Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:15:12 am

Author Topic: Context for the tempest  (Read 5157 times)

massive

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Context for the tempest
« on: October 09, 2016, 06:43:07 pm »
Hey guys, as the title suggests my question is about the context of the tempest. What is it? And how much do we need to know. Most importantly, the thing I am real confused about is how you incorporate the context in your essays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Context for the tempest
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
hey :)

Theres quite a lot to talk about context wise! So for a detailed description check these out :) They helped me out a bunch.

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/tempest/context.html
https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/t/the-tempest/about-the-tempest

A good one to discuss is colonialism, as it directly relates to Caliban's character. The Tempest, and Shakespeare in general, is rather progressive in it's critique of colonialism and imperialism which is interesting :)

In terms of how much you should talk about, don't go too crazy with it (which is exactly what I tend to do :/ haha), as you should be analysing the text in relation to discovery, not just providing a narrative of the time. However it's good to slip some stuff in every so often to demonstrate wider knowledge and understanding, especially if it helps to prove a point you are making. :)

I'm probably not the best person to ask in regards to integration, but just every so often (usually at the beginning of a paragraph/essay) provide 1-2 sentences of contextual detail? Theres not much else I can say in that regard, but I good way to practice is to write an essay the way you would normally, then go back and look over it, and see if there are any moments where a bit of context will help the sentence, and add it there!

Hope this helped! Good luck  ;D
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Context for the tempest
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:05:21 pm »
usually what i like to do with my essay is briefly give context about the Tempest in the introduction and some during my main body paragraphs. The only context I've discussed in class is in the last scene when Prospero talks to the audience which is like Shakespeare's farewell to playwriting but there are a lot of different perspectives through out the play.