Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:17 pm

Author Topic: English  (Read 1249 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
English
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:18:40 pm »
Hey,

My HSC is next year and I want to start prepping for the skills in English to do the best I can when the time comes.

• The things I need to work on are:
- legibility of my writing
- Ideas in creative writing. I would usually ponder on what to write and the words just don't come out, therefore I won't  be able to write and write.
- Elaboration on ideas and analysis in essay writing.
-Word Choice

I literally have no hope for my self now :( I just got my prelims back and they weren't up to my standards. I had to write TWO essays, I got 11/20 for Different Worlds and 16/20 for Distinctive characters.

Are there any strategy to improve few of my many aspects in English?

Also, how can we maximise our preparation for Paper 1 and especially 2? Do we need to memorise every single text and/or know them really well. As well as, pick which texts we would like to write about in paper 2.
Also, how do we prepare for the creative writing for Paper 1? Should we compose one beforehand or make a character?

Sorry if it's a lot of question :/ I'm just really curious about these things and I'm new to the system XD

2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 01:08:06 am »
Hey,
My HSC is next year and I want to start prepping for the skills in English to do the best I can when the time comes.

Hey Dalvin! Good on you for wanting to get the leg up on your HSC year!! That is awesome and we'd be super happy to help :)

The things I need to work on are:
- legibility of my writing
- Ideas in creative writing. I would usually ponder on what to write and the words just don't come out, therefore I won't  be able to write and write.
- Elaboration on ideas and analysis in essay writing.
- Word Choice

On handwriting, this article is all you need! That and practice :) try reading some creatives written by 2016 students to get your juices flowing for Creatives, and again, practice. Another thread in that same section has essays you can use to get an idea of what is required. And practice. See a theme? You need to be visualising what is required, seeing it done by others, and then just working to do it yourself. It will never happen overnight, but you can get there with hard work and determination! :)

I literally have no hope for my self now :( I just got my prelims back and they weren't up to my standards. I had to write TWO essays, I got 11/20 for Different Worlds and 16/20 for Distinctive characters.

These marks sound good to me, I think you are begin too harsh on yourself, you've got a great starting point!

Try and relax and just focus on putting an hour or two into your English every weekend; it will get better. I've not answered your questions on the exams, it is way too early for that. Start tomorrow! Read the article on handwriting and write a practice paragraph. Just keep working! :) ATAR notes is always here for you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
Re: English
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 07:46:46 am »
+1
Thank you SO MUCH! :) Thank god it's Friday... I can squeeze in a few more hours tonight to work on it
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD