Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 06:21:09 am

Author Topic: Can someone read my related text(short story) for techniques and ideas?  (Read 3147 times)  Share 

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
My teacher is horrible at teaching and i don't really know many techniques.
The story is very short , ill copy paste it here:

Hey can you please read my related text for discovery, and identify techniques and maybe some ideas
Its very short, and will probs take you 5-10 mins.

I'll copy paste it here:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The relative advantages of relearning my language
I was never particularly kind to my grandfather. He was my mother's father, and he lived with us when I was a teenager. I remember him coming into the lounge room one night, and when he went to sit down, I said to my brother, "I hope he doesn't sit down." I didn't think my grandfather understood much English, but he understood enough, and as I watched, he straightened up again, and without a word, returned to his room. I was 12 years old.

My grandfather wrote poetry on great rolls of thin white paper with a paintbrush. He offered to read and explain his poems to me several times over the years, but I only let him do it once. I'd let my Chinese go by then, which made listening to him too much of an effort. Though I was raised speaking Chinese, it wasn't long before I lost my language skills. I spoke English all day at school, listened to English all night on TV. I didn't see the point of speaking Chinese. We lived in Australia.

Monday to Friday, Grandad went to the city, dressed in a suit with a waistcoat, a hat, and carrying his walking stick. He would take the bus to the station, the train to the city, the tram to Little Bourke Street. On Mondays, he'd be sitting at a large round table at Dragon Boat Restaurant with other old Chinese men. Tuesdays to Fridays, he was at a small square table by himself with a pot of tea and the Chinese newspaper. I watched him leave in the morning and come back in the afternoon, as punctual and as purposeful as any school kid or office worker, for years.

One afternoon, he didn't come home until well after dark. We assumed he'd got off the bus at the wrong stop or had turned into the wrong street at some point, forcing him to wander around for a bit before finding his way home.

A month after that, he tried to let himself into a stranger's house. It looked just like our house. The yellow rose bush, the painted timber mailbox, even the Ford Falcon parked out the front were the same. But it was the home of a gentle Pakistani couple who let him use the phone to call us.
Two months after that, he fell and hit his head on something. When he didn't come home, mum and I drove around looking for him. We finally found him stumbling along in the dark, two kilometres from the house. There was a trickle of blood down the side of his face.

From that day forward, Grandad was only allowed to go to the city if someone accompanied him. Once or twice during the school holidays that task fell to me.

After rinsing out his milk glass, Grandad would pick up his walking stick and head out into the street. I'd follow, a few steps behind. He wasn't aware of me. He wasn't aware of the milk on his lip, the upside-down watch on his wrist, the scrape of branches against his coat. He had a blank, goofy, content expression on his face, and turned instinctively into Platform 5 when he was at the train station and into Dragon Boat Restaurant when he was on Little Bourke Street.

When he was about to board the wrong tram or turn round the wrong corner, I'd step forward to take him by the elbow and steer him back on course. He'd smile innocently and seem glad to see me. "Hello there Amy. Finished school already?" Then he'd look away and forget I was ever there.

He'd been diagnosed with a brain tumour and, three months later, he died.

At the funeral, my sadness was overshadowed by a sense of regret. I'd denied my grandfather the commonest of kindnesses. I was 16 years old.

I am now 26. A few weeks ago, during a family dinner at a Chinese restaurant, the waiter complimented my mum on the fact that I was speaking to her in Chinese. The waiter told mum with a sigh that his own kids could barely string a sentence together in Chinese. Mum told the waiter I had stopped speaking Chinese a few years into primary school, but that I had suddenly started up again in my late teens.

I have often wandered how aware my mum is of the connection between Grandad's death and my ever-improving Chinese. Whenever I am stuck for a word, I ask her. Whenever I am with her, or relatives, or a waiter at a Chinese restaurant, or a sales assistant at a Chinese department store, I practise. I am constantly adding new words to my Chinese vocabulary, and memorising phrases I can throw into a conversation at will. It is an organic way of relearning a language. Text books and teachers are not necessary since I am only interested in mastering the spoken word. I am not interested in the written word or in the many elements of Chinese culture of which I am ignorant. I am not trying to "discover my roots". I am simply trying to ensure that the next time an elderly relative wants me to listen to them, I am not only willing, I am able
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

it would be very helpful thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Can someone read my related text(short story) for techniques and ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 07:22:04 pm »
My teacher is horrible at teaching and i don't really know many techniques.
The story is very short , ill copy paste it here:

Hey can you please read my related text for discovery, and identify techniques and maybe some ideas
Its very short, and will probs take you 5-10 mins.

Hey Vincent! I mean this in the nicest possible way mate, but we can't do your work for you. It is up to you to analyse your texts and do what you need to do. By all means we can help but we can't do everything! I'll do the first few paragraphs to show you the sort of things you should be looking for though :)

I was never particularly kind to my grandfather. He was my mother's father, and he lived with us when I was a teenager. Short, truncated sentences. I remember him coming into the lounge room one night, and when he went to sit down, I said to my brother, "I hope he doesn't sit down." Dialogue. I didn't think my grandfather understood much English, but he understood enough, and as I watched, he straightened up again, and without a word, returned to his room. I was 12 years old. Simplistic, blunt tone and short sentences.

My grandfather wrote poetry on great rolls of thin white paper with a paintbrush.Tactile imagery for 'thin'. He offered to read and explain his poems to me several times over the years, but I only let him do it once. I'd let my Chinese go by then, which made listening to him too much of an effort. Though I was raised speaking Chinese, it wasn't long before I lost my language skills. Alliteration in 'lost my language skills.' I spoke English all day at school, listened to English all night on TV. Asyndeton. I didn't see the point of speaking Chinese. We lived in Australia. Short truncated sentences!

Monday to Friday, Grandad went to the city, dressed in a suit with a waistcoat, a hat, and carrying his walking stick. Visual imagery. He would take the bus to the station, the train to the city, the tram to Little Bourke Street. Asyndeton, listing. accumulation. On Mondays, he'd be sitting at a large round table at Dragon Boat Restaurant with other old Chinese men. Tuesdays to Fridays, he was at a small square table by himself with a pot of tea and the Chinese newspaper. I watched him leave in the morning and come back in the afternoon, as punctual and as purposeful as any school kid or office worker, for years. Alliteration in 'punctual and as purposeful.'

You can see how I'm spotting literary techniques primarily, and a bit of imagery. There isn't much figurative language here. Sentence structure is manipulated to good effect!! :)

By all means run individual ideas past us and we can see if you are on the right track! Remember to consider why each technique was used, what does it achieve? I hope this helps :)

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Can someone read my related text(short story) for techniques and ideas?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:12:22 pm »
Hey Vincent! I mean this in the nicest possible way mate, but we can't do your work for you. It is up to you to analyse your texts and do what you need to do. By all means we can help but we can't do everything! I'll do the first few paragraphs to show you the sort of things you should be looking for though :)

I was never particularly kind to my grandfather. He was my mother's father, and he lived with us when I was a teenager. Short, truncated sentences. I remember him coming into the lounge room one night, and when he went to sit down, I said to my brother, "I hope he doesn't sit down." Dialogue. I didn't think my grandfather understood much English, but he understood enough, and as I watched, he straightened up again, and without a word, returned to his room. I was 12 years old. Simplistic, blunt tone and short sentences.

My grandfather wrote poetry on great rolls of thin white paper with a paintbrush.Tactile imagery for 'thin'. He offered to read and explain his poems to me several times over the years, but I only let him do it once. I'd let my Chinese go by then, which made listening to him too much of an effort. Though I was raised speaking Chinese, it wasn't long before I lost my language skills. Alliteration in 'lost my language skills.' I spoke English all day at school, listened to English all night on TV. Asyndeton. I didn't see the point of speaking Chinese. We lived in Australia. Short truncated sentences!

Monday to Friday, Grandad went to the city, dressed in a suit with a waistcoat, a hat, and carrying his walking stick. Visual imagery. He would take the bus to the station, the train to the city, the tram to Little Bourke Street. Asyndeton, listing. accumulation. On Mondays, he'd be sitting at a large round table at Dragon Boat Restaurant with other old Chinese men. Tuesdays to Fridays, he was at a small square table by himself with a pot of tea and the Chinese newspaper. I watched him leave in the morning and come back in the afternoon, as punctual and as purposeful as any school kid or office worker, for years. Alliteration in 'punctual and as purposeful.'

You can see how I'm spotting literary techniques primarily, and a bit of imagery. There isn't much figurative language here. Sentence structure is manipulated to good effect!! :)

By all means run individual ideas past us and we can see if you are on the right track! Remember to consider why each technique was used, what does it achieve? I hope this helps :)

Hey, thank you for all this help on techniques, its just my knowledge of technique is very standard.
Do you have notes about techniques (namely structural ones)?

Also, can you please read over just my 1 paragraph of analysing to see if makes sense in answering the question:
(Essay question:“The process of discovery involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known. “
SImilarly in Choi’s recount “The Relative advantages of learning my language” also portrays new world and values through discovery. Living in Australia, Choi never saw “the point of speaking Chinese” and didn’t care about her culture, resulting in her forgetting how to speak Chinese. “I spoke in English all day, listened to English all night on TV” utilise the repetition of “all” to highlight how English dominated her life and ultimately, her values. But it is through the discovery of her grandfather’s death that enabled Choi’s new values and worlds. She uses first person in  “my sadness was overshadowed by a sense of regret” to give us her perspective of her emotions of this event. As a result, she is determined in relearning her language to regain her cultural identity, which is highlighted through the succinct sentence of “I practise”.Lost the chance of being able to communicate with her grandfather in the past, she wants to ensure that next time an elderly wants her to listen, she states “I am not only willing, I am able”. Her use of an anaphora in “I am” links to her new value of learning her culture.  Hence, the discovery of her grandfather’s death has made her realise the value of cultural identity and motivated her to learn Chinese again. Therefore, it is clear that discoveries allows new world and values and this challenges individual's perspective on what is known.

Thank you.