Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:31:57 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 130148 times)

CyberScopes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2017, 03:25:54 am »
+2
If I were to suggest a related text - and what I used for my HSC throughout the year - I would suggest the short film Shelter. I think the fact is that the moral of the short film resonated well with me and I had a firm grasp of what the short film was trying to convey. In fact, Ive watched the short film so many times and liked it so much that by the time I went into my exam I didn't need to recall specifically preset techniques or quotes, since I could just pick whatever scene and analyse it on the spot.

I dont think its ever been used before, but i think its quite a nice choice especially if your aiming to go for a sense of discovery through emotions and emotional interactions.

PS If anyone needs some analysis of a few quotes for that short film, I can write them up, just let me know
Want to track your WAM, organise your marks and analyse your progress throughout your degree, all on your phone?
Get Unicore now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atude.mywam

2017 ATAR: 93.10
Mathematics 2U | Mathematics Extension 1 | Advanced English | Physics | IPT | Economics
Software Engineering at UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2017, 09:45:07 pm »
If I were to suggest a related text - and what I used for my HSC throughout the year - I would suggest the short film Shelter. I think the fact is that the moral of the short film resonated well with me and I had a firm grasp of what the short film was trying to convey. In fact, Ive watched the short film so many times and liked it so much that by the time I went into my exam I didn't need to recall specifically preset techniques or quotes, since I could just pick whatever scene and analyse it on the spot.

I dont think its ever been used before, but i think its quite a nice choice especially if your aiming to go for a sense of discovery through emotions and emotional interactions.

PS If anyone needs some analysis of a few quotes for that short film, I can write them up, just let me know

You could pop it over on the related text suggestions thread for other people to check out.
I'll check out this film soon. Can i just google "shelter" and it'll come up or what?
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

CyberScopes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2017, 10:06:32 am »
You could pop it over on the related text suggestions thread for other people to check out.
I'll check out this film soon. Can i just google "shelter" and it'll come up or what?

Yeah, youtube
Want to track your WAM, organise your marks and analyse your progress throughout your degree, all on your phone?
Get Unicore now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atude.mywam

2017 ATAR: 93.10
Mathematics 2U | Mathematics Extension 1 | Advanced English | Physics | IPT | Economics
Software Engineering at UNSW

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2017, 05:26:31 pm »
+1

Hey there! Thanks SO much for your suggestion. I'm sure students of the coming cohort will see this and find it very useful!
If you have any notes or essays on this, we'd love for you to upload them to the "Notes" tab at the very top there for students of the coming cohort to use :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2017, 11:41:12 am »
Hey! Just wondering if anyone on here has used a speech of Barak Obama's?
I was thinking particularly of the his Inaugural speech, but if anyone has any other ideas on speeches- can u let me know???

Thanks ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2017, 05:32:50 pm »
Hey! Just wondering if anyone on here has used a speech of Barak Obama's?
I was thinking particularly of the his Inaugural speech, but if anyone has any other ideas on speeches- can u let me know???

Thanks ;D
I don't know about any of barack obama's speeches, but i found a speech by Ronald Regen regarding the challenger disaster which i reckon would be a solid related text!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2017, 09:01:44 pm »
Ok, great! I will check that out now.
Thanks heaps for your help!!

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2017, 09:26:35 am »
hey guys,

Does anyone know some good related texts that can be paired with Robery Gray of poetry?

From theyam

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2017, 11:56:09 am »
Hey :)
Just wondering what robert frost poem would directly relate to the Speech on the Disaster Challenge?
I was thinking of maybe doing the 'Tuft of Flowers' but I wasn't sure if it was a very good choice...

Thanks!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2017, 12:40:01 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the Speech on the Disaster Challenge?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2017, 03:37:14 pm »

I believe it is this speech (also linked in the OP) ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2017, 06:21:03 pm »
It was a speech by American President, Ronald Regen regarding the NASA shuttle challenger, which exploded 90 seconds after being launched. He made the speech during a national address regarding the disaster.
Jamon posted a link to the actual speech above ^^^^

LDDTRB

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2017, 09:14:42 pm »
I'm trying to find a song for discovery. Any ideas?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:54 pm »
Okay, so im trying to find a related text for "wheather a discovery is unexpected or emerges from careful planning it can still reveal suprising consequences" Can anyone help??
Elyse-can you recconmend a good one from the list?
Im also looking for a text that has this in it, but also has other types of discoveries (something well rounded) to use throughout my hsc

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34:40 pm »
+1
Okay, so im trying to find a related text for "wheather a discovery is unexpected or emerges from careful planning it can still reveal suprising consequences" Can anyone help??
Elyse-can you recconmend a good one from the list?
Im also looking for a text that has this in it, but also has other types of discoveries (something well rounded) to use throughout my hsc

Hi there :)

I'm doing Bill Brysons 'A short history of nearly everything,' that is basically a novel about various scientific discoveries and their impact on society. i think it could work well for your question, as it critiques the objectivity of science and instead champions that discovery is a much more organic and haphazard process. It does this by giving us the personal and more human side of famous scientists and their discoveries - like newtons 'discovery' of gravity and some other guys discovery of a tpe of bacteria in our gut - suggesting that discoveries are not at all predictable or measureable, as the nature of science is, but rather more spontaneous. Its a great text to compare the two types of disovery - planned and unplanned.

Hope this helps in some way  :)

Mish