Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am

Author Topic: The discovery in a creative piece?  (Read 4917 times)

jnicko989

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
The discovery in a creative piece?
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:19:59 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on whether I can leave the major discovery until the end of the story? That's what I have done. I've written my creative, but I didn't mean for the discovery to happen so late. Currently kind of hesitant, and I am not sure whether the emotional discovery is quite as spelt out as perhaps it should be, but that can be fixed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:37:34 pm by jnicko989 »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: The discovery in a creative piece?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:42:39 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on whether I can leave the major discovery until the end of the story? That's what I have done. I've written my creative, but I didn't mean for the discovery to happen so late. Currently kind of hesitant, and I am not sure whether the emotional discovery is quite as spelt out as perhaps it should be, but that can be fixed.

Hey! This is a really valid question. So, if your entire story is building and building to a discovery, and the foundations of discovery are well evident in the beginning, it works. However, the notes from the 2015 marking centre have said that the incorporation of the stimulus needs to be evident throughout, rather than just chucked at the end. So this is where your problem is. The story can be perfect now, but when you have to incorporate the exam's question about discovery then you face the issue of having to incorporate whatever discovery they suggest from the outset. This also brings up that your emotional discovery may need some improvement, but when incorporated with whatever type/nature of discovery they suggest, then I suppose that new discovery can compensate for the not totally formed emotional discovery? Of course, work on making that first one perfect if you can! But, do keep in mind the stimulus :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Emerald99

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:51:56 pm »

I did the exact same thing as you and had my discovery at the end of my creative and  lost major marks for that in my trial because I just had like the impact of the discovery described in a few sentences instead of a few paragraphs I guess? So yh its better to incorporate aspects of the stimulus throughout and make the impact of the discovery known.

Moderator Action: Add quote :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:34:24 pm by elysepopplewell »

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:28:36 pm »
I did the exact same thing as you and had my discovery at the end of my creative and  lost major marks for that in my trial because I just had like the impact of the discovery described in a few sentences instead of a few paragraphs I guess? So yh its better to incorporate aspects of the stimulus throughout and make the impact of the discovery known.

Moderator Action: Add quote :)

I too was docked marks for doing this in the trial for reasons they describe as 'not adequately describing the impacts of discovery'. I'd suggest trying to incorporate it earlier in your piece. It feels really artificial to me, because it's as if the climax has already passed and I like to end my stories on a high point, but it seems to be something that isn't worth the risk.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:22:51 pm »
+1
Hey hey :) This may not work for your creative, but it worked for mine so I thought I'd share anyway.

If you can, try and centre each paragraph around one particular element or type of discovery - eg. physical, emotional, spiritual, meta-physical, etc. That way not only are you making sure that you are keeping discovery throughout the whole piece, but you are also greatly increasing your chances of meeting the needs of the stimulus with a prepared response.

Again this may not work for everyone. My narrative didn't exactly have a linear structure and was moreso my protagonists stream of conciousness so that might be why is worked for me. But if it does work with your narrative its something to consider :)

Good luck everyone xx
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Emerald99

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:41:14 pm »
Hey hey :) This may not work for your creative, but it worked for mine so I thought I'd share anyway.

If you can, try and centre each paragraph around one particular element or type of discovery - eg. physical, emotional, spiritual, meta-physical, etc. That way not only are you making sure that you are keeping discovery throughout the whole piece, but you are also greatly increasing your chances of meeting the needs of the stimulus with a prepared response.

Again this may not work for everyone. My narrative didn't exactly have a linear structure and was moreso my protagonists stream of conciousness so that might be why is worked for me. But if it does work with your narrative its something to consider :)

Good luck everyone xx
Thanks! I'll try it, but the thing is with what youre suggesting if the question asked for a specific discovery and you have all sorts of discoveries throughout your narrative wouldn't that make your narrative unclear and like you're not really addressing the question?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:50:07 pm »
Thanks! I'll try it, but the thing is with what youre suggesting if the question asked for a specific discovery and you have all sorts of discoveries throughout your narrative wouldn't that make your narrative unclear and like you're not really addressing the question?

Good question :) When I say include all aspects of discovery, you would still need to be fairly nuanced about it. Don't scream to the reader "here the character is making a physical discovery!" but make reference to one in a way that still adds to the story, but also demonstrates your wider knowledge and understanding of the overall topic - discovery. Also if the stimulus did require you to be specific, draw that aspect out further, and (if you can) turn that moment - if its not already - into a focal point of the story. Sometimes easier said than done I know hahaha, but I hope this helped/cleared it up :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

ml125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:51:14 pm »
+2
If you were to be asked a question like this, I'd suggest to emphasise the type of discovery as addressed in the question however still include other aspects of discovery to assist the overall understanding of the plot. By addressing elements/types, it doesn't necessarily mean to have multiple discoveries but could rather be to explore specific aspects of one particular discovery. It helps to develop a creative piece that encompasses the bulk of the rubric - including multiple aspects of discovery, so it is easier to adapt in an exam situation.
HSC 2016: EE2 | MX1 | Chemistry | Physics
GOAL 2017: Combined Advanced Science/Engineering @ UNSW

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »

Good luck everyone xx

this is actually a pretty good idea, basically spam discoveries inside every paragraph
thanks, i will keep this in mind

massive

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 05:36:00 pm »
Guys if the question was about the impact of discovery, can you just write about having a changed perception? Would that suffice?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 07:08:56 pm »
Guys if the question was about the impact of discovery, can you just write about having a changed perception? Would that suffice?

That is definitely an impact of discovery! Changed perception is more or less also a part of the rubric, so you're ticking two boxes there :)  8)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 05:26:45 pm »
if i leave my story with a cliffhanger like

"I wonder what will happen next..."

will that quality for discoveries are able to allow us to speculate about fufure possibilities

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:08:07 pm »
if i leave my story with a cliffhanger like

"I wonder what will happen next..."

will that quality for discoveries are able to allow us to speculate about fufure possibilities

Please. For the sake of not completely flunking a large part of your English mark, just write a complete story. The markers just dont have time to reflect and speculate. They have the whole state to get through. They'll give you a mark (which probably won't be that good) and move on, no skin off their nose.

I'm not saying don't put down everything and leave nothing to the marker to think about, but certainly do not do a cliffhanger. You feel ripped off as a reader and it is a sign of poor time management. You couldn't do a conclusion so you wrote six words instead.

Sorry if that came over really blunt but it needs to. With 2 days left till Paper 1 this is not the time to be sugarcoating everything but the markers are not going to care. They are relentless 😈😈

Hope this helps and sorry again! I'm sure youll do fine :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 09:09:02 pm »
Please. For the sake of not completely flunking a large part of your English mark, just write a complete story. The markers just dont have time to reflect and speculate. They have the whole state to get through. They'll give you a mark (which probably won't be that good) and move on, no skin off their nose.

I'm not saying don't put down everything and leave nothing to the marker to think about, but certainly do not do a cliffhanger. You feel ripped off as a reader and it is a sign of poor time management. You couldn't do a conclusion so you wrote six words instead.

Sorry if that came over really blunt but it needs to. With 2 days left till Paper 1 this is not the time to be sugarcoating everything but the markers are not going to care. They are relentless 😈😈

Hope this helps and sorry again! I'm sure youll do fine :)

Disagree completely, but with a condition, that the cliffhanger be done well.

There is absolutely no requirement that a story be concluded in the HSC; and indeed, cliffhangers can be effective story mechanisms. That said, I've seen a lot of cliffhangers that are used in cliched ways that don't really assist in portraying anything to the reader. So use with caution, but nothing on the marking again will disadvantage you. It's just an atypical choice that can backfire :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 08:21:15 am »
Disagree completely, but with a condition, that the cliffhanger be done well.

There is absolutely no requirement that a story be concluded in the HSC; and indeed, cliffhangers can be effective story mechanisms. That said, I've seen a lot of cliffhangers that are used in cliched ways that don't really assist in portraying anything to the reader. So use with caution, but nothing on the marking again will disadvantage you. It's just an atypical choice that can backfire :)

Glad you brought forward this point. But, my post still stands as valid that you have to have a pretty damn good cliffhanger and not just "I wonder what will happen next" for it to work. Yes, it can be awesome if it is done right, but it is mostly done in a cheesy, cliched way. I trust that you'll be in the minority who can actually do a good cliffhanger though :)
Have you had experience with them before? Because if so, that will aid you immensely. Just don't leave too much for the marker to figure out because they don't have time!

I'm sure youll smash it tomorrow!! :)