Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:48:58 pm

Author Topic: AOS Study  (Read 3356 times)

pels

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
AOS Study
« on: October 04, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »
Since the only HSC has been 2015 in which AOS discovery was used, can someone give me some test questions similar to HSC style that I can do practise tests on :)

Thanks

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
Re: AOS Study
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 02:45:28 pm »
+1
Since the only HSC has been 2015 in which AOS discovery was used, can someone give me some test questions similar to HSC style that I can do practise tests on :)

Thanks

Hey pels!  :)You can still use most of the 'Belonging' AOS study questions by swapping the word 'belonging' for 'discovery'. Also try this website: https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr12/
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 03:00:14 pm »

Thanks

Also go through the rubric and zoom in on any sections that would throw you off in an exam, and then consider carefully what you would do in an exam condition. if you go through the rubric thoroughly, nothing will be a surprise in the exam :) (Except the stimulus...they always surprise me)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:58:01 am »
i hope this isnt a silly question, but i dont quite understand what people mean by look at the rubric and study using that? how does the rubric help other than just using it to know what the essay should be based on?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:49:54 am »
i hope this isnt a silly question, but i dont quite understand what people mean by look at the rubric and study using that? how does the rubric help other than just using it to know what the essay should be based on?

Never a silly question! ;D so the rubric, as you've correctly said, gives some massive indicators about what the essay question could address. Naturally this should help with study, because it acts like a checklist. Have you prepared for/could you answer questions that focused on all of the dot points listed? If not, that's an area to address! If you look at everything and are confident, then you know you are pretty well prepared. Purely an indicative checklist ;D

The actual study method though is up to you. Practice essays and feedback are essential, either from our markers or from your teachers or peers. Palm cards to memorise quotes are great too, as are summary sheets. Perhaps even record yourself explaining your quotes and techniques and listen to it while you are doing other stuff throughout the day (like cleaning, or whatever) ;D

The study method totally depends on the person, but the rubric should be something everyone uses as a checkpoint to make sure they are covering the right things, and if not, what they should be covering instead :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »

Just adding to the above perfect response:

My way of using the rubric was that I went through every sentence of the rubric and thought "If this sentence were my essay question/creative writing prompt, what would I do?" It's a panic-ridden task some times because you really have to think of the worst case scenario: that they ask you about something you have completely neglected. But the beauty of this task is that you force yourself to think of a way to respond to every single thing they could ask, so you're prepared for anything :)

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 05:47:27 pm »
Thank you Jamon and Elyse!
So does this mean that i need to make an essay on every possible question from the rubric and memorise quotes for all the different questions, or do i just use my generic essay and see if i am able to change my points around to suit the rubric points?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 09:38:05 am »
+1
Thank you Jamon and Elyse!
So does this mean that i need to make an essay on every possible question from the rubric and memorise quotes for all the different questions, or do i just use my generic essay and see if i am able to change my points around to suit the rubric points?

The latter :) Take your generic essay and question yourself about how exactly you would approach different aspects of the rubric :)