning of the work. But the whole purpose of Discovery is quite unclear (so maybe going over that would be quite helpful).

For me, it's a process of rewriting the creative and discovery essay, and creating a general scaffold for the various modules which I can take into my exam :). Something else that could be useful is looking at the different styles of questions that can be asked for each module (e.g. contextual, thematic etc. idk, apparently there are a four/five) - something that I would find very very helpful :).

When are the lectures?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:34:01 pm »
When are the lectures?

Thanks for the comments birdwing! Lectures 25th September and 1st-2nd October, details are here, the English lectures are on the 25th! ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 10:03:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments birdwing! Lectures 25th September and 1st-2nd October, details are here, the English lectures are on the 25th! ;D

Jamon

Just curious but is it possible if you could arrange the HSC lectures on weekdays rather than weekends because if the lectures are on weekends, I don't think I'll be able to attend unfortunately :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:33:37 pm »
+2
Jamon

Just curious but is it possible if you could arrange the HSC lectures on weekdays rather than weekends because if the lectures are on weekends, I don't think I'll be able to attend unfortunately :(

Hey conic, unfortunately big events like this can't really be changed on a whim! UTS is still in session in September, so weekdays are impossible :P don't worry though, there will be more lectures next year! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:14:38 pm »
Jamon

What kind of things are you hoping to see in the first round of lectures for the 2017 cohort conic?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Eriennej

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Stella Maris College, Manly
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 06:58:24 pm »
Hi,

Before the trials I had developed a strong emotional push to study for English despite the fact that it causes me great anxiety. When it came to the day of trial paper one, I had a breakdown during reading time, as well as when I went to do Paper 2 and my Modern History exam. In turn I did not complete these exams and have been (apparently) given an estimate. Post-Trials I have been attempting to deal with the issue I have with writing essays, however as demonstrated in my Module B Speeches Viva Voce we did post trials, I yet again had a mental breakdown, not over the presentation but the writing process :'( . The realisation of the HSC being so close has made me extremely worried about my inability to confront even doing a practice essay (eg. just spent the whole weekend planning a practice essay and yet again I did nothing of it) and was wondering if anyone had any tactics or overall strategies of emotionally detaching yourself from your work? For those who love english, I think the most translatable feeling I have with the subject is like a permanent, agitated writers block. So if anyone has had a similar issue and was able to confront it, it would be greatly appreciated if they shared there tactic :)

Thanks
Erin

Ps. My main problem is not the analysis, but presentation of my ideas in essay format