Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 07:54:39 pm

Author Topic: AOS creatives  (Read 1191 times)

CaitlinSavins

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
AOS creatives
« on: November 13, 2016, 10:36:12 pm »
Hey I was just wondering if there's any topics that are off limits totally in the AOS Discovery creative writing part. I'm just wondering because so far I've written about a transgirl and a gay disabled man. Is there anything that I definitely should not write about?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: AOS creatives
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:12:17 pm »
Hey I was just wondering if there's any topics that are off limits totally in the AOS Discovery creative writing part. I'm just wondering because so far I've written about a transgirl and a gay disabled man. Is there anything that I definitely should not write about?

Hey Caitlin! Most topics are okay when treated delicately; including your choice. Provided you approach the topic with care, and with a purpose, then it is definitely okay.

The issue with this sort of stuff isn't so much being inappropriate, but being cliche. That's more damaging in most scenarios. Be sure that you aren't tackling a topic that is a little too 'heavy,' and thus not exploring it adequately. This happens a lot for topics like "immigrants" or "orphans", lots of people tackle these in very superficial and cliched ways, which doesn't score well. Essentially, make sure you can explore the chosen topic effectively! :)

The topics I can think of off the top of my head that would be total no go zones:

- Terrorism and Graphic Political Violence (an Extension 1 student had some serious trouble for a graphic story they wrote about a terrorist plotting to assassinate the Prime Minister)
- Rape/Sexual Assault (it can be done, but seriously far too risky. You can suggest that it has played a role for your character, but don't delve into specifics at all.)
- Graphic Violence in General
- Graphic Sex Scenes
- Pedophilia

Mostly though, it's about approach. I wrote a story about a gay adolescent in a highly religious family, and parts of it were fairly scathing towards aspects of Catholicism; but it scored well for me even at a Catholic School. Because it was handled delicately and with a purpose :) provided you do the same with your subject matter, you'll be absolutely fine! :)