Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:21:12 pm

Author Topic: Discovery related text suggestions?  (Read 3797 times)  Share 

f_tan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Discovery related text suggestions?
« on: November 08, 2016, 08:53:31 pm »
Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions on related texts for discovery? My prescribed text is The Tempest, so it would be great to have a related text that is similar/can be compared to the Tempest. Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Discovery related text suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:05:44 pm »
Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions on related texts for discovery? My prescribed text is The Tempest, so it would be great to have a related text that is similar/can be compared to the Tempest. Thanks!

Hey f_tan! I didn't study Discovery, but the big one that our resident expert recommends is Distant Lands by Tim Winton. It's extremely conceptually rich and I think it works quite well with the Tempest :)

If you like, check out our essay marking thread to see what some other people have used!  I know there are a few Tempest essays in there; they might give you some ideas you can explore! :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:25:23 pm »
I did the Tempest! I posted my notes on the related texts The Perks of Being a Wallflower and An Idiot Abroad in the 'Choosing the Right ORT' thread.

Some other related texts that worked well for some of my friends include;
- Juno
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- The Road Not Taken (poem by Robert Frost)
- Invictus (poem by W.E Henley)

Hope this helps! Good luck with your HSC :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:54:21 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:08 pm »
Is Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom a good related for The Tempest?

thx

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 04:25:49 pm »
Hey f_tan! I didn't study Discovery, but the big one that our resident expert recommends is Distant Lands by Tim Winton. It's extremely conceptually rich and I think it works quite well with the Tempest :)

If you like, check out our essay marking thread to see what some other people have used!  I know there are a few Tempest essays in there; they might give you some ideas you can explore! :)

This x10!!! Highly recommend this.
In case you are after picture books though The Rabbits, Shaun Tan and John Marsden is also quite good. Just bear in mind I did Coast Road poems for my AoS.

This text is also good if you are in a pickle for Mod C People and Landscapes. I won't lie that this saved my HSC when my Mod C ORT didn't fit.