Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:29:58 am

Author Topic: Using flashbacks and time jumps in creative writing.  (Read 4749 times)

cjrig

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Using flashbacks and time jumps in creative writing.
« on: October 09, 2016, 05:41:56 pm »
In my trial exam I got 12/15 for my creative writing because I need to "develop my character and choice of language" which is what i'm currently working on. I recently gave the same creative to a different teacher a few days ago and she gave it a 9/15 because I "used time jumps and flashbacks which is ineffective for creative writing."

Due to this comment I'm unsure on whether to use time jumps and flashbacks for my HSC exam. Is using time jumps and flashbacks going to bring my mark down in the HSC?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:20:22 pm by cjrig »

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Using flashbacks and time jumps in creative writing.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »
In my trial exam I got 12/15 for my creative writing because I need to "develop my character and choice of language" which is what i'm currently working on. I recently gave the same creative to my a different teacher a few days ago and she gave it a 9/15 because I "used time jumps and flashbacks which is ineffective for creative writing."

Due to this comment I'm unsure on whether to use time jumps and flashbacks for my HSC exam. Is using time jumps and flashbacks going to bring my mark down in the HSC?

I can only give you advice based on personal experience; I often used flash backs, time jumps etc. although only briefly, and I was never told it was problematic. If it is necessary to the plot, if it develops your characters, and if it isn't too cheesy ('For a moment, James was back in 'Nam' etc.) then I don't think you should run into any problems with HSC markers!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:51:42 pm »
On the topic of flashbacks, I used one in my trial but the marker did not know it was a flash back and said it was confusing and lacked cohesion. How do I make it obvious that it is a flashback besides indenting the paragraph and changing the tense??
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

cjrig

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »
I can only give you advice based on personal experience; I often used flash backs, time jumps etc. although only briefly, and I was never told it was problematic. If it is necessary to the plot, if it develops your characters, and if it isn't too cheesy ('For a moment, James was back in 'Nam' etc.) then I don't think you should run into any problems with HSC markers!

Okay thanks! For my creative writing the two flashbacks I use is necessary, as it shows how my character got to the situation that they are in (in the present).

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 06:07:38 pm »
+2
On the topic of flashbacks, I used one in my trial but the marker did not know it was a flash back and said it was confusing and lacked cohesion. How do I make it obvious that it is a flashback besides indenting the paragraph and changing the tense??

Hey! I used stars to signify that something weird had happened, and then just made it clear in my text that it was a flash back. ie. I would do something like

Cjrig, I think that sounds totally fine :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »
Hey! I used stars to signify that something weird had happened, and then just made it clear in my text that it was a flash back. ie. I would do something like

Cjrig, I think that sounds totally fine :)

I used this as a practice creative and my teacher thought i was squiggling random lines haha

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:47:08 pm »
I don't know whether this will work in your situation, but when I transition into a flashback I always finish the sentence before with an ellipses and try to italicize my writing. I use the star thing as well :)

If you can, maybe put a date at the beginning of the flashback? That would make it clearer, but I don't know whether that fits with your work, or would ruin the flow of it.

Hope this helps!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Ayyddaan

• Adventurer
  • Is this meant to be a motivational quote?
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 02:33:12 pm »

I used this as a practice creative and my teacher thought i was squiggling random lines haha

When you do the 'stars' just make asterisks and make them spaced out

I usually just use three to show a shift in time; recommended by my teacher who was an HSC marker back in her days
HSC Subjects:
(Adv) English
Ext 2 Math
Ext 1 Math
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry