Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:41 am

Author Topic: Thesis statements  (Read 3253 times)  Share 

justdoit

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Thesis statements
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:06:48 pm »
Hi,

If the question mentions language form and features, do we have to use those words in the thesis statement?  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Thesis statements
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:13:50 pm »
Hi,

If the question mentions language form and features, do we have to use those words in the thesis statement?  :)

Hey!! Not necessarily in the Thesis statement, but those ideas should feature prominently in your introductory paragraph! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:36:06 pm »
Hi,

I will extend on Jamon's response:

I find that introductions that say things like, "Through techniques such as similes, metaphors and past tense, Smith conveys discovery in its unexpected nature" - are really boring and ehh. Wasted words, in my opinion. So don't go listing the forms and features. In Module B I found that defining textual integrity as the coherent experience of forms and features with a meaningful message (rough words) was a really good approach. So, of course, be seamless in your integration of the question :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 05:22:48 pm »
For wilfred Owen.
if the question is like "How does Owen portray interesting ideas of loss in his poems"
Would an ok thesis be

"Through poetic devices, Owen the war poet is able to convey intriguing ideas of loss" then mention context => texts => ideas

also can i mention Owen in my thesis? cause its like a close study of text.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04:12 pm »
For wilfred Owen.
if the question is like "How does Owen portray interesting ideas of loss in his poems"
Would an ok thesis be

"Through poetic devices, Owen the war poet is able to convey intriguing ideas of loss" then mention context => texts => ideas

also can i mention Owen in my thesis? cause its like a close study of text.

Hey! So first off, yep, for Close Study of Text talking about the text in the Thesis is definitely okay (I never did, but definitely all sweet). I'd like you to go into more detail about loss BEFORE you go into how its portrayed, but that's just a rough guide, your full paragraph could work fine :)